bottom painting prices in NJ

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking to remove all bottom paint and start from scratch, prime n paint. Any places in Central NJ with fair prices and good work?
I live off of exit 135 parkway so someplace with a reasonable distance would be prefered. Thank You.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: bottom painting prices in NJ

prices are going to be the same anywhere you go,minor fluctuations in price,but generally the same.Now...here's what to ask and what to do -
stripping old paint - make sure its done with a carbide wheel paint stripper,NOT HARD SANDED and NOT WATER BLASTED,this will ruin your bottom resulting in massive amounts of blisters and water penetration.
Paint - depending on how long she sits in the water or is trailered, use Co-polymer ablative,it will withstand periods out of the water without failure as opposed to a anti-foul with algisides which becomes useless after being out of the water for any prolonged period of time.
WATCH THEM PAINT THE BOAT- many marinas will charge for top-of-the-line antifoul and will slap on one coat of cheap paint...make sure its Interlux-Petit or System3 - anything else is crap.
READ THIS - http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/boat_painting_guide/pdf/antifouling/intro.pdf

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

prices are going to be the same anywhere you go,minor fluctuations in price,but generally the same.Now...here's what to ask and what to do -
stripping old paint - make sure its done with a carbide wheel paint stripper,NOT HARD SANDED and NOT WATER BLASTED,this will ruin your bottom resulting in massive amounts of blisters and water penetration.
Paint - depending on how long she sits in the water or is trailered, use Co-polymer ablative,it will withstand periods out of the water without failure as opposed to a anti-foul with algisides which becomes useless after being out of the water for any prolonged period of time.
WATCH THEM PAINT THE BOAT- many marinas will charge for top-of-the-line antifoul and will slap on one coat of cheap paint...make sure its Interlux-Petit or System3 - anything else is crap.
READ THIS - http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/boat_painting_guide/pdf/antifouling/intro.pdf

Thanks for the reply.
The boat is in the water for 6 months of the year. Than on the trailer for the other 6 being winter. The last guy that painted the boat last year obviously didnt do the job right. He some what sanded it. but didnt removed old paint. Than he put 2 coats of the interlux primer than 2 coats of the micron csc. I saw him do that part. But when i took the boat out of the water this year and power washed it. Alot of paint was chipping off even the old paint that was under the primer.
Which is why I need a good reputable place that knows what there doing. Also I probably wont be able to see them do it because of my job.
Ive called around and everybody has a different price and everybody says there the best.

traderdavel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What about soda blasting? I have read on forums about people using baking soda to do this/
Also why not sanding? Why carbide wheel paint stripper?

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What about soda blasting? I have read on forums about people using baking soda to do this/
Also why not sanding? Why carbide wheel paint stripper?

I called a few places that do soda blasting. One there to far for me. Second they wanted 1000 to do a 21ft boat. 3rd. I heard both good things and horror stories. Guess it depends on whos doing it.