Bottom painting question for us Doral folks.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Folks,

I've done a search and read a lot and now I'm more confused than ever and thought I'd ask my fellow Doral owners.

I'm considering slipping my almost new 210 Sunquest up in Georgian Bay but then read all about epoxy barrier coat to avoid blistering/osmosis. I'm really not interested in anti-fouling, I'll just clean the boat many times during the year. I'm also not keen on painting a barrier coat but of course don't want blisters.

Any of you slip a Doral without any sort of paint? Am I just asking for trouble by not putting a barrier coat on?

I'm now reconsidering the slip and may see if I can store the boat at the marina on the trailer and just splash it every time we go up (even though that is a pain in the butt).

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bottom painting question for us Doral folks.

Had ours in the marina each season for years now. We have nothing on it other than a good coat of wax before we go in each spring. No problems at all and our boat is now 25 years old. We do however take it out regularly to go cottaging or camping trips. At these times she gets a good powerwash to remove any nasty stuff that wants to grow.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the feedback.

So you have the boat in the marina for weeks at a time or is it out more than in?

Cheers.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the feedback.

So you have the boat in the marina for weeks at a time or is it out more than in?

Cheers.

Comes out on average about once a month for either a camping trip or off to the cottage for vacation. I give it an immediate power wash (within 10 minutes) of putting it on the trailer. Scrub with a soft broom a little and 10 minutes later she looks as good as the start of the season.
If I was staying in for the entire season then I would have to evaluate further.
Hope this helps.

plmskier

Seaman Apprentice

Mine blistered to SH*T! I keep mine in all season. This will be year 3 full time in the water from may to oct. This year I'm getting the hull sanded, blisters fixed and putting an antifouling paint on her so it dosent happen again. Not only will your boat stay clean from the antifouling from what I hear, it's also water proof! I don't have to pull it out monthly to clean with slimmy grimy and won't have to touch it really for 5 years with touch up. I think it will be worth it. Better now to put on a barrior coat if your in the water for a long time then to spend money to fix nasty time consuming blisters down the road. Think about it, all yaughts left in year around have painted botoms.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

I agree, my boats never had antifoul paint and has spent 20 summers (I just got it in August) in the water, now the bottom appears to be permanantly stained green >.< There's a few blister marks starting to show. Not sure how to proceed...sand n paint?

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

I would put a coat of wax on and remove monthly to clean and dry out for a couple of days. I went 10 years on my old bayliner left in seasonally before my first blister appeared. Gel coat pores take a long time for the osmosis to take place and the wax will slow it down.:)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Agree completely with the wax to slow it down.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the end I just pulled the boat everytime we went out. The extra 10-15 minutes to launch and haul was no big deal compared to the extra work of cleaning if it I kept it in the slip and the worry about blistering and whatever else. It's also hard to sink on a trailer if something went horribly wrong.

Hull is nice and clean and dry.

Cheers.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Good to hear it.
Going to be a long winter !!! :eek:

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

yeah, why does winter get to be so long?

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

That it does. It's also a good time to do the repairs and upgrades that are difficult to accomplish in the summer when you want to use the boat. I've always tried to do one interesting upgrade a year in the winter with previous boats, whether it was a little trim work, or the year I built a mahogany full width swim platform for my old fiberform. It can be time well spent. :)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Going to spend this winter finishing our basement "Pub"
Boat will be just fine this year. (I hope :eek:)

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

basement pub you say....

klab010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi guys. what does the blistering look like? any pics? How long does the anti-fouling last?

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi guys. what does the blistering look like? any pics? How long does the anti-fouling last?

It'll look like a bump or bubble in your gelcoat like a reverse dimple and can be as large as a dime or quarter.

Anti-fouling paint should last a few years.