Bunghole on fiberglass boat

dungbeetle46

Seaman Apprentice
I have bought a fiberglass 14ft boat, it has a fiberglass flat floor so it must have a hollow area between the floor and hull.
at the back at the very lowest point is a hole but it doesnt have a plug and it doesnt have a thread in the hole.
there is a plug to the left above floor level as seen in photo
my question is would this take a rubber bung like a tinny or is it supposed to be open or should I put a scewtype bung in
thanks

IMG_0247.jpg

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Bunghole on fiberglass boat

The lower one is the main drain plug hole and a push in twist T expansion is the common one to use. The upper one appears to be the splash well drain and noting is used there.

dungbeetle46

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for that but what is a push in twist T expansion

dungbeetle46

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for that seems like thats the way to go. now to find one of those in australia

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The plug on the far left hand side of the pic looks like the actual bilge drain, or what the bilge drain is supposed to look like.

Does your boat have a livewell? That bottom hole could be a livewell drain.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

DB 46,

I am a bit concerned with the dark stain below this drain hole. It appears you may have deterioration of the core material (balsa wood/foam plastic) between the floors that is used to strengthen the boat hull. I would investigate the reason for the staining. It may be as simple as an oil stain, or as serious as a rotted transom with a soft floor and deteriorating stringers/bulkheads. I personally would dig a little deeper into the problem before sealingl it up with a drain plug.

Best of luck with your new ride and enjoy the coming summer season.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

dungbeetle46

Seaman Apprentice

DB 46,

I am a bit concerned with the dark stain below this drain hole. It appears you may have deterioration of the core material (balsa wood/foam plastic) between the floors that is used to strengthen the boat hull. I would investigate the reason for the staining. It may be as simple as an oil stain, or as serious as a rotted transom with a soft floor and deteriorating stringers/bulkheads. I personally would dig a little deeper into the problem before sealingl it up with a drain plug.

Best of luck with your new ride and enjoy the coming summer season.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

The stain on the back is just rust, when I got the boat there was a spanner in the splash well that had rusted away.

The bung to the left is above floor level and drains water from on top of floor, the one with rust stain is from the splash well, I dont have any live bait well or anything so the one at the bottom is the space between the bottom of hull and floor.

Those bungs are only $4 but because iboats is in usa the postage to aus is $55 and I cant find them in aus so will probably fit the same bung as shown at left
Thanks everyone

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Call me crazy but I prefer to put garboard fittings in my bunghole(s) ...

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Their very common and you should be able to find one at any boat shop.