Brand new starter will not turn engine.

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is my first boat. Its an 1983 Formula. I've been told it has a 350 chevy in it. Casement #10066036 Serial M12039V8 don't know it that 8 is right though. Alpha 1 stern drive. 15" 17deg prop. Two fully charged batteries. Any other details I will try to provide when requested.

Long story short the old starter got saltwater in it and died. Just put a new one in yesterday (SBC BBC CHEVY 3HP High Torque Mini Starter 327 350 400 10461445) and it will not crank the engine, it tries but just get's really hot. I've removed the wires and sanded the terminals. Still have the same issue. Perhaps after this is fixed I will post another thread how the saltwater got in the starter in the first place.

Thanks
David

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Brand new starter will not turn engine.

MARINE COATED STARTER Mercruiser 4.3LH GM 4.3L - 6cyl 50-812604A2 50-99418A2

This is the high torque starter you need.

Don't worry that it says 4.3 or 6cyl.

Last edited:

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class

After a quick glance at that part number, I see this isn't a marine starter. Wouldn't reccommend using it on a boat. Not only will it not stand up to the marine environment, but fumes in the bilge could cause an explosion with a starter that isn't designed to contain its sparks. Other thing to look at is what flywheel you have. 14" flywheels use a staggered bolt pattern, and 12" use a straight across pattern. Compare the mounting between the old and new. If they differ, the new one won't work, and it's possible the starter is just not engaging the ring gear. I wouldn't try to re-invent the wheel. Return it and get a proper one.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would pull the spark plugs and disconnect the coil and see if she cranks, Then replace with MARINE starter so you don't go boom

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

You say the new starter gets hot, is it engaged and stalled, not turning at all?

Remove all spark plugs, pull the lanyard to kill spark and try to turn the motor.

Will the motor turn over? Does water come out of any spark plug holes?

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class

IMG_5531.jpgIMG_5532.jpg

Old starter Left New starter Right. I only got the new one based off the old one that was on the boat. Can someone verify it the old starter was wrong to begin with. Model 6788BN The same company (WPS) makes both of them. I understand the new one is not marine coated. I guess the sellers clam that this new starter was suited for my application may have been false.

"Upgrade the old, heavy 9-tooth, 10MT design to a high output, lightweight, 11-Tooth PG260M starter. Ideal for hi-performance, MARINE & street-rod applications. Starter has a 4-Terminal solenoid w/ relay & switch terminals, will work on points style ignition or later electronic ignition systems"

? I don't know too much about flywheels and teeth but I do know the two bolt patter for the starter is straight across and not offset if that is what was meant above.

To try to keep up with the questions.
No water coming out of spark plug holes.
It tries to start and engaged the belts move about an inch or so each time I turn the key.
Another thing to mention which may or may not be related is the old starter just before it died. There were 2 times i could take the key out and it would still be trying to start until the batteries were shut off.

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class

As long as the old starter worked before, your new one is the correct pattern. Dead/dying batteries? The problem you had with the old starter constantly cranking was probably the solenoid or other internal problem...been there, done that.

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You say the new starter gets hot, is it engaged and stalled, not turning at all?

Remove all spark plugs, pull the lanyard to kill spark and try to turn the motor.

Will the motor turn over? Does water come out of any spark plug holes?

Okay I guess I didn't understand but now I do. Can't compress liquid. I pulled all the plugs and all had different amounts of water. 4 cylinders were full of water and 3 were half full 1 the plug was just wet. I am going to get the correct starter but in the mean time I am going to hook this one back up to see if the motor will turn over.

Does this mean I need new manifolds? Spark plugs? I am guessing this will happen again if I don't fix the problem.

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Reinstalled the new starter. Cranks over just fine shooting what appears to be rusty water. Seems like every time I fix one thing something else breaks. How did water get in my cylinders? It has just been a week since it ran. Should I be starting a new thread since this is a new issue?

Last edited:

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class

What led to the starter being submerged?

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We hit some rough water/waves out on the water and started taking on water somewhere from the transom. The bilge was coming on every 5 minutes and pumped for at least 30 seconds every time. Needless to say we must have jarred something and created a steady leak. It was filled up to the starter when we realized we had not hear the bilge run in a while. Then we started hand pumping the water out and headed straight back in. It has been about 2 weeks and the old starter went bad. We put the boat in the water at the dock to look for the leak. We also filled it up with the plug in to the bottom of the starter to see if it was leaking from the inside as well but it is only flowing in, not out. So we know the leak must be higher. We have checked the Y pipe, the bellows, and it is coming in high from the outside somewhere but showing up at the bottom of the mount inside.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Reinstalled the new starter. Cranks over just fine shooting what appears to be rusty water. Seems like every time I fix one thing something else breaks. How did water get in my cylinders? It has just been a week since it ran. Should I be starting a new thread since this is a new issue?

Yes please.