Bowrider Recommendations

j2017

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all the responses everyone. How about Glastron? From what I know of them they seem like a solid boat, and they certainly look the part. I've never actually been on one though. Thoughts?

Maclin

Admiral
I looked at a couple of the 18 footers from mid 2000's, they are ok on the fit and finish. The 20 footers and above will have some nicer features though. My prime directive after the search started to convalesce and take final form, was right-sizing between a 16' bowrider and a 22' Cuddy. I really wanted to stay with a single axle trailer so 20 footers dropped off my "real" list and I only browsed through those.

After I got the boat in my sig I sold my 1980 Glastron SSV167 Outboard Bowrider with original 90hp Mariner. So I am/was kind of a Glastron fan, but only true deep firsthand knowledge of them is from the 80's boats. My 1980 was as solid as a new boat but that does not really apply here I know, Glastron has been through a couple of changes since then.

My #3 choice this time was a 2006 Glastron MX175, and I would not have hesitated to get it had the other 2 not worked out.

j2017

Seaman Apprentice
I looked at a couple of the 18 footers from mid 2000's, they are ok on the fit and finish. The 20 footers and above will have some nicer features though. My prime directive after the search started to convalesce and take final form, was right-sizing between a 16' bowrider and a 22' Cuddy. I really wanted to stay with a single axle trailer so 20 footers dropped off my "real" list and I only browsed through those.

After I got the boat in my sig I sold my 1980 Glastron SSV167 Outboard Bowrider with original 90hp Mariner. So I am/was kind of a Glastron fan, but only true deep firsthand knowledge of them is from the 80's boats. My 1980 was as solid as a new boat but that does not really apply here I know, Glastron has been through a couple of changes since then.

My #3 choice this time was a 2006 Glastron MX175, and I would not have hesitated to get it had the other 2 not worked out.

Thanks. Yeah, I found a 2004 Glastron GX205 that seems like a nice boat. I still like the Four Winns 210 interior a bit more, but I may not be able to find one of those.

Last edited:

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Kind of a fan of the old Glastrons too. But the new ones use VEC hull construction. Much stronger, longer lasting.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
I know they're not on the high end 'luxury' wise but don't count out Stingray. Lil bro's got a 19' he bought new in '01. Still looks and runs great. And that "Z-plane" hull design is fast. That thing'll run low to mid 50's depending on load.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Got to start to hone it down. Glastron look like they were make out of a parts bin to some extent. They don't flow well but look "sporty". My neighbor has a new (2017)225 GT on his lift. It's a great first boat but is cheaply done everywhere you look above and below. Still a 50 plus k boat was easy financing. Its his first boat and has low expectations from the details and what you would consider better design.
Stingrays are cheap dollar wise but light weight which translates to different characteristics. As for speed, I love speed and I GPS at almost 57 but almost never go wot anyway but appreciate the power on the low end. My habits have changed as I got upwords to 40 and now get real speed from the waverunner anyway as do many on my lake.

Last edited:

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Well like I said, I like the old Glastrons. Ain't got much use for the new chit. Which is why I recommended ya shop for a Stingray.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Btw the "different characteristics" of Stingray's 'Z-plane' hull leave the rest wondering what just passed them.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Btw the "different characteristics" of Stingray's 'Z-plane' hull leave the rest wondering what just passed them.

Ha ha....they don't pass me or at least they haven't yet but they get the crap beat out of them on windy days which is about every other day or so. At a certain point in your ownership journey....the speed takes a back seat to ride quality and comfort. You either add a fast boat to the fleet that is not a ride quality boat such as a stingray or maybe get your real acceleration and speed from a supercharged waverunner or two where lake life is concerned. I rarely push up to the mid 50's in my signature boat but am never below the mid 50's on the waverunner unless it's windy. Of course bigger Stingray's are a different story.

Maclin

Admiral
There were several features on the boat I ended up with that made it stand out, listed below. This is on a 2002 model 19' bowrider boat, I am sure newer high level model trim offerings from most manufacturers have these and more. Not necessarily this specific list, just things to look for when comparing different boats.
  • Hinged cushions up front to access storage.
  • Built in cooler well up front with removable Coleman cooler.
  • Stainless grab bars.
  • Lift up stainless cleats.
  • 5 cleats, 1 up front, 2 amidship, 2 stern.
  • Court (cabin) lights, one in bow, 2 aft in cockpit.
  • Anchor locker with anchor locking mounts
  • Larger wraparound side cushions in bow area
  • Lots of beverage holders
  • 6 speaker stereo standard from Factory (working) with Dash Remote Commander
  • Robust windshield, framing seemed heavier than some.
  • Standard Ritchie gimballing compass
  • Trim gauge
  • Captain seat bolster
  • Tilt steering wheel
Other things, like Canvass. What all comes with each boat, what condition, etc. This boat came with a snap on mooring cover in very good condition, custom to the boat. Also the snaps are below the rub rail so entire top half of the boat is covered. The cover has sewn-in pole support mounts in bow and cockpit to accept the included adjustable aluminum poles. Also still had the original Sunbrella convertible top with boot in very good condition, all standard factory mounting. Look for added value from things like that when comparing boat to boat.

jkust

Rear Admiral
There were several features on the boat I ended up with that made it stand out, listed below. This is on a 2002 model 19' bowrider boat, I am sure newer high level model trim offerings from most manufacturers have these and more. Not necessarily this specific list, just things to look for when comparing different boats.
  • Hinged cushions up front to access storage.
  • Built in cooler well up front with removable Coleman cooler.
  • Stainless grab bars.
  • Lift up stainless cleats.
  • 5 cleats, 1 up front, 2 amidship, 2 stern.
  • Court (cabin) lights, one in bow, 2 aft in cockpit.
  • Anchor locker with anchor locking mounts
  • Larger wraparound side cushions in bow area
  • Lots of beverage holders
  • 6 speaker stereo standard from Factory (working) with Dash Remote Commander
  • Robust windshield, framing seemed heavier than some.
  • Standard Ritchie gimballing compass
  • Trim gauge
  • Captain seat bolster
  • Tilt steering wheel
Other things, like Canvass. What all comes with each boat, what condition, etc. This boat came with a snap on mooring cover in very good condition, custom to the boat. Also the snaps are below the rub rail so entire top half of the boat is covered. The cover has sewn-in pole support mounts in bow and cockpit to accept the included adjustable aluminum poles. Also still had the original Sunbrella convertible top with boot in very good condition, all standard factory mounting. Look for added value from things like that when comparing boat to boat.

Almost up to chaparral standards :) actually I do like your Xtra 2 speakers over my previous 18 foot chap's standard 4 speakers from 03. Add on the in-tach hour guage, diamond pattern glass floor with snap in carpet, in dash port side drainage cooler in addition to the bow cooler, docking lights, 6 pull up cleats, an extra couple hundred lbs of dry weight, the bow tip built in anchor storage, transom tilt switch, segmented transom storage next to the engine separated by King starboard material, all king starboard seat materials with flow through foam, Kevlar hull, decent sized 33 gallon gas tank for a rear gas tank, 36 oz vinyl, 270hp v8 option, Bow door and several others. The list the expands a lot when you get into the 20 plus foot class. The old chaps from the 2000's in their under 20 foot class of boats were some of their best. Chap then quit making the smaller boats in their ssi line and made a low end h20 line to deal with the economy downturn which is still very nice boat but you can't get their top quality in a small boat any longer.

Maclin

Admiral
Yes jkust, features like that certainly stand out when compared boat to boat and can hint at level of quality in the build. I had some Chaps on my list.

And to j2017 , look at all these features mentioned and see which ones you may end up insisting on before you put a boat on your candidate's list. For an example, my last big 22' boat only had the cleats at the stern, and only a bow eye up front although it did have rails to use to tie to there, but was a hassle to tie up to a dock for any length of time in windy weather. And as mentioned, the features list usually expands when you get over the 20' mark.

jkust, this boat has a 38 gallon tank, almost as big as my 22' foot 5.7l Cuddy had at 45gal!. It has some of those other features you listed also like segmented transom storage, makes for a very versatile boat. I don't think my hull can stop a bullit though ;).

jkust , did your Chaps have the bow rails? That is one thing on Bryants that is kind of conspicuously missing and does not seem to be an option. That comes up on the Bryant board occasionally. I have never had a boat without them until this one. Having typed all that in, I never really used them either except to tie to on the big boat.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Stingrays are rapid...no doubt.
There is one in our marina with a 4.3 carb and she flies. Very lightweight shallow hull...but not ideal in a chop and no match for the mighty Campion Chase Performance !!! Haha.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Yes jkust, features like that certainly stand out when compared boat to boat and can hint at level of quality in the build. I had some Chaps on my list.

And to j2017 , look at all these features mentioned and see which ones you may end up insisting on before you put a boat on your candidate's list. For an example, my last big 22' boat only had the cleats at the stern, and only a bow eye up front although it did have rails to use to tie to there, but was a hassle to tie up to a dock for any length of time in windy weather. And as mentioned, the features list usually expands when you get over the 20' mark.

jkust, this boat has a 38 gallon tank, almost as big as my 22' foot 5.7l Cuddy had at 45gal!. It has some of those other features you listed also like segmented transom storage, makes for a very versatile boat. I don't think my hull can stop a bullit though ;).

jkust , did your Chaps have the bow rails? That is one thing on Bryants that is kind of conspicuously missing and does not seem to be an option. That comes up on the Bryant board occasionally. I have never had a boat without them until this one. Having typed all that in, I never really used them either except to tie to on the big boat. My current boat has a 56 gallon tank. There is a correlation with tank size and dry weight for these bow riders with where they stand on the quality continuium...at least for the under 20 foot class. Of course I see it too with the over 20 for class where lower end boats skimp you all over the whole boat.

The next model up from my previous 18 footer had them but not the 18 footer so they started from the 19 footers on up. My Current boat has them but many brands new boats have now gotten rid of them in favor of cheaper handles. My kids use them at times on the current boat.

j2017

Seaman Apprentice

I wound up getting an '04 Glastron GX 205 with the Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi engine. It's clean and has a wrap around rear bench, which I really like. I'd still like to eventually get to the Four Winns 210, but it was looking to be several thousand dollars more than I paid for the Glastron. Now I just need to find a cover for it, the original was lost along with the snap in carpet - it was kept in a garage previously.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I wound up getting an '04 Glastron GX 205 with the Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi engine. It's clean and has a wrap around rear bench, which I really like. I'd still like to eventually get to the Four Winns 210, but it was looking to be several thousand dollars more than I paid for the Glastron. Now I just need to find a cover for it, the original was lost along with the snap in carpet - it was kept in a garage previously.

Alright...it's got the MPI engine so that's decent. Lots of covers available. Just have to decide if you need a tow capable cover or storage cover or possible custom made snap on mooring cover (s). As for the snap in carpet...I used mine I think one week and took it out and don't know that I ever used it in my previous chaparral. . I could live without the carpet pieces.

j2017

Seaman Apprentice

Attachments

• IMG_20170714_160130.jpg
    IMG_20170714_160130.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20170714_160603.jpg
    IMG_20170714_160603.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20170714_160114.jpg
    IMG_20170714_160114.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 1

jkust

Rear Admiral
Looks decent...just needs a bit of detailing. That engine is the key with that boat for sure.