Bravo Shift Cable Wrapping

NateCCIE

Seaman Apprentice
I am installing a new shift cable and all new bellows and water hose on a 1993 Bravo One Mated to a 502 MAG 415 HP motor.<br /><br />My I took the shift cable out without first looking how it was installed; however the merc manual shows the correct routing and I have done that.<br /><br />The manual doesn't say where the cable wrapping should be installed to protect from what.<br /><br />Also, what is the best way to crimp the shift cable bellows crimp ring keeping it round?<br /><br />Thank you<br />-Nate

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Bravo Shift Cable Wrapping

Nate,<br /><br />The wrapping should be down near where the cable comes into the boat from the cable bellows. It protects the cable from the transom and transom housings.<br /><br />In the Merc manual they show a 'home-made' tools for closing the crimp. Here's a copy of that page.<br /><br />
watermark.php

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bravo Shift Cable Wrapping

nate<br /> in my area I throw away the metal clamp on the aft end of the cable bellows and use the radius headed tie strap in it. position it carefully so the cut off end does not contact the other bellows. in my area that cad plated clamp lasts about 6 months and rusts off all by itself.