Bow Covers

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer
I tried the search function several times but always a blank page so here goes it.

I am going to make a vinyl bow cover this winter for my boat but how are they connected? I really don't want to drill in snap connectors, is there another way?

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bow Covers

Do they at least make them in white so you don't see them so much? I have never seen them except SS.

ThrashN

Seaman Apprentice

Could you make one from fiberglass? Kinda like the truck bed covers. Would it be too much weight :confused:

bowtie4x4295

Seaman Apprentice

I have been thinking about having one made for mine as well. My main concern with snaps all the way around is getting in and out while beeched. You know how easy it is to slip. I would be scared of soft wet feet sliding and catching a snap and causing an injury. So far that is my only hang up...

Mike

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

Could you make one from fiberglass? Kinda like the truck bed covers. Would it be too much weight :confused:

Thats a good idea but wouldn't work in my case with the bow rail in the way.

I have been thinking about having one made for mine as well. My main concern with snaps all the way around is getting in and out while beeched. You know how easy it is to slip. I would be scared of soft wet feet sliding and catching a snap and causing an injury. So far that is my only hang up...

Mike

I would have mine on the outside so that the material could kinda rap over the top edge, I just don't want them because of the look of the snaps and I don't think I would have the cover on enough to justify it.

If the genious who decided to drop the bow 5 inches for view didn't do that I wouldn't have this problem.:(

Last edited:

ThrashN

Seaman Apprentice

I'm sure you could get the snaps powdercoated

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure you could get the snaps powdercoated

I probably could? I am gonna look more into diferent ways of attaching it. If anyone has any other ideas let me know as I am really trying to stay away from snaps.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I think the powdercoating would scratch off the snaps after a few times on and off with the cover. I wasn't crazy about the look at first but you get used to it.

As for hurting yourself, they don't really have any sharp edges. I've walked, slid, crawled, and fallen across them many times without an issue...

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

I was talking to my upholstory guy last night and I guess they make plastic snap covers that make them look good and smoother so I will probably go that route as soon as I have the curage to drill holes in my boat.