Buying a used family boat with good wakeboard wake

jaybytez

Recruit
I have been starting to research a family boat that I can enjoy wakeboarding behind, mainly because I want to seat around 10 people, with a tower, and find a boat under 25k. The wakeboard boats I have looked at under this range are generally quite a bit older and are direct drives (which I learned to wakeboard behind a slalom boat and the wake was frustratingly small, without fat sacks).

I have been looking at two boats, a 2004 220 SSI Chaparral (but it doesn't come with toys) and a 214 Four Winns Funship (that comes with all the toys). I have read some of the other forums where boat manufacturers are ranked and it appears that Chaparral always ranks higher than Four Winns. This is my first boat and I am not sure how much that should way in my decision (group up with a SeaRay and Dad had a 34 Four Winns that he loved).

One more piece of information, I am in no way delusional about my abilities to wakeboard. I really enjoy it, and if I can do a flip trick in my lifetime, that would be awesome. I am no way an advanced/expert, so I don't need the extreme wake/cost, but I do want a wake with enough pop that if I try to do flip tricks on, I won't get decapitated by the water below me.

So a few questions around this:
1) How does the dual prop on this effect the size/shape of the wake?
2) Is the Four Winns a good enough first/family boat, or should I go after the Chaparral even without any toys (that I would have to buy). I keep hearing friends compare Four Winns to a Ford and Chaparral to a higher quality, but I have a Ford truck that is inexpensive and has done the job without issue for 13 yrs.
3) And when buying a used boat (Chaparral is harder because it is 1.5 hrs away), is it best to ask about having the boat evaluated by a shop? What is the best/proper used boat etiquette to verify the quality of the boat?

Thanks for the help...jay

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Buying a used family boat with good wakeboard wake

Welcome to iBoats . . .

No real difference between Four Winns and Chaparral IMHO, so don't think that you are loosing out on anything. The actual condition of the boat will be most important.

You will want to have a marine survey done on the boat and a mechanical inspection/testing of the engine and drive system. SAMS and NAMS are the 2 big marine survey organizations in the US.

haulnazz15

Captain

The Ford vs Lincoln is probably a safe comparison on the Four Winns vs Chap. The Chap will generally have a little bit better upholstery, perhaps some more wood or stainless steel appointments and other options/luxuries. Whether or not you need the extra luxury items and slightly better fit/finish is entirely subjective and up to you. They are both going to be using the exact same Mercruiser or VolvoPenta drivetrains.

Once you have decided on which boat you want to buy, you can hire a professional marine surveyor for a few hundred to do a full inspection on the boat. This should give you a good idea of what you're buying. However, with 2004 models of either boat, there isn't likely to be any structural concern as they should both be wood-free for the stringers and transom I think. So mechanical, electrical, and visual issues are what you'd be comparing. I highly recommend an on-water test drive of each boat before you buy to really get a feel for how you will use the boat and how each handles.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dual prop would be the preferred option if one of them has it. It will not affect the wake but will give you more control over holding plane in such a large boat at wakeboard speeds. If you end up needing trim tabs or smart tabs to hold plane at wakeboard speeds, then those will affect the wake.

A mastercraft 205 at wakeboard speeds with some weight in it will throw a plenty big wake for you. So will a light direct drive, but will not fit the family as well.

See if you can find a used Moomba Mobius and check one out, and don't be scared of the direct drive either.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here you go, and no outdrive to maintain:

2003 Moomba Gravity Games Addition

I love my IO bowrider, but kind of wish I had bit the bullet and gone with something like that from the start since watersports are my #1 thing.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

If you poke around the wakeboard forums you will see the hull makes all the difference in the world for wakeboarding, and dd's are fine in properly weighted. I have attached a graph I shamelessly stole form wakeboarder.com regarding "budget" boats" that make great wakes.

budget_graph_large.jpg

jaybytez

Recruit

Thanks for all the quick and valuable information it is super helpful, I will definitely go through survey/inspection when I finally select the used boat that I want to move forward with.

I have been looking at two other boats:

Used 1999 Mastercraft Maristar 210, Sacramento, Ca - 95835 - BoatTrader.com
1999 MasterCraft MariStar 205V WakeBoard Boat

The second one is a 205V which has had ballast put into two spots including the center location and a bench seat added, marked as 27k but said they could sell between 23-25k (just not sure the extra few 1ks are worth it).

Both boats can seat at least 10 I think, but like you mentioned, it might not fit the family as well. The space is more constrained than the Chaparral or Four Winns models. But the Mastercraft 205V probably has the best wake of them all (referencing the image that was provided as well).

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 22' sportdeck with the 5.0 MPI Volvo and duoprop that is rated for 12 people (2007 Azure AZ220, 4300# dry) and cannot imagine attempting any type of watersports (short of tubing) with 10 people on board. If you do end up with the Four Winns be prepared to get trim tabs if it doesn't already have them and a much lower pitched prop (D3's or F3's - it probably has D5's or F5's) if you have any hopes for a good experience. I would think that even the Chap is going to be strained with that load. Having said that, I had an experienced rider behind mine with three on board and it was able to make a good, clean wake that he executed a wake to wake flip on. BTW, mine does have trim tabs but when wakeboarding I use them only to get on plane, otherwise it disturbs the wake.

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Jay! Just buy one already! Summer is passing you by! Just kidding. Seriously, both boats are suhweeet. Just based on the pics, it looked to me like the interior of the Chap might be in better shape. Both are dual prop, but the Chap has more motor if I remember correctly. You do tend to have to go about five years older to get into the dedicated wake boats at this price around here. One thing v drive gets you is the option of wake surfing, which looks fun but might not be a big deal to you.

Just pick one and invite me out on it.

OrangeTJ. Aka Ken.

haulnazz15

Captain

The Maristar is not generally regarded as a good wakeboard boat. Kind of a failed experiment by MasterCraft. If you're going to get one, get a better one than that, or stick to the I/O.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Either of those would be a hell of a boat.

jaybytez

Recruit

Jay! Just buy one already! Summer is passing you by! Just kidding. Seriously, both boats are suhweeet. Just based on the pics, it looked to me like the interior of the Chap might be in better shape. Both are dual prop, but the Chap has more motor if I remember correctly. You do tend to have to go about five years older to get into the dedicated wake boats at this price around here. One thing v drive gets you is the option of wake surfing, which looks fun but might not be a big deal to you.

Just pick one and invite me out on it.

OrangeTJ. Aka Ken.

Hahaha, thanks Ken for pointing me to this site, people are super responsive (way more than the programmer forums I live on).

I am trying to line up something sooner than later, and have to rip out a tree and some bushes to open up my side fence so that I can park a boat on the concrete slab on the side of my house (some places charge like $180 a month around here)...ugh.

Is there a recommended horsepower for a family or sundeck boat around 21ft if you want to wakeboard and are carrying at least two families of 8 people total?

The Four Winns is a 5.0 GXi/DuoProp 270 hp and I think that the Chaparral is around 300 hp.

haulnazz15

Captain

Is there a recommended horsepower for a family or sundeck boat around 21ft if you want to wakeboard and are carrying at least two families of 8 people total?

The Four Winns is a 5.0 GXi/DuoProp 270 hp and I think that the Chaparral is around 300 hp.

Either one will likely be sufficient. The more people, the more horsepower you need to offset the increased weight. The DuoProp will get out of the hole much better than the single prop, and will track better as well.

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Iirc, both of the boats are dual prop, one Volvo and one merc.

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looking at the ads again, I now think the FW has the cleaner interior. That, plus the added "hanging out at the lake" comforts that boat seems to have would probably sway me toward it. Doesn't hurt that it comes with all the toys to get you started too!

Last edited:

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

... Is there a recommended horsepower for a family or sundeck boat around 21ft if you want to wakeboard and are carrying at least two families of 8 people total? ...

More torque/HP than can be put in a boat that will fulfill all your requirements. I will leave it to you to find this out for yourself (and I know you are pleased with that), and wish you all the best in your quest.