Bravo 3 Exhaust Bellow Question

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer
Good morning.

I decided to have the marina replace the Bravo 3 bellows, gimbal bearing, lube, winterize, plugs, etc. this fall. The Sara Belle took really good care of my family this Summer and she deserves it.

I inspected the work done yesterday and noticed that the exhaust bellow that connects from the transom to the outdrive, that pushes the exhaust through the counter props, isn't there. Instead it looks like a boot that ends at the transom. Is this correct and/or an updated transom seal kit from what I had?

Her's some pics.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bravo 3 Exhaust Bellow Question

A topic of varying opinions here on IBOATS.

The boot is what I have on my 7.4/Bravo3 and what I put on my 4.3/alpha1 g2 Maxum when I had it instead of the "stock" exhaust bellows.
No worries, no issues only might be slightly louder when running it on the muffs....I personally like the sound.

Mark

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks all! Now I just have to wait 6 months before I can try it out.:pout:

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

he exhaust bellow that connects from the transom to the outdrive, that pushes the exhaust through the counter props, isn't there. Instead it looks like a boot that ends at the transom.

Howdy,

It's an alternative to the bellows. They are FAR easier (and should be cheaper) to install.

I would probably install one on mine, My previous engine/drive (460 OMG King Kobra) ran with the bellows missing for about 15 years!

Regards,

Rick

agallant80

Commander

Not to hijack the thread but I have never seen this before or have heard of it. From what I am reading it looks like a toss up one vs the other and its about the same. I guess the advantage to this it it would not need to be replaced as often as bellows? Also I am assuming that when the drive is down one tube slides in to the other?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yup. It's not a perfect fit or tight "seal", but it doesn't have to be.

They're a little louder because they’re essentially out of the water when the boat is running up on a plane.

tpenfield

Staff member

I have the 'tube' exhaust on my Port outdrive and the 'bellows' exhaust on my Starboard outdrive (not sure why, but it is like that) . . . I like the tube better. Noise does not seem to be a problem.

I plan on replacing the starboard bellows with a tube at some point.

agallant80

Commander

What is the advantage of the tube? Does it ever need to be replaced once installed?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tough to say if it will never need to be replaced but by design it's not being stretched and if you need to replace it, there is only a single hose clamp that needs to be loosened and the tube will pull right off.

Mark