Briggs & Stratton, starting

Coal

Cadet
Hello all,
I have a Briggs that won't start. This past May we had the motor up in WI and it ran well. Last week my wife and daughters were up in WI and took the motor with them. It ran good until it rained one night, the motor started the next morning, and then died, and now it will not start. It has spark and is getting gas (plug a little wet when removed).
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have had this motor a little over 2 yrs and it was new in the box when I bought it. It now has less than 20 hrs on it.
thanks

Re: Briggs & Stratton, starting

if its brand new, its probably operator error (trust me this has screwed me up many a time)

check fuel line make sure its pointing the right direction

check kill switch

safety switch

engine in neutral

primed properly

etc.

Coal

Cadet

Hi Jack, I wish that it was operator error. I have tried over and over everything that the manual states to start this thing. I know the neutral switch is a bit touchy, but it just won't catch. This is not a new motor, I had this for 2 yrs
but don't use it often enough. When it runs, it runs well.
It is not the only motor that I have, the other 2 being a 15 Evinrude and a 9.9 Mariner. I bought this because it's lightweight and 4 cycle.
Thank you for the reply.

if it gets spark and gas, i dunno, my best guess would be the kill switch. Does it sputter at all or just not even start to crank?

Coal

Cadet

Here's the starting procedure: motor on stand, connect fuel line, open vent on fuel tank, open fuel petcock, prime motor with bulb, make sure that gear lever is in nuetral and prop does not spin when starter cord is pulled, pull choke out, set speed to start, put on clove to prevent blisters on inner finger, pull till exhausted. I did check for spark by pulling out spark plug and I can see spark jump the gap.
Now, does anyone know how a nuetral switch works? I have spark in forward and reverse. I pushed in the kill switch when pulling on start cord and no spark, so I assume that it works.
Puzzled

Coal

Cadet

Sorry, this looks better. Neutral

Coal

Cadet

Well, I got the motor started today. I adjusted the shift linkage to make sure that it was really in neutral. Did everything like the book and it started on the first pull.
Now to get back on the water for a test.

Coal

Cadet

October 9, 2006 in upper Wisconsin. The temperture was in the forties and the Briggs started 1st or 2nd pull everytime. What I did was follow the book and change to 10w-40 oil due to colder weather, and to make sure that the motor was not in gear when I hit the kill switch.