Bosch Platinum 4 way

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
platinum+4_roll_on.jpg
<br /><br />Has anyone used these plugs? What are your thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bosch Platinum 4 way

With a Properly Tuned Engine,<br />You'd Neither Feel or Notice a Difference........<br /><br />I see them as a Waste of Coin.........

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boiling, you still only have ONE positive electrode, so why would you need four ground??? It would probably just confuse the spark and your engine would misfire! :D

Drowned Rat

Captain

Agree with jlshields. Those plugs are a gimmick. The spark comes out and has 4 routes to take. Sometimes it takes 1, sometimes it takes 4. If it chooses more than one ground the spark will be weaker than if it only chooses one. Weaker spark, less heat, unburned fuel, misfire, re-install old plugs. Don't waste your money. :)

cjflanagan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've read that over the last few seasons spark plug manufacturers have had to change their recommendations for spark plugs for many applications and / or come up with new designs because fuel for sale has been changing due to federal regulation and new technologies. It may not be the best bet, any more, to install the same plug that was in your motor from the last tune-up, for it could easily be inadequate for the current fuel being used. So on a whim, I have experimented with these plugs. I am not happy with them and am getting a misfire. I'm wondering if it's just me, or if others have actually tried them and come to the same conclusion.

ncwest39

Seaman

For what its worth I was a Ford tech for 15 years and the platumin plugs were fine on the newer computer controlled engines but fouled alot on the older carb engines.If you scoped the engine with the platinum plugs which was done alot you would see a lot cleaner burn pattern and but not so with the carb engine.My experence has been that AC plugs are for and work better in GM engines and Motorcraft are best for Ford.I would not use platinum on anything 96 or older.My knowledge is with automobile engines but they all work the same.

Bondo

Staff member

My experence has been that AC plugs are for and work better in GM engines and Motorcraft are best for Ford.
I could Agree More..........<br /><br />And, You Forgot.......<br />Champions are Junk.....

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

My experience from an engine that always were hard on plugs, is that the wear is distributed over the 4 electrodes. The spark finds the shortest way so as the gap increases on one electrode the spark shifts to the next.<br /><br />In effect, it means longer life. If you change plugs at regular intervals that makes standard plugs perform OK, you'll gain nothing from 4x electrodes.<br /><br />In general sparkplugs have developed over tme to suit new ingition system designs, just like coils and other parts, aiming for a more accurate operation to make better use of fuel (better performance, less consumption)

ncwest39

Seaman

Platinum plugs are just a way for car makers to say "No tune up for 60 or even 90k miles".I remember when the 24 valve Ford Contour came out Ford said no new plugs for 90k.Reality was 45-65k and I thought that was even to long.On cold mornings new plugs would even foul quickly.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> yep split-fires ,flash firse, fire ring. its all gimmkery. the jerry's marine sales rep came by years ago with a special on "split-fires" warrented to boost horsepower by 10%. the guy we worked for said hey we just took this 150 off the dyno. if we install the split-fires and it boosts power by 10% Ill buy them. we installed the plugs and wound it up and saw exactly no change in measured power on our IDC model 2300 dyno. so save your money and keep the motor tuned.<br /> good luck and keep posting