bunk or roller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanvranken

Seaman
witch is better and easier to load and unload boat from a trailer??rollers or bunk.is there kits to change a roller to bunk or the opposite??

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
If you really want to know how people on this forum feel about this subject just do a quick search of this forum , rollers or bunks, then be prepared for a long hearty read.
Make popcorn, Cold beverage and bring asprin cause it Will make your head hurt!

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The better ones and the easier ones are the ones you have 'cause that's all you know. Yes, you can remove carpeted wooden bunks and replace them with full roller bunks most all the time. However, some of the built-for-roller trailers might not be configuered right to switch to bunks.

rollers are better cause that's what I have:rolleyes::lol:

Nope, bunks are better 'cause I've got them on both of my trailers. They work just fine, and I've yet to hear of a boat sliding off it's bunks 'cause the owner undid the bow hook before backing down the ramp. :eek:

Really, they both work just fine as long as you use them properly. I kinda' feel that bunks might support the hull better, but there are many many many boats out there on rollers that do just fine.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yes it is sometimes possible BUT this discussion really has no value YET... Why don't you share your problem with us so we can help you find a solution... so far this is all theoretical and highly subjective banter.... neither type of trailer is either inherently better OR supports the boat better.... either one can be good or bad..... both have some strengths and weaknesses but until you tell us what you are up against we can't give you any useful information.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
If you really want to know how people on this forum feel about this subject just do a quick search of this forum , rollers or bunks, then be prepared for a long hearty read.
Make popcorn, Cold beverage and bring asprin cause it Will make your head hurt!

Really! There have been pages and pages writtten in this forum on just this subject. Not trying to blow you off or dismiss your question but please do search and read. Then you too can form an opinion. You will find it boils down to 3 camps, rollers, bunks, don't care! You will even find my opinion posted in many.

64osby

Admiral
The only item that might make a difference is if the OP launches in really shallow water / ramps. There would be a definite advantage to having a tilting roller trailer.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
General rule of thumb...

Rollers should be used for glassers, bunks for tinnies....

However, there are always exceptions to any rule. It also depends on the a lot of other things.... But a solid, non-negotiable rule is that on a keel trailer, the side bunks/rollers should not be taking weight, they are just there for support.

Chris.....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I'm afraid I have to disagree with that statement as well ... there are no such firm rules... glass on bunks, tin on rollers, keel rollers taking all, some, or no weight are all acceptable. sometimes the only purpose for the keel rollers is simply to keep the bow portion of the keel from hitting the cross members.

Some boats should be primarily supported by the keel and some shouldn't be.

Having the keel taking most of the load on rollers on a bunk trailer makes the boat easier to load and launch if the trailer isn't far in the water but makes very little difference if the trailer is backed in deep.

My glass 28'er doesn't come on or off it's bunks as easily as it would rollers but it works fine... Many a tinny does just fine on rollers too.

For MOST boats the fit of the trailer is FAR more important than the design..... For the most part trailer design should be based on personal preference and conditions of use... IE lake, ocean, beach, steep, shallow, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.