Bowrider Hull Repair/Fix or Junk

phartz1

Cadet
Re: Bowrider Hull Repair/Fix or Junk

Hmmmm. Bondo huh... I will continue to take pictures as I sand it down and find what lies beneath.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Since it's a Salt Water boat it could also be multiple layers of that yucky Ablative Bottom paint too!!! Make sure and wear a GOOD respirator when you're sanding on whatever it is!!!!:eek:

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since it's a Salt Water boat it could also be multiple layers of that yucky Ablative Bottom paint too!!! Make sure and wear a GOOD respirator when you're sanding on whatever it is!!!!:eek:

I agree. Better to play safe than sorry just in case my eyes deceive me. Whatever the case is I wish you the best of luck and never loose patience with it, if you get aggravated and sometimes it does happen (does to the best of us at times) just remember to step away for a bit and approach from a different angle of attack.

Ruffnutt I built a 1969 Camaro Z28 almost from the ground up in high school (had a pretty good start to it when I found it) and several show cars since then, I'm more a muscle car guy but have done a few imports too.

Chris

phartz1

Cadet

Ok went out and took some more pictures of the boat.

IMG_20130717_170830_zps960e6591.jpg

^ What I think is roller damage

IMG_20130717_170752_zpsd78a5efd.jpg

^ Why does the transponder have Tar on it?

IMG_20130717_171004_zps05beb281.jpg

^ Best tool for this and the rest of the hull?

Thank you for all the replies, couldnt do it without the forum!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

WOW, that looks like some real bad attempt at repair with bondo and glass. You need to get a 4 1/2" grinder with a rubber backup pad and some 40 grit discs and grind all that stuff off and get it cleaned up so we can see what's under there. This hull is is rough shape. Do you have sentimental attachment to her?

phartz1

Cadet

No, no sentimental attachment but also dont have a problem doing some hard work.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Based on what I'm hearing and seeing, if I wanted to restore this boat, my plan of attack would be to strip everything off of her, get her off the trailer, upside down onto a cradle and grind all the crud off that hull so I could see everything that needed to be repaired. Fix all of it, Paint or gelcoat the hull then flip her right side up and do the rest of the restoration. That's how I would go about it.
But hey, I'm just an...
OldDumbOkie.jpg
so you might want to consider the source.:D

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Based on what I'm hearing and seeing, if I wanted to restore this boat, my plan of attack would be to strip everything off of her, get her off the trailer, upside down onto a cradle and grind all the crud off that hull so I could see everything that needed to be repaired. Fix all of it, Paint or gelcoat the hull then flip her right side up and do the rest of the restoration. That's how I would go about it.
But hey, I'm just an...
OldDumbOkie.jpg
so you might want to consider the source.:D
I agree with WOG on this before spending any money on repair supplies get it off the trailer and flipped over and start grinding onher get down to the original gelcoat or glass whichever shows up first. There is definitely some funky chit going on there. At least if you get ir all ground down and figure out its not worth repairing all you have wasted is time a little money on the grinding discs.

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to agree with everybody except I'd use a DA sander instead of a grinder. Better results but like others said strip all of it off and start new.

The "tar" is actually a plastic of some sort and is used to seal the coomponents of the transducer from water. Electronics and water don't play well together unless sealed.

Chris