broken alpha1 drive shaft , now questions

dacoroner

Cadet
On a recent trip to Lake Havasu after only an hour there I hit rocks and broke the driveshaft just below the spline where it goes into the upper unit. In addition I bent the prop shaft .016", gouged the skag, and gouged, nicked, and slightly bent the prop. Both shops that gave me estimates were amazed that it did not do more damage to the lower case (as it always has in similar failures that they've both seen).

Here are my questions;

1) Should the hub in my SS Quicksilver Mirage prop have slipped to prevent this damage?

2) I am replacing all bellows when repairing my boat and using the improved exhaust bellow (that only uses 1 clamp and is more like a tube than a bellow). It seems like it would allow water to get into the exhaust system of the engine easier especially if the drive was lifted. Is this an issue or not?

3) I have ordered a SE 106 lower unit any opinions on this aftermarket unit?

Any and all input, advice and/or comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Re: broken alpha1 drive shaft , now questions

Welcome....

1. Seems there are many that post on here with those shafts getting snapped when hitting an object, kinda common.... right at the groove where the O'ring sits. Prop may or may not stop the shaft damage. I think the new drives deleted that O'ring groove so should be an improvement... but a hard enough hit could also break a tooth off the upper gears or other damage as well.

2. As soon as you shut off the engine, that bellows is under the water line: the exhaust bellows/tube is completely full of water so the bellows will not be an issue.

3. That is exactly what I would have done, with a 3-year warranty sold right here at Iboats.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: broken alpha1 drive shaft , now questions

On a recent trip to Lake Havasu after only an hour there I hit rocks and broke the driveshaft just below the spline where it goes into the upper unit. In addition I bent the prop shaft .016", gouged the skag, and gouged, nicked, and slightly bent the prop. Both shops that gave me estimates were amazed that it did not do more damage to the lower case (as it always has in similar failures that they've both seen).

Here are my questions;

1) Should the hub in my SS Quicksilver Mirage prop have slipped to prevent this damage?

2) I am replacing all bellows when repairing my boat and using the improved exhaust bellow (that only uses 1 clamp and is more like a tube than a bellow). It seems like it would allow water to get into the exhaust system of the engine easier especially if the drive was lifted. Is this an issue or not?

3) I have ordered a SE 106 lower unit any opinions on this aftermarket unit?

Any and all input, advice and/or comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... #1,... Nope....

#2,... No difference, really, the exhaust is Wet all the time anyways...

#3,... Ya, their pretty decent stuff, 'n Waayyy cheaper than Mercruiser...