Buying a kicker engine, and some questions

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was thinking of buying a kicker motor, cause our lake is 45 miles long, and 16 miles across. (340 sq/miles) - I really don't want to get stranded for obvious reasons.

I don't understand if I need a long shaft or short shaft. I spoke to a marine mechanic last month, who said Long. But if I am going to mount it to the port (or starboard) of my main motor - wouldn't it be shorter, as there is less draft as the hull slants up?

I found a used Evinrude 7.5Hp on kijiji - the guy says it is "approximately" a 1993. He figures there is only 15 hours of use. I have not seen it yet.. He's asking $800.... and comes with a tank for the mix.

So this has me wondering now if I need long/short - do I have room to mount it? how would it work in the event I needed to use it, and would 7.5HP be enough?I figured I'd just lock it in a straight position, then turn the wheel for steering.

Needing comments and advice on this. I don't really want to have to carry a spare engine on board, as well as a tank, all the time.... should I consider a 4 stroke, and some kind of adaptor from the fuel line tank (built in)

See my signature for details of my boat/motor setup. I attached a photo too of transom setup.

thanks!

Attachments

• transom.jpg
    transom.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Buying a kicker engine, and some questions

They make kicker brackets that adjust vertically to allow for whatever depth you need. Are you going to use a bracket?

Another thing to consider is a little 2-stroke with a built-in tank(3-6hp maybe). That way you could keep it hanging on the transom full of gas and not need a separate tank.

You could also get a powerful electric trolling motor to use as a way to limp back to port in case the bit OB craps out on ya.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn't think I had enough room for the bracket..... thats why I put the photo. I was thinking of putting it beside the main motor to either side....

I had considered the trolling motor.... but if I break down 10 miles from my launch.... I don't think that the trolling motor is gonna make it on one battery? I do have room for a second battery... (I made a post about installing a bow mounted trolling motor previously) if I knew a trolling motor would have enough thrust, and juice to push me 5-10 miles, that would be the best bet..

I like the 2 stroke with built in tanke idea too... have considered it - but again, don't think 2-4hp are gonna push me back to shore very well? Maybe it would - thats what I don't know... and inquiring about.

Thanks for the reply

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

With that huge transom cut out you definitely don't need a bracket. Go for at least an 8HP. I think either a long or short shaft will work in your case. Long shafts are preferred for larger boats out in more serious chop where there's a concern about the lower unit coming out of the water.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

With that huge transom cut out you definitely don't need a bracket. Go for at least an 8HP. I think either a long or short shaft will work in your case. Long shafts are preferred for larger boats out in more serious chop where there's a concern about the lower unit coming out of the water.

Would I be wasting my time with a 4hp or 6hp? I've also been told during my research (talking to mechanics and marinas) that I could use a short shaft. I still need to get udner the tarp and measure the transom where it is to the side of the motor. As the motor coems up in it's V shape, the short shaft would do nicely (apparently - but I'm not convinced yet)

I'm concerned still about the weight of a 9.9 on there? Can the transom handle all 80lb or so? How fast can I expect a 4 or 6hp to push this 2000lb worth of boat and equipment/passenger along?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I rigged my 16' up with a 4HP short shaft. I tested it a couple times but never actually had to really use it. It will push the boat decently. Check the difference in weight between a 4,6,8 and a 9.9. May not be all that much. Heck the IDEAL kicker would be a 15 as they typically weigh the same as a 9.9.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Don't over think it.

You have so many options with this setup you can do just about anything you want.

With or without a bracket will work.

Short or long will work, long is better.

5HP to 15HP will work

Even a smaller 3 or 4 may work, but not recommended.

2 or 4 stroke will work. If you have straight gas in your tank a 4 would be better. That way it can be plumbed in to it.

Ideal would be 8 or 9.9 long shaft.

The other thing is you most likely have oil injection which means you have straight gas in you main tank. This isn't an issue if you use a separate tank for your kicker, but you need to use this fuel up before it goes bad. So if the only reason for the kicker is if the big motor quits, then it may sit for a very long time and be no good when you need it.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

it looks like you got a 2 stroke 70 HP on your boat now...

if it has the unpluggable gas connector you are all set...you can switch the line if you need to use the kicker...

it would be ideal if you could mount the kicker bracket...then you can get that motor way up out of the way for less troublesome fishing...

but it isnt a big deal....

It does look like you might be able to use the short shaft, you have plenty of room to the side of your motor...you want to mount it far enough that the swing of the big motor is not interfered with.

I mounted a 6 hp on my 1200 lb 20 foot CC aluminum MOD V which runs a 115 2 stroke .

I have my gas line plumbed direct....so i have to bring a seperate gas line( my tanks up front are portable)

that 6 hp will push my boat about 6-8 mph on flat calm water.

I also agree with a previous posters recomendation for a 15 hp 2 stroke,...which is what i plan on aquireing and putting on my boat...more HP for the weight.

when the lake picks up and gets nasty , the extra HP is HUGE!!

and for no extra weight basically over the 8-10 hp models.

you dont need to worry about if it is a long or short shaft, if you have a choice...get the shorter on as long as you get the cav plate below the hull!!! at least 1/2"

especially since it is off to the side of center.

good luck

bob