Bringing up an Old Topic. Mercury 150 Black Max

powderhoundbrr

Seaman Apprentice
Well I am back at it again trying to get my Mercury Black Max 150 up and running. It is on an open bow Maxum 18 foot. I just went through the motor, corrected the timing, got a carb re-build kit , got that going and the motor is running great until it under load. I get can get an immediate 5600 rpm without a load on it.

Currently running a17 pitch prop and I can only get 2900 rpm out of it, if I give it 500 meters I can get it up to 3500 and the hole shot is non-existent. I have been trying to get this thing running for 4 years on and off now and after a few tests runs yesterday I am still at square one. wondering if a 13 pitch prop might be the way to go or if anyone has any suggestions. I was all over this forum years ago but I kind of gave up on this boat but I guess I am going to try again.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Compression test equal-ish across all cylinders? Fuel is my next stop. Carbs clean and flowing, or gummed up from sitting?

powderhoundbrr

Seaman Apprentice
Yep compression pretty equal on all of cylinders (within 10 psi anyway). Carbs have been cleaned and are working well. I had a mechanic go through it with me. And he says there is no reason this thing should not be running like a top.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Did you check the high speed stator winding?

BTW - I would think a 17P prop would work better than what you report.