book values... how accurate are prices?

j_reed

Cadet
Hey guys
I am thinking of selling my boat, I am wondering how close the value is compared to the book, they say its around 5500, which sounds high, I would have guessed 4500, no salt water use, interior about a 6-7, not sun beat or stinky, just used couple of small tears.

additional question for anyone that wants to take a stab at it, what the value with a blown motor, thats not the case, it still runs fine, I've just wondered how far the value will fall if the engine blows. thanks much.
-jay

1995 searay BR195
mercruiser 4.3 2bl alpha gen II
this is a 20ft price point searay that they made for only a few years. similar to the price point BR 175 that they still make. though that is typically a 4cly

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer
Re: book values... how accurate are prices?

Values for boats are more local market dependent than anything. Basically, its worth what someone will pay for it. Now is your best time to sell of course. Post up on Craigslist or wherever, what you want for it, and see what kind of traffic you get.

tpenfield

Staff member

It kind of depends on the 'book' that you are reading from. NADA can be inaccurate by 20% or so. . . BUCvalue is more accurate to 'the market'. Of course, there is no specific price that is 'the market' . . . it is all subjective.

If you are planning on selling, then think about what you would look for as a buyer. . . .

Probably something along the lines of . . . 'Best boat at the lowest price'.

So, if you want your boat to sell, make it in line with what a buyer would want, (best boat at the lowest price) while still maintaining your desire to get some decent money out of the deal.

So, if you think $5500 is too high, then go for $4500. Check your competition . . .

JoLin

Vice Admiral

additional question for anyone that wants to take a stab at it, what the value with a blown motor, thats not the case, it still runs fine, I've just wondered how far the value will fall if the engine blows. thanks much.

IMO, not much, but it depends on the buyer. I'm no longer capable of doing heavy-duty mechanical work, so I'd be hiring a shop to do the heavy, crammed in the engine room work.

To me, a blown motor means no sea trial and no way to determine the condition of the outdrive. For all I know the entire drivetrain is junk and my offer would reflect that. If it had a trailer I might offer you a little more than the trailer is worth.

My .02

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not that good with boats, but I am with cars. As far as "Book" value, if I could get "book", I would sell every damn thing I own! LOL. Before 2008, I would say use "book", but now, I would use it as a max price guide line. Example: My boat "books" for 8800, I paid 5200. Yes, it needed 400.00 worth of tires on the trailers,impeller change(My Decision), and a Bilge pump and switch. Even with price paid and parts, I'm into a 8800.00 dollar boat for 5800.00.

tpenfield

Staff member

Just a comment on the blown motor question. I did sell my last boat with a blown motor. I had actually taken the motor out of the boat, etc.

i sold it for about 60 % of the amount that I figured I could get for a fully operational boat. Or about 2x the cost of a replacement motor off of the price of a fully operational boat.

southkogs

Staff member

I find that the local Craigslist ads, Ebay and the classifieds are the best way to estimate what I can sell something for (car or boat really). A week or so of pawing through ads will help set a dollar figure that will sell.

As far as a blown motor - I would treat that like buyin' a hull. I might be willing to buy the hull, but I'm not paying for a drive that "might" someday work if I can figure out how to fix it. If I know the drive and feel that I can support and repair it, the needle will come up off of the "I'll get it off your property for you" line, but not by very much.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

May depend on location and boat style. Around here book prices don't mean a whole lot. If a person has a clean fishing boat, for example, it will usually sell for higher than book....

j_reed

Cadet

thanks for the insight and replies... it seems to me the book was 6500 for VERY good, 5500 for avg, not sure how I came up with 4500. if as someone had said reduce by 20 percent, I'm not far off. also, with the blown motor I assume around 1500 (1000 worse case), and yes it has a trailer in good condition. I have searched some online for prices, some people ask crazy figures for boats this old when they are in good condition. I find craigslist very hard to compare search because there is so much crap on there. thanks. again. -j

1995 searay BR195
mercruiser 4.3 2bl alpha gen II

I should have also mention that the boat is in massachusetts.

also, it sounds like dawg got a pretty nice boat for $5200

tpenfield

Staff member

Keep in mind that nobody buys the boats that are listed at carzy prices. The lower/lowest price ones sell, so long as they are in good condition. The high priced boats, and the ones in fair-poor condition generally stay on the market indefinitely.