Building the new transom....

Racingman24

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The time has finally come to rebuild the sorry excuse for what was a transom in the rear of my once brittle and beaten boat.

Obviously, they don't make super thick plywood, [the exact dimension is slipping my mind at the moment] and I heard the way to go is the laminate the two pieces with the Peanut Butter mixture.

Now, this is all well and good, and I'd like to do just that....there is only one problem....

I can't figure out how to make the peanut butter! Grrr.... :)

I've searched and searched and only come up with everyone referring to it as how it should be used, but no one says how it's made.

Please, someone let me in on your brotherly secret, for I'm hoping to construct a much stronger replacement of a transom than what came out of the broken vessel!

:D

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Building the new transom....

I suspect you'll get a lot of recipes soon. I think it comes down to a personal preference....like cooking. I used epoxy, mixed in walnut shell powder and some micro glass fibers. Mix it to your taste......real thick...well....like peanut butter! I played around with different recipes foir different area's of the boat. Some chopped up glass added to it, for example.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Here's a drawing of how I recommend building and installing a transom. You DON"T use PB to Lam the two pieces together but you DO use it to glue the transom to the outer skin of the boat and for filleting. Just mix your resin and then mix in some Cabosil and chopped fibers. Mix to the consistency of Creamy Peanut Butter.

(Click the pic to enlarge)

TransomBuild.jpg

Peanut butter (might be a LITTLE thick) Just cut back on the cabosil and the fibers When gluing to the transom not much fibers are required. Mayonaise consistency is more to my liking. 1/4 trowel it on.

e163294a.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

For laminating plybond you dont want to use the Mohair filler in the vid.

There seems to be a common use of the word " Peanut butter ". It just means home made filler and there are many types of fillers you can make using different components and resins for different uses.

For you use on bonding 2 pieces of plywood you would use Epoxy slightly mixed with Cabosil. Do NOT make a thick paste..just thicken it up a little bit ( like Ranch Dressing consistency ).

Steps :

1. Acetone wipe wood bond sides then Resin coat until the wood stops soaking the epoxy up ( depending on the wood you use will determine how many times you need to resin coat )
2. Mix Epoxy together.
3. Mix in Cabosil .
4. Pour mix on wood and spread it around ( a notched trowel works good for this ).
5. Clamp the 2 pieces together.

Hope this helps :) .

YD.

Bondo

Staff member

For laminating plybond you dont want to use the Mohair filler in the vid.

There seems to be a common use of the word " Peanut butter ". It just means home made filler and there are many types of fillers you can make using different components and resins for different uses.

For you use on bonding 2 pieces of plywood you would use Epoxy slightly mixed with Cabosil. Do NOT make a thick paste..just thicken it up a little bit ( like Ranch Dressing consistency ).

Steps :

1. Acetone wipe wood bond sides then Resin coat until the wood stops soaking the epoxy up ( depending on the wood you use will determine how many times you need to resin coat )
2. Mix Epoxy together.
3. Mix in Cabosil .
4. Pour mix on wood and spread it around ( a notched trowel works good for this ).
5. Clamp the 2 pieces together.

Hope this helps :) .

YD.

Ayuh,... I agree,...

Or,... You can glue the pieces together with Resorcinol....
It's the waterproof glue used to create the original plywood, 'n available at most better Hardware stores...

Racingman24

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahhh...I'm getting it now. :)

WoodonGlass....that'd be great...but it's an aluminum boat, don't think I want to glass the transom to the sides. ;) In all fairness I should have added that when I put up the first post.

Bond-o, If for whatever reason I cannot find the Rescorcinol glue, would it be ok to use the DAP Weldwood Original Contact Cement, or is that no good, and I should only look for the R-Glue?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Ahhh...I'm getting it now. :)

WoodonGlass....that'd be great...but it's an aluminum boat, don't think I want to glass the transom to the sides. ;) In all fairness I should have added that when I put up the first post.

Bond-o, If for whatever reason I cannot find the Rescorcinol glue, would it be ok to use the DAP Weldwood Original Contact Cement, or is that no good, and I should only look for the R-Glue?

Titebond III is fine also, recommended by the manufacturer, and it's a waterproof application.

drewpster

Commander

I think the bottom line point is to use a good quality weather proof glue that is at least as good as the ply you buy. If you use treated wood, get a glue that is for treated, if you use CDX or ACX, or any other, find a glue that is compatiable and will hold up to water. I prefer PB for bonding wood to fiberglass on irregular surfaces. PL Premium I will use for non-critical bonding where parts are getting glassed over anyway. For laminating wood.....use whats best for the wood, and the conditions you are going to use it.