Buying Decision Between 2 Boats, Your Choice? 19ft V8's

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Guys,

I'm back to boat shopping again. Wasn't planning on it (sucks). I bought a boat last fall & didn't test run it nor did I check the block because the seller on ebay had 100% feedback and to my surprise the block has been patched shut one of the (water Jackets) and now this spring while running the engine over heats. Yes did all the checks & maintance, same results. The boat is 1985 Century BR3000 19ft w / 305 merc that I have $2,600 in & nothing to show for.

So now I have a choice to make. I'm on a budget so I have to look at older early to mid 80's 305's or 350's in 19ft boats. I love the hull design of both Century boats (Identical) listed below.

1st option:

$2,300 / $2,000 best price - 1985 Century BR3000 19ft w / 350 merc (260hp). Willing to test run. See link below for actual listing:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/2997811485.html

2nd option:

$1,500 / $1,300 without SS Prop - 1981 Century BR3000 19ft w / 305 Merc (228hp). Willing to test run. See link below for actual listing:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/boa/3025132421.html

Chicago is 4hr drive

Belleville is 7.25hr drive

I live in IA by the way.

Which would you choose? Why?

Many Thanks!

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Buying Decision Between 2 Boats, Your Choice? 19ft V8's

The second one sounds like a gamble to me. The first one seems ok.

Have you looked into replacing your engine? If the rest of your boat is OK and you like it then an engine replacement, or at least the block and freshening up the heads, may be better than another boat.

At that price these boats will have other things wrong, keep that in mind. Weigh all the goods and bads with your boat against new and as yet unknown goods and bads with any other boat.

The 2nd one may be a good source for a new engine! Offer him $800 and he keeps the trailer. Use your trailer to pick it up (if you can get your boat off the trailer). Use the engine out of it, then figure out how to get rid of it later. Be sure and take his offer of a sea trial to be sure that engine is OK though!

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

They Both look good to me (providing they pass boat ride and checking) but the second one would have to leave the trailer as shown for me to get it!

ziggy

Admiral

looks like your sold on century's. ? there are other mfgs too. unless ya just gotta have a century.
imho, i'd go find a 'buying a used boat' list on line. maybe 2 or three lists. put them together and then go look at boats. when i bought mine i had a 4 page list. it went from inspecting the bottom of the boat, physically looking and feeling it. crawling from bow to stern underneath it. to, checking compression and drive pressure tests. find a list somewhere and follow it when your looking at a boat.
also. imho, it's the boat that's critical. like stringers, sole and transom wood. most boats have this. if the wood is rotten, the rest of the boat and it's amenities will be irrelevant. even just looking at the drain hole to see if it has rot juice stains running from it can be an indicator. along with fasteners that are bleeding a rust stain. check real good for wood rot.

one thing i for sure wanted was easy as i could get access to the engine compartment. some of them v8s are really buried inside the hull. a nightmare to work on i'm sure.

with a used boat, it's gonna be condition, condition, condition. less about who made it....

JoLin

Vice Admiral

^^^ What Maclin said ^^^

If the rest of your boat is in decent shape, why not replace the engine? At the age and price of the boats you're shopping, you're rolling the dice again if you buy another one.

My .02

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im with Maclin on this, have you looked into replacing your motor?
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/marine-engine-196786-p-1251.html

Thank you for the link. I see company in Rapido Marine in Florida professionally rebuilds.

Link for 305 merc short & long block http://www.rapidomarine.com/default.aspx?p=/engines/default.aspx

305 5.0L ENGINE 1970 to 1985 chevy

(2 piece rear main seal)

Click on image to see more detailed pictures

This is a completely remanufactured,1970 to 1979 or 1980 to 85(you must specify in check out), 5.0 (305) TRUE marine engine.Will work with all MerCruiser, OMC, Volvo Penta, Pleasure Craft, Crusader ,Chris Craft, Yamaha & more.

Short Block (with no heads):

$1200

Pickup

Domestic Delivery:
$1200 + $150

Long Block (with heads):

$1350

Pickup

Domestic Delivery:
$1350 + $150

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

The second one sounds like a gamble to me. The first one seems ok.

Have you looked into replacing your engine? If the rest of your boat is OK and you like it then an engine replacement, or at least the block and freshening up the heads, may be better than another boat.

At that price these boats will have other things wrong, keep that in mind. Weigh all the goods and bads with your boat against new and as yet unknown goods and bads with any other boat.

The 2nd one may be a good source for a new engine! Offer him $800 and he keeps the trailer. Use your trailer to pick it up (if you can get your boat off the trailer). Use the engine out of it, then figure out how to get rid of it later. Be sure and take his offer of a sea trial to be sure that engine is OK though!

Yes, my mechanic wants $3,000 for a Jasper engine with install.

He may let me buy a non-Jasper Reman and the price I'm looking at is right around $2,250 w/install so I'm on the fence.

4 days ago I took off the drain plug cover and noticed wetness in the wood. There is still a very small amount of water coming out of the bottom hole drain plug hole (see pic) for water stain. The wood is drying out and I press real hard & the wood doesen't cave in or break so I think the wood is ok??

Please look at the pic & let me know your thought?

Drain Plug Pic.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I liken I/Os to Harley Davidson motorcycles, they're beautiful and real nice if you can afford to buy one brand new... but don't buy a used one unless you just really love to work on them.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

^^^ What Maclin said ^^^

If the rest of your boat is in decent shape, why not replace the engine? At the age and price of the boats you're shopping, you're rolling the dice again if you buy another one.

My .02

Yeah it's 50/50. The boat has some deep scratches & gouges on both sides of the boat and the front keel is showing probably a good 10 to 14 inch strip of fiber glass.

I wanted to upload these files but the site keeps insisting the file is too big.

Maclin

Admiral

That plug fixture looks like it has been patched before. The stuff oozing out that bottom hole is not a good sign. It sounds like you are not all that keen on the boat you have so I understand looking at other boats.

Check out that first boat, it to me is the better of the choices. You know more now, so it will not be as easy to "get took" on the next one.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

That plug fixture looks like it has been patched before. The stuff oozing out that bottom hole is not a good sign. It sounds like you are not all that keen on the boat you have so I understand looking at other boats.

Check out that first boat, it to me is the better of the choices. You know more now, so it will not be as easy to "get took" on the next one.

Hey Maclin you mentioned that you think it has been patched before. So the ooozing color is the actual product or silicone used to fill in the screw holes before the drain plug was re-installed?

Maclin

Admiral

Hard to tell from the pic, this is just opinion. Just going from the pic it looks to me like the garboard drain fitting had come loose and leaked before and the transom soaked up water, and it was re-done but just screwed back into wet wood. Again, just opinion, no benefit of hands on investigation.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hard to tell from the pic, this is just opinion. Just going from the pic it looks to me like the garboard drain fitting had come loose and leaked before and the transom soaked up water, and it was re-done but just screwed back into wet wood. Again, just opinion, no benefit of hands on investigation.

Your assessment is probably right on. The holes didn't have any silicone in them and the silicone that boded the the fitting to the fiberglass was loosing it's grip / strength when I took it off. The actual screws didn't put up a fight when I took them out.

As a test, I did put in one screw, the very bottom to see if the screw would bite and the internal grip was alot stronger. That's why I'm on the fence.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think if you are looking at boats in this price range they are all going to have these kinds of issues. Boating is a pay now or pay later adventure and you must choose which one you wish to experience.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I think if you are looking at boats in this price range they are all going to have these kinds of issues. Boating is a pay now or pay later adventure and you must choose which one you wish to experience.

There's no doubt about that in my mind!

Any I/O bought in that age group and price range should be considered a "project" boat and should be taken apart at home and looked at and fixed before putting it on the water.

Taken apart means hull, engine, and drive.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

There's no doubt about that in my mind!

Any I/O bought in that age group and price range should be considered a "project" boat and should be taken apart at home and looked at and fixed before putting it on the water.

Taken apart means hull, engine, and drive.

Thanks for the info & good to know.