Bow mount shaft length?

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so here's the deal...my last fishing boat was a 16' Lund tiller. I sold that and got one just a bit longer and a bit wider. I got rid of the Minn Kota Powerdrive off of it because I like cable steer models much better. My last boat had a motor guide with a 45" shaft that I cudda swore was just long enough. The current Motor Guides switched the on/off and selective power switch around on the foot pedal. Therefore, I'm looking at the Minn Kotas. The Minn Kotas typically come in 42" shaft for cable steer. 52" is available but with the mount they come with are GIANT. Does anyone out there run a 42" shaft minn Kota on their fishing boat?? I'm afraid in a chop it's just going to be a touch short. I understand there are rules of thumb in regards to trolling motor running depth but want to see what you alls opinion is. Thanks!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You asked an unanswerable question since obviously lots of folks do run a 42 inch shaft or minnkota would not make them. The question that should be asked is -- "does anyone run a 42-in Minnkota on (insert your boat make/model)"? The rule of thumb is to splash the boat and then measure from the motor mounting surface to the water and add one foot. If you routinely fish rough water and you come up at the one foot point, I would go the next size longer. You can adjust the motors up and down but you cannot lengthen the 42 incher if it comes up a bit short.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would select one that you think is the correct length one. And if it is too long, you can always cut it down. And if it is too short, you can always buy a longer shaft. There are replacement trolling motor shafts replace all the time. And if you understand how to do such a replacement, then you can go either way if need be. JMHO!