Buying a boat...need advise

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: Buying a boat...need advise

Buying a cheap used boat for a newbie is the best sure way to learn wrenching, electrical, woodworking, plumbing and fiberglassing all together! Not so sure about boating...;-)

P.S. you could also ask him how many hours there is on the battery since the rebuild and if he put oversized lead plates in...

Last edited:

Taylor31

Cadet

I am a newbie with about 24 hours of boat ownership under my belt but spent 6 months doing research and reading this forum to educate myself before pulling out the cheque book. What I can tell you is that you cannot fall for the shiny bits. This cannot be an emotional purchase. We fell in love with a boat but painfully walked away after a survey revealed rotted wood and delam in the transom and stringers. That decision saved us thousands!

You also need to ensure that your budget includes maintenance and cushion for those surprises that will happen. Up front our budget included putting away $2000 for future issues and that doesn't include the $200/m that we will continue to put into that slush fund to ensure those inevitable surprises don't ruin our enjoyment of our new hobby.

Be patient and find something that is within your means and mechanical ability and it will make the experience far more enjoyable. My 2 cents.

hostage

Lieutenant

I first started my boat search a few years ago. I thought it was amazing that I could get a boat of clist for $1500. Then I started reading things on the forum. Then I saw how much more of a boat I could get with very little more. Newer boats have more features i.e. cup holders, radios, snap in carpets, more HP, better hull design, swim platforms, swim ladders, more storage, less chance of rot, and much more.

From $1500 I was looking at boats for about $4500. These boats were mid 90's 19-20ft runabouts w/ a 4.3L engine. Then I found an awesome boat for only $7500. It was in great condition 19ft 2000 w/ a 4.3L Merc. Would you buy a car for a $100, remember you can't junk a boat like a car as you can't recycle the fiberglass like you can the steel in a car.

Also the 4.3L Mercs from the late 90s increased their HP from 175 to 190.

Do you really want a project and a eye sore or do you want to get out there and have fun?

dswi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I appreciate all of the feedback and it will go into my decision making process.
Thanks to all.

dswi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Input please...
Just saw 2 more...

19' 2004 sea ray $3,000.00 No idea what engine.

1988 Stingray - Merc. I/O engine and Merc. Outdrive $2,750.00

Getting more info on both, but from a name brand perspective...Good / Junk??

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

Both brands are ok. It is how they were treated that counts. Bow down no cover they are junk. High and dry covered you might have someting. many boats out there. You need to take a person with you that knows boats, engines and put at least an hour test drive on it.

tpenfield

Staff member

Input please...
Just saw 2 more...

How to you get a 2004 Sea Ray costing $3K ??? That would be interesting to know.

Just remember . . . in your price range, the boats are going to be quite old or very low end.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Input please...
Just saw 2 more...

Confused about the Sea Ray year and price but here goes.

Small mid to late 2000's Sea Ray, are brand over quality. Big Sea Rays are nice, little ones are to me at best, and stretching, mid level. Early 2000's and prior small Sea Rays are nice. In other words the small ones are going through an extended lull in comparison to their price.
Small Stingray are an entry level boat with marginal accessories and very light hulls that are fast but at the expense of ride quality. At that age, I would care less about the entry level status and accessory quality and treat it with old boat mentality focusing on condition as it likely has had several owners. Presumably both Stingray and Sea Ray owners will beg to differ.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

How to you get a 2004 Sea Ray costing $3K ??? That would be interesting to know.

Just remember . . . in your price range, the boats are going to be quite old or very low end.

Maybe a jet boat, Sea raider or whatever they were called.
LK

dswi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The sea ray was apparently a typo on craigs list...Couldn't find it again an hour later...for that price at least!

Doesn't really matter now though...Bought a 1989 Glasstream Cuttlass 172. Merc. Alpha 1 I/O engine and outdrive. Took about an hour test drive, liked it...was mechanically sound...the rest is history. I know, I know....without pics it didn't happen! I'll get to that.

bigtrout1949

Seaman Apprentice

I am going to buy a boat. I will be a first time boat owner. I want to use it to ski (not professionally or anything). and just ride around the lake with my wife and 3 kids.

Here are a couple of my options...What input can anyone give me??

1984 Chettah 180 / Mercruzer 470 (owner says all maint has been done and has records to prove it for the last 7 years)
Some skis, ropes, life jackets, and such come with the boat. $2,500.00

1998 (owner says)...I believe it is 1993 though...Chris Craft 185 concept...OMC 4.3L engine, OMC Cobra outdrive...Boat has been sitting for about 3 years, cranked last year...Some cleaning will be required to make it look a whole lot better...

I haven't had either in the water yet, but plan to do that this coming weekend with each owner respectively.

What should I do??? I have also looked at a couple of 1984 Galaxy boats with Mercruizer I/O and Mercruizer outdrives.

Thanks for all of the input from the experts...

Darrin

The two proudest monents in a man's life are when he buys his boat and when he sells it.

gregg a

Seaman Apprentice

Darrin
I too live in the greenville sc area.
be aware that lake north or greenville have motor and HP restrictions. Bowen blalock and lyman all have restrictions.
You can visit SJWD to learn each lakes individual requirements. If you are boating south of Greenville hartwell jocassee and keowee are wide open on motors and boat sizes.
Trust these guys when talking about soft spots and rot. I traded a pontoon for a bayliner tought it was a good deal until i really looked at it. I ended up replacing the entire floor and reinforcing stringers. She is as solid as can be now but the work and cost was substantial.

IowaFan

Cadet

If you or anyone is still reading this about buying a boat in the 2500 range, let me give you some straight up advice. Either save your money to move up in price point or use it as a down payment for a higher price boat. I bought a 17 ft bow rider for $2800. The motor ran great, 4.3 L OMC, started up awesome and ran awesome ( still does to this day). First time out, i noticed she was taking in a little water. So i started to check periodically and ran my bilge pump several times through out the day to be safe. When I took it into the shop, I found out the the transom was rotted around the motor. The motor had to be pulled and the transom rebuilt. My $2800 boat ended up costing me 6500.00. Lesson learned; at the least, ask for a lake test, who sells a car and doesn't allow you to test drive it? if they say no, WALK AWAY. Request a buyers check, take it to a marine shop and from $100-300 dollars, have the marine shop check it out. If the seller says no, WALK AWAY Its worth it, I would have gladly paid $200 or $300 for a buyers check, instead of finding out I had $4000.00 in repairs after I bought it. Like these guys in the thread said, Don't buy based on looks, based on a nice stereo, based on a bunch of life jackets, tubes, skis...all that doesn't matter. If they say its being serviced regularly, ask for the paperwork, call the shop that the boat had previously been to and ask questions.Don't end up getting burned like I did. I learned a hard and valuable lesson.