Boston Whaler 190 Montauk O.K. for shollow water bank fishing?

Burro237

Seaman Apprentice
I've been shopping for my second boat for a few months now. I have been looking exclusively at used Whalers. I live about 200 miles from the coast, but make at least 1 trip a year to the beach/ bay, (Destin, Gulf Shores, etc.) What I want is a low maintenance boat with a shallow draft that I can fish from (mostly by myself) for 99% of the year, that is light and easily trailerable, but still have something capable of taking my family out to the Gulf and the Bays during summer vacation. I found a local 190 Montauk, and I really think it will fit the bill for the family vacation. I'm just concerned about inshore fishing. I'd like to hear from those who have this model or similar, and how it handles shallow close-to-the-bank fishing. As much as I love the look and security of the Whalers, part of me says that it may be wiser to just buy a cheap Jon boat for my catfishing and just buy the family a ski boat for beach vacations.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Boston Whaler 190 Montauk O.K. for shollow water bank fishing?

it will be fine. what's the concern--depth? Hull against rocks? whalers float high and have shallow drafts.

an alternative is a carolina skiff--light, shallow, inexpensive, great all-around boat

Re: Boston Whaler 210 Montauk

Re: Boston Whaler 210 Montauk

I just ordered a new 210 Montauk with the T-Top. I am looking for canvas options to add sun protection for the rear seat over the live-well. I'm also looking for a good boat cover for this boat. The boat will be stored on its trailer in Florida for several months at a time.

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

" low maintenance boat "

did anyone else laugh?

ThrottleBack

Petty Officer 1st Class

My dad always said a boat is a money pit in the driveway disguised as a labor of love. I relived that when Cory on Pawn Stars bought that boat and Rick almost had a cow lol

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 15' Whaler with a 60 Merc. Four Stroke.

It is a great shallow water boat.

There are not many places to sit in a Whaler, regardless of Center Console Model.

The 19 Montauk has as many seat locations as any Center will.

Install a "KeelShield" on the forward part of the hull. Mine allows me to beach just about anywhere. Even a concrete ramp.