Bravo III Drain Plug

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class
Whoever put my Drain plug on must have used a power driver after the last outdrive oil change. I can't get it off by a hand screwdriver. What do I use and do so I don't strip the slot for the screwdriver.

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: Bravo III Drain Plug

I had to use an impact driver to get mine out. (the kind you whack with a hammer)

airshot

Rear Admiral

Had that same problem in the past, here is my solution...found a large old screwdriver with a square shank. Re-ground the flat on the end to actually fit the slot in the screw, both thickness and width, then hollow ground the blade so it will not slip out of slot when force is applyed. Put into screw slot and use a cresent wrench (adjustable) on the square shank, if she is gonna come out that will do it!!

Airshot

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just put a screwdriver in 1 corner of the slot and gave it a small tap with a hammer then it just unscrewed like nothing was stuck. It's majic I think!!!

Bondo

Staff member

I had to use an impact driver to get mine out. (the kind you whack with a hammer)

Ayuh,.... I've got a couple of those,.... 3/8", 'n 1/2" drive.... Works Great, in that application....

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Ayuh,.... I've got a couple of those,.... 3/8", 'n 1/2" drive.... Works Great, in that application....

Im almost sure they created those things just for this application. .. I dont even try with a simple wrist driver for ANY drive drain plug any more. ( fill plug also ).

Simple tappy tap and then grap the ol' hand driver out.

YD.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Im almost sure they created those things just for this application. .. I dont even try with a simple wrist driver for ANY drive drain plug any more. ( fill plug also ).

Simple tappy tap and then grap the ol' hand driver out.

YD.
Yup. When I had my old motor bikes that tool was indispensable. Saved me from stripping screw heads. My old water buffalo was bad for seized screws.