Buy new or rebuild?

Rdo

Cadet
Hey all,

New to the forum, looks like there is much to learn and gain from this site so here I am,

My names Luke and I own an Evinrude 115 2 stroke 1996 model BE115GLDER. Motor has been going well for the last year up until now where it has a faulty piston, can hear a clunking noise, the head has marks along with the piston, still not sure what has caused the problem yet but I plan to find out, hoping the crankshaft is not faulty. Have had a price to fix just that piston which is around 3000 Australian dollars. I'm sure once the motor is apart that figure will only increase finding more things that need replacing.

So my question is should I rebuild or buy new, anyone on this forum know anything about the motor in question?

At the moment if I was to replace with new I would probably look at a Yamaha 2 stroke 115 at around 12000 fitted. I guess my main concern is if I go the rebuild at the end of the day whats to say something else wont go wrong down the track.

Any advice or comments would be great

Thanks

Luke

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Buy new or rebuild?

Your engine will run just like new if properly rebuilt PROVIDING the shop finds the cause of the failure. Just think - a good running engine does not know if it is one year old or 20.

Bottom line depends on your state of mind and the depth of your pocket.

SparkieBoat

Captain

a good used motor is always an option....just a thought

jbjennings

Captain

My opinion is to find a used GOOD powerhead, or buy a whole used motor the same model as your own, or a new motor.
You will be very wise to do as you suggest and find the root cause of your piston failure before you decide to invest in a rebuilt or used block.
I would not rebuild if I couldn't do it myself, since it wouldn't be cost effective. You could get a good used block far cheaper than it would cost to get your block rebuilt. Then again, since you're in Australia maybe it would be hard to find a used block.
Good luck either way,
JBJ

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

it has a faulty piston, can hear a clunking noise, the head has marks along with the piston, still not sure what has caused the problem yet but I plan to find out...

Properly diagnosing the problem will help determine the rebuild costs...thus a proper answer to your question.

It sounds like the head was removed? Try turning the flywheel until the piston in question is moving down...about half way into its stroke then stop turning. Then take a wood dowel and see if the piston can be pushed down without the flywheel turning. If the piston moves without the flywheel, then it sounds like its rod cap has let loose...or very bad bearings.

Mas

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check your carbs, each cylinder has it's separate carb, if the cylinder was not getting proper fuel, it was not getting proper oil. as far as rebuild that has to be your decision. of proper done you will have a good running 1996 motor, for $3,000 or invest $9,000 more for a new motor.

if the motor was a 1980's vintage model, i would not think twice about rebuild it. there would be too much invested in the rebuild, if you had to sell the motor.

Rdo

Cadet

Thanks to all for comments, have added some pics of the piston

As I and a few others have said its important to find the cause of the problem before I decide what to do.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 0

Rdo

Cadet

Properly diagnosing the problem will help determine the rebuild costs...thus a proper answer to your question.

It sounds like the head was removed? Try turning the flywheel until the piston in question is moving down...about half way into its stroke then stop turning. Then take a wood dowel and see if the piston can be pushed down without the flywheel turning. If the piston moves without the flywheel, then it sounds like its rod cap has let loose...or very bad bearings.

Mas

Good idea, tried that and no movement

Rdo

Cadet

My opinion is to find a used GOOD powerhead, or buy a whole used motor the same model as your own, or a new motor.
You will be very wise to do as you suggest and find the root cause of your piston failure before you decide to invest in a rebuilt or used block.
I would not rebuild if I couldn't do it myself, since it wouldn't be cost effective. You could get a good used block far cheaper than it would cost to get your block rebuilt. Then again, since you're in Australia maybe it would be hard to find a used block.
Good luck either way,
JBJ

Have looked at new powerheads, seems Australia does not have many options but I am maybe looking at importing one from America, prices seems good. Having said that before I go any further I need to find out what caused the problem in the first place.

Thanks for your ideas

SparkieBoat

Captain

I need to move to Australia and open up a outboard repair shop

jonesg

Admiral

Looks like it broke a ring, do you decarb the engine on a yearly basis?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Thanks to all for comments, have added some pics of the piston

As I and a few others have said its important to find the cause of the problem before I decide what to do.

Judging by what I see in those pictures, it looks like wrist pin needle bearings got sucked up into the cumbustion chamber. My signature below makes a good point about that.:D Chances are, your cylinder wall is hashed too. If it isn't, then you're lucky. Often times though, those needle bearings will waste a cylinder wall before they reek havoc on a piston crown. So, this block really would not be worth the money to rebuild. unless the cylinder walls are top notch condition.

jbjennings has the best advice here. Buy a GOOD used powerhead or buy another motor.

Rdo

Cadet

Thinking I found the cause...

see pic attached, now I am new to boats but Im assuming this is an oil line going to the oil rail near fuel rail which the hose you can see leads to nothing.

Attachments

• 4040.jpg
    4040.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 0

Rdo

Cadet

Ps. see pic above, being new to boats I have no idea where this oil line is meant to go from the rail?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

That hose is for the balance tube, one hooks to vapor seperator and other to air intake if I remember correctly, this would not cause cylinder to fail. The biggest cause of wrist pin failure on a 60 degree engine is lugging(overpropped)...

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Thinking I found the cause...

see pic attached, now I am new to boats but Im assuming this is an oil line going to the oil rail near fuel rail which the hose you can see leads to nothing.

no the oil is fed into the fuel pump only...

I have 2 60 degree motors from the mid 90's...so i am interested in hearing all posted here...

one has a KNOCK, but otherwise runs great,, thus the reason i went and bought a second motor...

I dlove to see here a list of steps needed to ASSURE that a motor doesnt fail..

how often to rebuild carbs?

how often to decarb?

how often to check stuff?

and what to check.....

can extra oil added to your fuel cause carb problems??

because changing out oily plugs is CHEAP!!!!!!

and i dont worry about the smoke...

I have a water pressure gauge, and two temp senders feeding a temp gauge, as well as the systems check tach with the warning horn..

as for the OP's motor

is it NOT possible the damage was done by a ring that came apart???

how about a pin that prevents the rings from rotating?

I had similar damage on a 70 hp evinrude cylinder and piston...but it looks as if it happened right after a rebuild and they just cleaned everything up and installed new rings.....ther was definately a round bearing type hardened piece of rod buried in the head!!!

but all the pins were accounted for on the rods!!! and bearing on the crank!!! and the rings looked perfect

(well it isnt a total highjack...is it?)

ha ha

bob

Rdo

Cadet

Ok so have found that one of the rings on the crankshaft has split and around 1/4 of it has made its way into the bottom cylinder, still not sure what may have caused this, old age, running lean, bad fuel any other ideas?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

how often to rebuild carbs?

how often to decarb?

how often to check stuff?

and what to check.....

can extra oil added to your fuel cause carb problems??

how often to rebuild carbs?.... Depends on usage, pleasure boats 3-4 yrs

how often to decarb?..... On premix engines I tell customers twice yearly

how often to check stuff?... Every time you hook boat to tow vehicle

and what to check..... Battery charged, fuel, extra 2 stroke oil, keys, kill cord,
spare inflated, check gear oil monthly, inspect behind prop monthly for string/mono

can extra oil added to your fuel cause carb problems??.. Yes as it can actually lean the mixture as it cannot flow thru the jets and if left setting in carbs during warmer months the gas will evaporate and leave the oil behind to form a gooey gum..

SparkieBoat

Captain

many cheap motors been purchased because of gooey stuff in carbs...