bow roller broke... boat on trailer

alternative

Seaman
my bow roller is crushed..didnt notice until boat was on trailer.. worried about metal frame cutting into the bow..or hull.. how do i replace now that boat is on trailer .. have to travel with trailer soon.. dont want to damage hull..? <br />how can i replace or cusion the worn roller <br />thanks

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: bow roller broke... boat on trailer

As a temp measure use a towel or blanket folded up and jam it inbetween the boat and whats left of the roller. <br /><br />Is your trailer roller or bunk? If its roller you can pull the boat backwards a little to gain access for bowroller replacement. Does the bow roller mount onto an adjustable tower? If so the tower can be loosened and moved away from the boat.<br /><br />Aldo

Bondo

Staff member

A Jack,+ a Block of Wood will lift the boat Off the damaged Roller......<br />Then just Replace it........

alternative

Seaman

thanks its a bunk trailer.. and i will try the jack...and block.. just curious if boat would slide off bunks or crack the hull while jackin up.. thanks again,, ?? if i raise the trailer up high enough then shove a block of wood under and lower the trailer the bow should go up???? then change and lower .. correct?>

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Bondo:<br /> A Jack,+ a Block of Wood will lift the boat Off the damaged Roller......<br />Then just Replace it........
Add a cushion between the wood and the hull like an old mouse pad for a bit of insurance. Don't have to lift too high. Good luck with the caps on the stem.

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rather than worrying about lifting the boat, etc. you could mark the position of the winch post on the trailer tongue, then just loosen the u-bolts holding the post to the tongue and slide the winch post/bow roller assembly away from the boat. Replace the bow roller, then slide the post back to the mark and tighten the u-bolts. Crank on the winch to snug the bow up to the roller. If desired or needed, the next time you launch the boat you can make a final adjustment to the winch post location, but that probably won't be necessary. Good luck.

alternative

Seaman

its all one unit welded together.. must lift boat pchonda... no bolts? so guess ill try to lift on monday! .. whats up with the caps?on the stem..said by nyminute?

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

Release the bow winch, then using the tongue jack, jack the front of the trailer about 6" higher than it is now, go about halfway between the bow stop and the wheels on each side of the trailer frame and place a jack stand there. Lower the tongue jack. There is enough flex in the trailer to let it lower away from the bow stop. I changed rollers on a trailer with a 25" cruiser sitting on it.<br />Oh yeah, do yourself a favor and get the yellow roller.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

wet the boat and trailer tie the boat to a tree and pull the trailer forward with your vehical. that will slide the boat back on the bunkers then u can fix the roller use the winch to pull the boat back up. i am telling u to wet it down because it will slide easyer. i have seem people put jacks though the bottom of boats jacking them up but they did not use a big enough peice of wood. i find it easyer to tie it to a tree.

alternative

Seaman

now i have two choices .. the tree sounds logical but what if the damn boat slides completely off..? i wonder if the trailer flex is true. i may try the jackstands on the trailer and lower the bow.. like jlshields suggested above.. wonder what is the best easiest way.. dont want to ruin glass on boat.... got enough nicks on the gelcoat as it is.. and speakin of that i know this aint the forum for it but .. what about the nicks ans stress cracks... small but noticeable.. what to Do>

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

Leave the winch strap attached, but loose if you are going to try the tree pull method. That should insure that your boat won't wind up on the ground.<br /><br />DougV>

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I were going to try the 'tie to a tree method' I would wonder where to attach to the boat. I wouldn't trust the ski tow eye to be strong enough and the transom eyes are placed for a vertical pull, not lateral.<br />Just something to think about.<br />The jackstand is not something I heard about. It's the way I did it.

alternative

Seaman

hey sheilds ... good idea.. your trick works.. that was smooth and so easy.. thanks again!

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

alternative, glad it worked for you too. <br />Did you get the yellow roller?

alternative

Seaman

Yellow roller... fits nice..and thanks again for the tip... much appreciated