Buffing the hull

flashback

Captain
This process is not new to me. 30 years ago I buffed many using 3M heavy duty compound with a wool pad, but times change. That said, if there's a better way these days, I'm all ears!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a DA with 400 grit, 600 grit, 800 grit, then 1200 grit, 1500 grit and then 2000 grit. then aquabuff 2, followed by 3M finesse it

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
This process is not new to me. 30 years ago I buffed many using 3M heavy duty compound with a wool pad, but times change. That said, if there's a better way these days, I'm all ears!
Stick with your method as it is tried and true.I dont agree with sanding unless your gelcoat is extremely oxidized.It is amazing what you can do with stages of product and polishing.The people that usually recommend sanding are the same people that have never sanded themselves.Charlie

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The people that usually recommend sanding are the same people that have never sanded themselves.Charlie
been spraying, sanding and buffing for longer than care to admit

the 400 grit to 1500 grit has been my ticket for decades. everything from old hulls to new gel jobs. I used to wet sand by hand, however I no longer have that kind of time.

flashback

Captain
been spraying, sanding and buffing for longer than care to admit

the 400 grit to 1500 grit has been my ticket for decades. everything from old hulls to new gel jobs. I used to wet sand by hand, however I no longer have that kind of time.
I don't trust myself to turn a DA loose with 400 and I'm probably about as grumpy and old as you. I will wet sand with a 800 and work up but I have the time.. I always used to use Fleet wax after the buff, it worked well but always open to something new that might work better..

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My boat turned 24 in April. Have used nothing but Collinite Fiberglas cleaner followed up with two coats of 885 Fleet Wax twice a year since new.

Both applied by hand up until a couple of years ago when I finally bought a variable speed polisher.

Was given a bottle of Smoove “bubble Gum” when it came out on the market couple of years back to try.

Worked great, but didn’t have the depth of shine that Fleet Wax has.

Can’t comprehend using sand paper on gel. If it gets that bad I’ll paint

flashback

Captain
Thanks, i will stick to what still works, this boat hull is not bad. No significant battle scars just frosty. I buffed one side today and I'm happy. Just hope my wrenching turns out as well.

flashback

Captain
Here's a picture, turned out good.

Attachments

• IMG_20210524_183229886~2.jpg
    IMG_20210524_183229886~2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Hard to tell from the pic.Are those reflections of the trailer and water showing up in the pic or dull spots? Charlie

flashback

Captain
Boat sat in the lake all last winter and the bottom got nasty, it's still discolored some, I sanded the dirt out of the water line but that's as far as I'm going.

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
That'a a good looking hunk of fiberglass.
I love that style of boat, even with so called bad pic, I'd say turned out nice.

jth877

Cadet
I've detailed cars for a long time. Tried gelcoat last year on a moderately oxidized boat. The orbital buffer with a wool pad. I found that the polishing compound oils hid the oxidation that I thought came out. Days or weeks later the oxidation came back. You need a heavy remover even moderate oxidation.

Once you get that far, you can finish with an orbital and foam pad. It will go faster and less arm ache afterwards. If you no or very slight oxidation just go with the foam pad and polish from the beginning.

Protection is just like a car. Wax, sealant or ceramic. I did a light ceramic coating and it performed well.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I've detailed cars for a long time. Tried gelcoat last year on a moderately oxidized boat. The orbital buffer with a wool pad.

Once you get that far, you can finish with an orbital and foam pad.
DONT waste your time with an orbital polisher.The only thing an orbital is good for is to put a coat of wax on a "New" finish.New boat,new car or a something with a "like new" finish already.Oh yes ....an orbital is also good for a back massage..Lol A variable speed Rotary polisher is necessary for removing any oxidation.RPMs,polishing bonnets and grades of compound and polish are the necessary components to remove oxidation but thats for another post.Charlie

jth877

Cadet
DONT waste your time with an orbital polisher.The only thing an orbital is good for is to put a coat of wax on a "New" finish.New boat,new car or a something with a "like new" finish already.Oh yes ....an orbital is also good for a back massage..Lol A variable speed Rotary polisher is necessary for removing any oxidation.RPMs,polishing bonnets and grades of compound and polish are the necessary components to remove oxidation but thats for another post.Charlie
Crap, I meant to say rotary. Yeah, I don't even own an orbital anymore. Sorry!