Bunk trailer guide-ons mandatory?

CJK440

Seaman
My recent boat purchase came with my first bunk trailer. It has permanent guide ons welded to the frame. They are in my way while trying to buff out dull gelcoat and will be when cleaning the hull at the end of the season. I was thinking about cutting them off. Being the boat stays in a slip for the season, I load the boat once a year in typically calm condition. I see they are sold as an add on so I guess not all bunks have them. My wheel wells have carpet on them.

What say you?

alldodge

Staff member
There good to help keep the boat centered when loading for lighter boats, but not needed and can be removed. Don't know what boat you have, but both my boats don't have them but they are heavy, and I have next to no issues

robert graham

Admiral
Guides are just nice for launching or retrieving boat in windy or strong current conditions....my trailer has some and they can be helpful, especially if my wife is driving the boat....

ahicks

Captain
Handy when launching/retrieving by yourself. If removing, I would make up some brackets that would let you refasten.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If you have steep ramps (tidal water) and or power load, alignment posts are almost a necessity.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I hope their not mandatory. I've had 2 different boats on 2 different bunk trailers over the last 12 years and I've never had any guides. 20' and 23' boats. I load/unload about 10 times a year.