Bottom paint

chdabren

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey gang....good to see everyone is still around...lol. I haven' t posted in a long time...sorry. I've been thinking about redoing my boats bottom paint. It needs it bad!!! She's starting to look like some of the large, steel hulled fishing vessels around here, save for the barnacles ....lol. I'd like to find out opinions on the best way to remove the old paint and suggestions on what to replace it with. Differences between "ablative" (?) paint....etc. I've never bottom painted or stripped before. Just want to get it done now before season '09 is upon us and I'm late getting water bound as was the case last year. Any help would be fantastic. My boat is used in both salt and fresh water (Cape Codder here), altho fresh water is the primary usage. Thanks ahead of time for any helpful advise.

Chris

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bottom paint

is your boat store on trailer, or left in the water?

chdabren

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey tashasdaddy.......it's stored on a trailer...altho dry docked in my back yard right now. I knew I would be doing some trailer work and also paying some overdue attention to my hull so I dry docked it to make things easier. Trailer needs new rollers, fenders and wheel bearings. It's alot easier to do things while on jackstands lol. I'd just like to find out the best (and of course most cost effective) way to remove my bottom paint and redo it. Truth is...I also need to do a small section of floor as well but it's not a pressing issue. I've had a great season ('08) with this boat and looking forward to a better 2009 season. I didn't launch last year till late August and even then, I learned a hard lesson. I forgot to torque my prop correctly and lost propulsion 1/2 way around the lake (doh!!!) THAT prop remains on the lake bottom...lol. I did manage to limp assure...running my old 'Rude 85 hp at 4,000 rpm and used the exhaust thrust (as little as it was) to get back to shore. I was about 400 yards from shore when I noticed my planing dropped to nothing and my rpm's were at 4,300. At first...I thought I was in a STRONG current pool but with 85 hp on back.....I should've powered right thru it. I then realized that I'd forgotten to tighten the prop nut and my moronic mind KNEW what had happened. I was too embarrassed to VHF the harbormaster and I still had engine power...and I could move...just not fast. So.....back to shore I limped.....around 3 or 4 knots (not bad really), engine screaming away lol. VERY hard lesson learned. Funny....isn't that my signature quote?? lol. Anyway....this season will be better. I bought a new prop, just need to take care of this bottom paint issue. Yes the boat is stored on a trailer. I'm replacing all my rollers with "non marriing" type rollers. All 30 of 'em :mad: and doing new tires, rims, bearings and I should be good for a couple years. So....onto the bottom paint removal issue....what should I do?? Thanks again.

chris

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you do not need any abative bottom paint, if store on the trailer, it will be just cosmetic, to cover the existing paint. with a respirator, sand the bottom to get a good surface, and use Rustoleum marine paint. it holds up well, and easy to apply. http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=4

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class

tashasdaddy,
Do you own stock in Rustoleum? You are about the only boater I heard in my entire life of boating 20 plus years that pushes this product. There are much better bottom paints like Pettits, Interlux and Awlgrip. These brands are time tested in EVERY possible marine condition.

Chdabren,
I would suggest go to one of the marinas in the area you boat and ask around "what kind of bottom paint do you use?" Here is a link on how to bottom paint from a professional named Don Casey.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/15.htm

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I think TD's point was that if your trailering a boat and not leaving it in the water for long periods of time you not only don't need bottom paint, but because bottom paint is made to wear and continue to expose fresh copper etc your really spending a bunch of money that you don't need to.

Rustoleum marine happens to be the lowest priced marine paint.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

There's only one paint that I know of that can be applied by the average person and can withstand trailering on a bunked trailer. That would be Interlux's VC Performance Epoxy.

So, if your trailer sits on rollers and not bunks, the Marine Rustoleum is an inexpensive and excellent product from what I am hearing, (never used it myself). It should also be fine on a bunked trailer provided you take your boat out of the water every day or so. The reason for that is that most paints don't resist water for more than 72 hours and setting your boat on wet bunks is just like leaving your boat in the water. Bunks will usually dry out in a day or two depending on the weather so as long as you are mindful of that you should be fine.

As was mentioned above, ablatives are designed to wear off, that's how they work. On a bunked trailer you will wear that area quite rapidly but you can touch it up and get a good two years on average between repaints. You can also leave your boat in the water long term provided you apply a proper barrier coating first.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

you dont even need marine rustoleum. im going to use regular rustoleum professional

sschefer

Rear Admiral

you dont even need marine rustoleum. im going to use regular rustoleum professional
Personally, I'd be hesitant to do that. Probably because I haven't done it but I have used a lot of Rustoleum and have been through their school so I do know that it is not formulated to withstand submersion and on a glass boat I think you'd be putting the hull at risk. They didn't discuss the Marine products in the class I took.

Maybe you'd be o.k. if you always take your boat out of the water at the end of the day.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

Personally, I'd be hesitant to do that. Probably because I haven't done it but I have used a lot of Rustoleum and have been through their school so I do know that it is not formulated to withstand submersion and on a glass boat I think you'd be putting the hull at risk. They didn't discuss the Marine products in the class I took.

Maybe you'd be o.k. if you always take your boat out of the water at the end of the day.

yeah i just saw that he keeps it in water all day. mine will be coming out, so thats why ill be using it on my glass. lots of people have done with no problems.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

You can find lots of resources on removing your old bottom paint.

The safety warnings really do mean something, so pay attention.

Personally I'd use my Ryobi dual action sander hooked up to my shop vac with a drywall dust bag in it.

Wear a respirator!

------------------------

If you don't leave your boat in the water there is no reason to spend more on bottom paint.

The only reason to put the stuff on is if you leave it for long periods in the water.

IF you want it try petit vivid, it's hard, and looks good. ($50 quart)

A good reason not to put it on is cost, contaminating the environment, slowing your boat down and increasing fuel consumption....