Bolting a bow mount trolling motor

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm planning to install a bow mount trolling motor (Minn Kota Powerdrive V2) on my '94 Bayliner Capri 1850 LS. Now that I'm starting to look at things I realize it's going to be somewhat of a challenge.

The bow has fiberglass that comes down and does not give me access to attach a bolt with a washer and nut on the inside. How do I work around this? Can I use lag bolts instead of bolts with nuts? What options are there? I'm planning to use the Minn Kota quick release mount as well.

I know Bayliner made a model 1854 SF (Ski and Fish) in '94 and it came with a trolling motor. I'm pretty sure it's the same hull, I wonder how they got it done?

Anyhow, I'll try to get a picture of the bow posted soon. For now I just need to know about the bolts. If I don't have to use nuts on the bottom then I think I can figure the rest out.

Thanks!

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bolting a bow mount trolling motor

Here's some pictures so you can see what I'm dealing with.

IMGP3476Small.jpg

ResizeofIMGP3628.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Very simple -- you use what are called well nuts. These are rubber plugs that have a nut captured in the end. You drill a hole the size of the well nut, push it into the hole (a flange at the top prevents it from disappearing on you). You then position the plate or troller over the well nuts and insert the bolts. As the bolt tightens it expands the plug and you are done. They look like this and are available at larger hardware stores and you can get them at Cabelas, Bass Pro as a mounting kit.

WellNut.jpg

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very simple -- you use what are called well nuts. These are rubber plugs that have a nut captured in the end. You drill a hole the size of the well nut, push it into the hole (a flange at the top prevents it from disappearing on you). You then position the plate or troller over the well nuts and insert the bolts. As the bolt tightens it expands the plug and you are done. They look like this and are available at larger hardware stores and you can get them at Cabelas, Bass Pro as a mounting kit.

WellNut.jpg

Silvertip you are THE MAN!!! :D:D:D

This is exactly the info I needed. I can't tell you how relieved I am. I thought I was going to have serious issues figuring out how to mount a trolling motor to this boat. The project can proceed!

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked Cabelas and BPS and can't find the kits with a quick search.

I did however find the well nuts at www.mcmaster.com

Would be nice if I could find them at BPS since I have one about 5 miles from me.

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anyone know what size well nuts I will need.

I've drilled holes in other Bayliner bows before and if I remember correctly it was around 3/4" to 1" thick.

It looks like it's critical to use a well nut that's long enough.

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I've not used Minnkotas mounts but if they are rubber, they will likely work ok. I've used the well nuts from Cabelas on all three of my boats and I really like the vibration isolation they provide.

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I think I'll use the rubber ones as the Minn Kota ones look to be plastic and work differently. Thanks for the help!