Buying a Key West...

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Buying a Key West...

My 2002 Key West 2020 DC is stable and quick boat for it's size and power. (150 Yamaha). Planes in 2.2 sec, about 4.0 mpg, dry and comfortable. I usually fish from CC's but with the big 8' beam, there is a ton of room behind the seats. Lots of storage, including under the back to back passenger seat.
I was able to buy this rig this year with only 63 hrs on it and it's like having a new boat.
We have several reefs and wrecks about 23 miles off shore around the Bayport area, West coast of Florida, and I will have no doubt taking this boat offshore. With the windscreen closed the ride is very dry. Also, no rattles form the big 'screen, stantions, or hatches.
Only thing I did was add the extra battery and wired in the Yamaha's alternate charging output from the rectifier/regulator. It comes already fused and with a bullet connector. The Yamaha manual and many posts on this forum helped me with all that.
Would like to keep this post active with other KW boaters, as I have yet to find an owners club! :)

DBlittle

Cadet

I too would like to see this thread come back to life. I bought a 176cc about a month ago and it was the beginning of a love affair. I am totally impressed with the boat. So far I have had it out in only about three foot seas max, but for a 17 footer it handled like a dream. Tomorrow I am going to install a 55lb thrust Minn Kota remote control trolling motor, but I noticed there is no wood installed by the manufacturer in the bow so it may be a little more complicated than I had anticipated. I am planning on fishing mosquito lagoon, so this will go a long way to getting me up in there. I have really high hopes of taking the rig off shore when seas drop to 1-3 for a few days. Should be an adventure.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

DBL, just read your post and I am surprised to read that there is no backing for the trolling motor. On my larger 20' I found a trolling motor wiring harness dead ended when hooking up my second battery. I do not want a troller, but found it interesting I have one prewired and on your smaller rig there is not one. Oh well, seems like you are having fun with yours, and good luck. By the way, how did she come powered??

Boatdood

Seaman Apprentice

There's is no wood installed anywhere in any Key West these days. That doesn't mean there isn't sufficient backing for a troll motor though. Key West uses alternative materials instead of wood since wood can and usually does rot eventually. In the area where a troll motor is typically installed there is a coring material glassed into the laminate sufficient to hold a 55 lb. thrust motor.

DBlittle

Cadet

I don't know if there is any composite where the trolling motor goes. There is a plug installed in the bow so you would think that they would allow something to screw the motor onto, but who knows. I think I will go ahead and put a piece of pressure treated plywood in there anyway just for piece of mind. This boat came powered with a Yamaha four stroke 115. Shorelander trailer and a bunch of extras. I put a Lowrance gps/sonar and I am slowly decking it out.

jm_bullard

Seaman

I put a 55 lb thrust troller on my 1720 Pro without any backing. The deck was pretty thick (a little more than an inch), and I used the black rubber mounts. So far, I have not seen any signs of cracking or had any other issues. And the 55 moves the boat great, even in pretty stiff current and waves.

DBlittle

Cadet

Did a little bit deeper research and found out that there is a layer of composite sheeting incorporated into the fiberglass in the bow. The installation is done with a specific type of toggle bolt that is designed to distribute the stress and according to a key west service agent will serve as a permanent solid mounting with no stress cracks at all. Of course, by the time I finished the conversation he had convinced me that I would be much better served to have it installed professionally. He quoted me $145 with all the parts included...I think I am going to take him upon that.

Horsepen

Recruit

I own a 1996 1720 KW Sportsman w/a 115 2 stroke Suzuki. It has no bow rails but carries a Motor Guide 65# trolling motor. It is equipped with a Taylor Made "plumbers nightmare" T-top which I like since I can get it in the garage w/no problem, it has a leaning post w/backrest which gives space under for tackle boxes or cooler, GPS, Marine radio, compass, hydraulic steering by Sea Star, high speed pick-up for the live well and a pump timer for the well also. Are there better boats out there? You betcha and probably lots of them. But for what I got and what I paid, even my wife was impressed. I love the boat. It's quite fast and quick to plane. Loaded with fuel, 5 adults, skies, tube, life jackets, 2 trolling motor batteries and everybody's crap we head out. First stop, here comes one hellacious thunderstorm right on top of us. Took a chance to run to the launch if we could just stay ahead of the rain. GPS showed an honest 43 mph with that kind of load in a chop. made it back to the dock but got soaked running up to the truck. Overall great boat. Very solid with no flex or whippinest anywhere I could sense it. No stress cracks anywhere on it or in it. Fished it in 10-12 inch redfish water in SE Louisiana, and also out probably 20 miles south of Gulfport, MS where the big tarpon party boats work. With a 30 gallon tank I've not had any fuel shortage problems. Remember, KW is a liner style boat and not a rolled gunnel style like some Kenners, Blazer Bays, etc. This helps to stiffen it up a lot. If I have one complaint, it the narrow beam. It reminds me of a Whaler where the space between the console and the liner at floor level is very narrow. But Hey, I'm not perfect and my wife says she loves me. I would highly recommend it, it's a well built boat.

DBlittle

Cadet

It's times like that when you can really appreciate having confidence in your vessel. So far everybody I have talked to that owns one of these boats really loves it. I'm sure there are some lemons out there, but they must be few and far between

Bocafish

Recruit

I've got a 2006 176 with 115 Yamaha 4 stroke on mine and love it. Researched all of the 17-18 foot models out there and feel this Key West was one of the best values for the money. Since I have added an 80 lb Minn Kota trolling motor with remote control, pretty cool feature, on the bow. It has a quick release so I can take it off to avoid theft. 2 more batteries, extra rod holders, GPS, VHS, Am Fm. Couldn't be happier. Great gas mileage on that 4 stroke. Plenty fast enough for me and the wife. Just turned over my first 100 hours and have not a problem. Can't wait to do the next 100 hours. I would recommend a Key West to anyone.

24heel

Recruit

Hello all,

I am getting ready to possibly pull the trigger on a 2008 Key West 210 LS with a yamaha f150 four stroke. Boat is new and the best price I can get them to is $26,600.

Any thoughts or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
24heel

spitfisher

Cadet

Hello all,

I am getting ready to possibly pull the trigger on a 2008 Key West 210 LS with a yamaha f150 four stroke. Boat is new and the best price I can get them to is $26,600.

Thanks,
24heel

Go for it, it's a great boat. a lot of the standard features that came on my 186 cc really add up big $$ on other brands.

2 thumbs up!

KW196BR

Recruit

Hello all,

Thanks,
24heel

After a year and half of browsing boats I took the plunge on a NEW 2005 196 Bay Reef w/F150 Yamaha 4-stroke in 2007 for $23K, I was a little worried at first being that it was a 2005 and still on the showroom floor but got over it fairly quick. This is my first boat and I feel I made a good choice it's comfortable and handles well in the Destin Bay, with a few more hours underneath my belt I may get brave enough to take it outside the bay. Currently delployed overseas to the sandbox again and opted to retire upon return and was considering selling the boat but knew that I would regret it. So now the plan is to install a Humminbird 597ci Fish Finder and a universal T-Top which will hopefully improve end of day catch results. I think anyway you go Key West is a good choice.

KW196BR

Recruit

When I purchased my Key West 196 Bay Reef w/ 150 Yamaha I was concerned that the last rib on the trailer was to far underneath the boat for a transom brace, the dealership assured me that the boat did not need a transom brace b/c the transom is re-enforced enough to handle the weight of the motor during transport? Any thoughts on this? I'm planning on transporting it to Texas from Florida and I'm planning on using a transom brace regardless of what the dealership said b/c it just don't seem right and I surely don't need any additional repair bills to my boat or other vehicles that may be on the road if the transom fails to support the motor.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

You can try and install that transom saver, but what a lot of us have done is bring the motor down and cinch it tight against a 2x4. Put it right at the bottom of the piston rams. It lets most of the weight of the motor fall down, not out, and inclines it enough to not worry about it scraping. I trailer my boat like that al the time. Welcome back and thank you for serving our country. R Thompson, USNavy ETN2 1966-1972.

KW196BR

Recruit

Appreciate the advice, I think I'll give it a try anythings better than it just hanging there. Still three more months before I get back to launch it, hopefully the fuel stabal does it's job. I have a few other mods I need to do, they sold me what they call a self-centering trailer which to me ain't worth crap especially when the winds blowing hard, either going to install roller giudes at the rear or side boards to prevent the bow from blowing across/over the side of the trailer b/c the boat won't center itself until halfway on the trailer wether the guide/support boards are completely submerged or not.

kmbenben

Recruit

Getting ready to pull the trigger on either the new '09 211 DC or '08 225 DC.....
my dealer has the 225 in stock but can't decide if i'd rather have the 211 and its new hull...? have not seen or been in the 211.
any comments at all..?

thx..
kb

PensacolaMax

Recruit

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a new KW 1720 CC with a Yamaha 90. I've taken it out seven times in the last month and a half. I love it! Easy to tow, easy to launch and easy to take back out. A full tank will last two days. It is the perfect size for me. I paid $18,600. How did I do?

jm_bullard

Seaman

When I purchased my Key West 196 Bay Reef w/ 150 Yamaha I was concerned that the last rib on the trailer was to far underneath the boat for a transom brace, the dealership assured me that the boat did not need a transom brace b/c the transom is re-enforced enough to handle the weight of the motor during transport? Any thoughts on this? I'm planning on transporting it to Texas from Florida and I'm planning on using a transom brace regardless of what the dealership said b/c it just don't seem right and I surely don't need any additional repair bills to my boat or other vehicles that may be on the road if the transom fails to support the motor.

I bought an adjustable transom saver for my Key West 1720. It has a bracket that bolts or is welded to the frame, and the transom saver locks into the bracket. I used a piece of galvanized metal in place of the bracket that came with the TS because I wanted to use it on 2 different boats. I attached my home-made bracket to the frame with U-bolts, so I can switch it back and forth easily.

Mine is a Marinetech adjustable transom saver. Do a Google search. They have them at Amazon and Cabela's. It works great on my KW and my Trophy.