Brake lights. L.E.D. or standered??

Zrt1200

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok guys, What your opinions on brake lights?? Should I go with the newer LED's or the standard old fashion 1157 bulb style. Also do the LED's burn out when they hit the water like the 1157 bulb's do?? Thanks guys.

Greebo

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Brake lights. L.E.D. or standered??

LED's are the way to go.
They use less current, illuminate quicker, are generally completely sealed in expoy and thus are waterproof. Some are also very tolerate to voltage fluctuation (Australian Army use them on trailers that fit both 12V and 24V trucks without modification at all.
As well, because there are multiple LED's in the unlikely event of one blowing, all the others still operate. You would need to loose about 20% of them (very unlikely) before the lights were not roadworthy.
Spend the extra to go LED - you will never regret it.
Greebo

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

LED are more expensive but worth it in my opinion. I will be changing to them when I have to change my lights. I have never had bulb blowing issues with my current lights when dunking them in the water though. I usually unplug first but on the occasions when I have forgotten there has been no harm done.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use standard, but mount high on the guide ons, so they never get wet.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

LED for sure. Got mine on Ebay to replace the 6 months old cheap corroded lights I obtained form Harbour Freight to save money.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Sealed is the first priority; then whatever suits your fancy. Agree LED's are the way to go if you don't mind the bucks....course a 1157 in a sealed housing gets up there in price too.

Before the advent of sealed housings, I (like all the rest of you at the time I'm sure) had to remember to unplug the lights prior to launching and remember to plug back in before leaving for the trip back home.

If I didn't do that electrolysis would corrode the connections in a heart beat and I was launching in fresh water too.

Mark

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

my previous trailer had led's and I would dunk them in saltwater without unplugging them, no issues.

my current trailer has the air bubble style old bulb lights which I routinely forget to unplug due to thinking I still have the led's. No issues with them being dunked either when still connected.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

i've run both sealed LED's, the type that are sealed in epoxy, as well as drop in replacement 1157's. I think if I'm going to do any more LED's, i'm just using the drop in bulbs. Not quite as bright as the purpose built sealed ones, but also 1/5 the cost.

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I run LED lights.... much brighter than standard and last longer also.

I got a pair of rear brake/turn light on ebay for $30 shipped...
But my clearance light are still standard...(will change them in spring)

Although they are "sealed" i still unplug the lights before i go into the water,.... its just part of my pre launch practice.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Harbor Freight should have good cheap sealed LED assemblies. I got mine from Princess Auto (Canadian version) for about $25. Some LEDs have burned out but they're still bright and work great.

puddle jumper

Captain

I got LED,s and solved my frustrating trailer light problems with salt water.

Zrt1200

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, Thanks Guys. I have not priced out the LED's yet but the sealed 1157 ones are not cheap. I will do a price comparison and go from there. Thanks again.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use the standard sealed lights and never unplug them loading or unloading. Never have had any problems.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

LED's all the way....you wont regret it, and i got my set for under $50, including new wiring. they are much much brighter than this in person you can kinda tell by comparing to the truck taillights, but here's a pic:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh69/redone10503/DFpics013.jpg

( soo.....what are the new pic size "requirements"?)

Last edited by a moderator:

seanymph88

Recruit

the cheap leds burn out before long ive lost approx 3 lites per side
out of the dozen or so in it they are very nice and bright but im very skeptical about there lifespan these as well were fairly cheap one's
from NAPA about 1 1/2 years ago
im a firm believer in you get what you pay for however

on two of my other trailers i have sealed 1157 bulbs
which i never unhook while launching in 6-7 years i've had them on
i have never replaced a single bulb yet

puddle jumper

Captain

Wow you guys are picking up LED light kits for 25-30 dollars.

Mine cost me $125 Canadian. :eek:

Still have had no problems.

cribber

Lieutenant
Re: Brake lights. L.E.D. or standard??

Re: Brake lights. L.E.D. or standard??

My EZ Loader came with LEDs all the way around. They've been dunked in the water just about every weekend for the last year and a half without a problem. The incandescents on my utility trailer needed some attention once in about the same time frame.

If you're rebuilding and need to rewire, I'd opt for LED replacements. Otherwise, I'd say just maintain what you've got.

Triton II

Commander

My last trailer had standard incandescant bulb lights which lasted about two years (salt water usage) before the bulb mounts rusted to nothing. I replaced with sealed LEDs three years ago and they're still going strong. More recent trailer has LEDs and no problems so far. So I'd go the LED path - it'll save you money in the long run.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

If I used my boat in salt water, I would go with the sealed LED lights. I don't however boat in salt water and I have standard submersible lights on my boat trailer. I have never in 20+ years of boating popped a bulb due to backing the trailer in while plugged in and I never unplug. If I do lose a bulb on a trip, just about every gas station has 1157 bulbs. Also corrosion has not been an issue in fresh water for me as I properly maintain and grease the bulb sockets. The bulbs in my current boat trailer are 2 years old, but that is because I got the boat 2 years ago and re-wired the trailer when I got it. My previous boat had bulbs that were 8 years old when I sold it. The LEDs are nice, but for me I couldn't see spending the extra money. I will say though that I have noticed the price on the LED lights has come down drastically since I re-wired my trailer 2 years ago.