Bravo 1 swap to a bravo 2

Rudamus

Cadet
I found a bravo 2 drive in good condition. For a good price my bravo 1 is about shot. So was thinking about swapping them. Is that a good idea? Or bad?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Are you running a tug boat or house boat? Bravo 1 and Bravo 3 are for pleasure craft. Bravo 2 is for towing applications or commercial fishing boats.

alldodge

Staff member
I found a bravo 2 drive in good condition. For a good price my bravo 1 is about shot. So was thinking about swapping them. Is that a good idea? Or bad?

Years ago Merc would install a B2 on a boat which was a bit underpowered and as Scott mentioned also heavy. The B2 could work if you can prop down enough to get your rpm up. It still would not run as well, its just a large prop.

What boat do you have?

thumpar

Admiral
From another thread I see it is a 25' Searay. It seems kind of borderline on if a B2 is good for that or not. I would go B3 if you have the choice.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
From another thread I see it is a 25' Searay. It seems kind of borderline on if a B2 is good for that or not. I would go B3 if you have the choice.

A lot of 250 Sundancers like mine (1995-1998) came w/B2's from the factory. Honestly for a cruiser the only way to go is B3 IMHO. I wouldn't spend money on a B2 for your boat

Pete104

Lieutenant
You see some, I wouldn't alot of boats that vintage & size with B-II's. Funny that they are Sea-Rays & Bayliners. Not Chaparral or Monterey or other comp. I've seen a B II on a 28' Bayliner with a 350 MAG. That's pushing it.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
What part of your B1 is "shot"? If it's the top half, you can just swap that and re-use your B1 lower half, need to be sure they both have the same gears though. If you have a 1.65:1 B1 you will need a 2.20:1 B2, if you have a 1.5:1 B1 you will need a 2.0:1 B2, if you have a 1.36:1 B1, you will need a 1.81:1 B2.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
You see some, I wouldn't alot of boats that vintage & size with B-II's. Funny that they are Sea-Rays & Bayliners. Not Chaparral or Monterey or other comp.

Actually a B2 on a late 90's 250/270 Sundancer is fairly common. I spent enough time shopping for my boat to figure that out. I just drove by a twin engined Chaparral cruiser the other day sitting on blocks with B1's . Guess Chaparral used them as well!....LOL