Bravo 3 digital trim to analog wiring

Leedanger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Gentlemen. I picked up a 2002 formula with twin Mercruiser 496 mag engines (I’ll get back with the serial number shortly). Previous owner replaced the trim sending unit with the 2 wire analog pucks vs using the correct wire (Red,white,blue) digital pucks. The analog gauges installed on the boat are not functioning. The two black wires coming from the analog sending unit are not connected to anything, same as the 3 digital wires on engine harness side. Is there a way to get this all working without changing the sending unit out for the correct one?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If the gauges are analog then 12v and 1 sender wire to the gauge, the other sender wire to ground

Maclin

Admiral
This may not be applicable, but on my 2002 model 4.3MPI and Alpha GEN2, at the back of the engine on top there are wires with bayonet connectors for digital and analog trim gauges. Mine has the analog, so there are just 2 wires coming from the transom via lampcord, and only needed the 1 marked analog and the ground. The digital had 2 unused plus the ground on the engine. The ones on the engine were pretty accessible with just the open hatch. The connectors are gender-indexed.

Fun Times

Staff member
Being an 2002 boat, Maclin's suggestion should be the same for your 496 engine.
If you remove the two top plastic engine covers you should find some wires that say analog and digital trim...The digital trim should be an orange color while the analog is another color (Black I believe it may have been). Use the other color wire/s and adjust your gauge as needed. The orange digital wire won't typically work with your typical system and was more used for early smart craft setups.

The 3 wire color you described above is more of a later engine and/or transom assembly model smartcraft system starting somewhere after 2006+ used first for smart craft then for advanced wire type connections depended on models made thereafter of non smart crafts.