Buffer

samuels

Cadet
I would like to use a buffer to wax my boat instead of doing it by hand.The boat will probably need a light compound this year.I would like to know what size wheel buffer to get and how many RPM's should it be?Any help would be appreciated.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Buffer

Makita makes a nice 7" sander/ polisher - others do as well but the 7" size is what you need. RPM's should be a two speed affair - low speed at 2000 rpm's and high speed at 3800 rpm's. Always use the slower setting when buffing.
The pads I use are 3M foam. White for oxidation removal # 05723 and the black one's for finishing # 051131. The backing pad is also a 3M product
# 05717 or 18 ( pretty much the same thing ).
Go buy a couple of 2-1/2 or 3 inch chip brushes and use them to apply your buffing material on the hull. Smear it around good with your pad and go at it. If you just apply it to the pad it will sling your polish everywhere.
Oh, a supply of adult beverages is also recommended !:eek:

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I don't usually suggest getting cheap when it comes to tools, but for something that will rarely get used sometimes it just makes sense. Harbor freight has a variable(infinite not two speed) speed polisher that usually sells for about $40. I have seen it as low as $18 though.

DO NOT skimp on the pads or compound/polish though. The 3M suggestions above are good choices.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I bought a nice 10" one at Advance auto for like $19-29. It works very well. I found K-mart has good prices on the pads.

samuels

Cadet

Thanks for the info men.I've always done everything by hand.Getting old and need a easier way.Thanks Again

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

A cheap buffer will do. But get a good buffing pad. I have a cheap Harbor Freight buffer and use a fantastic pad by Makita. It costs around $10-15 if I remember right. It fits a 7" polisher, but is about 10" in diameter with large 1.5-2" rolled edges. Perfect for getting into corners and curved sections. It has a flexable plastic backing, attaches via velcro, and is made of a simulated (I think) wool that outlasts 20 of the cheap buffing pads and does not shred while in use. Just wash it clean with soap and water and let dry between use it will last and last. Well worth the cost. I found it at Home Depot, but any Makita dealer should carry it.

Update: I couldn't find it on the net, but here it is on a Makita buffer. You can see how much larger it is than the 7" disk, and how rounded the edges are. It has a deep dish look.

151737_lg.gif