Bottom Paint

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer
I boat in salt water in summer months only using ablative interlux bottom kote paint. The boat after being hauled out for winter has some greenish color on the bottom paint. Was thing of launching without painting bottom this year being that the ablative paint is still covering the bottom. So question is can I get another year without painting the bottom?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
probably, the barrier coat should still be there so it may be protected yet. however I don't boat in salt.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Not a chance!!! Paint it or you will be sorry in a few months.Prep paint by pressure washing or stiff brushing it wet and put another coat.Sanding not necessary.I have done this for 40 years in salt.Unless you painted it last season in a "multi season" big $$$ bottom paint .....paint it before launching.Charlie

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Depends on the paint and the environment and length of the time of immersion.

If the paint is ablative, it could be multi-season. The cheaper ablatives are one season only.

It also depends on the temperature and therefore the speed of growth of the stuff. I have gone to an anti-slime ablative (under the West Marine) label. It is better than the non anti-slime stuff. I can likely get 2 years out of a single application.