Brief run no water?

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got a good deal (I think!) on a Glastron 249 with GM 5.0. Boat was bought not running. Have removed all hoses, water pump, t-stat, etc to order new parts to replace. Can I fire the engine for a 30 second run with everything disconnected just to make sure that it does run with no knocks, etc before I order $300.00 of cooling parts? I don't see that this would cause any damage for a brief run...but i may be wrong.

Should the lower unit still be on muffs to protect the impeller?

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Brief run no water?

If you have all of the t-stat housing hoses removed then it will be not much use to run with raw water flowing to-from the raw water pump as the pumped water would not have a clear exit and get lots of stuff wet. The impeller would stay wet and lubed but also make a mess. No water would get to the risers and exhaust could get hot enough to damage downstream rubber items. Plus you want to get a new impeller anyway before using the boat should it turn out to be a runner.

If you want to try without water flowing then I would remove the impeller first and leave it out, you will want a new one anyway before going much further if the engine runs. Impeller out then no worries about hurting it and sending pieces of it out into all the wrong places. The real problem with running without water is the rubber exhaust hoses after the risers. They cannot take straight exhaust gas only, the spent raw water under normal circumstances is what keeps the exhaust cooler so they do not melt. If you run for just 20-30 seconds then I think everything would survive.

Post the model and year of your engine as there may be other concerns about running without water flowing.

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

post the model and year of your engine as there may be other concerns about running without water flowing.

1999 gm 305 5.0 glpefs

I have the T-stat housing, water pump & raw pump removed. Was just going to stick a hose in the intake inlet and let it run some of junk out - good point on the riser heat

Last edited:

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When mine started up on it's own, it ran for several minutes without water and no damage.

.Started right up......45 psi on oil...shut her down. Looks like I got lucky and got a good motor