Bogging 50hp Johnson

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello All, just purchased a 96 50hp johnson. The motor runs pretty good but seems to have a fuel issue or something. When on plain the motor will kind of speed up slow down speed up slow down. I believe this would be some how fuel related. The motor is vro injected but I have plugged that intake and simply mixed the gas. Is this a problem? I will be changing the plugs and fuel filter but not sure if this will recitify the issue. This motor replaced my 35 hp which had a smaller primer bulb. I have moved this to the new motor but wondering if it's to small or something. I did not notice the bulb collapsing or anything. When I had a quick look at primer bulbs they all seemed to be the same size. Could this be an issue? Not sure why this one is smaller. I was also going to get some "tuner" in it to clean out the deposits. Hoping the carb doesn't need to be cleaned or something. If anyone could provide any input or suggestions here I would appreciate it. Thanks!!!

PS: I also read some stuff about seafoam. Which do i get, deep creep or the gas treatment. Seems this may help. Just got off the phone with my mechanic and he said he is getting these calls left and right due to the ethanol in the gas causing things to gum up.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Bogging 50hp Johnson

mixxing your gas is not a problem as long as it is 50 to 1, the motor doesn't care how the oil gets in there as long as it is there and I usually put just a tiny bit extra just to be safe.

There is a fuel filter on the side of the engine too, look at that, where the gas line goes into the motor and make sure your gas tank is vented.

Only ever seen one size of gas hose and bulbs, pretty sure that isn't it.

Sea-foam and deep creep are the same thing, one is just in a spray can and I recommend you run some through although it won't make up for a good carb cleaning.
Do a search for "Decarb" and do that too along with the new plugs that about covers alll the free easy stuff.
Good luck.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks 5150abf!! The Marina carries Cabon Guard by Bombardier but I'm not sure that will do the same thing as spraying the valvtech into the carbs. I am going to be doing some more searching on decarb.

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The more I read the more I think I am going to put seafoam in the tank and use the OMC tuner. Seems to do the same thing as the valvtec de-carb but takes longer to soak. Sound good guys??