Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Blue Crabber

Ensign
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Some marinas have boom lifts for this type of thing. Does yours? Might be a safer way of doing it.

I would think a white light at the front of the boat would confuse most people at night. they would expect to see some distance between the red/green lights and the white light. They may not be able to determine which way you are going. Just some food for thought.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

the anchor light at the top of my mast is not working.
I think If I just and a light at the bottom of the stern, and one up front, you could still see a white light from every direction.

I really don't wanna climb to the top of that mast.

How about two lights mounted on the mast above the highest point of your cabin. That way it would be visable from 360* as long as you are anchored that would be the same as a light at the top. It would not be legal if you were sailing as the sails would obstruct the light, But I would think it would be legal if you were under power.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

How about two lights mounted on the mast above the highest point of your cabin. That way it would be visable from 360* as long as you are anchored that would be the same as a light at the top. It would not be legal if you were sailing as the sails would obstruct the light, But I would think it would be legal if you were under power.
I'm pretty sure there is a standard to boat navigational lighting that needs to be followed, but it does allow a little freedom of choice.

We were out on the Bay for the 3rd of July fireworks up at Northeast, rafted up with a few friends and family and I have to say, looking at all those people up on land and with their boats all tied up in their slips, they all had as good a view as I did, but there is something extra-special about being out on your boat away from land and watching the fireworks. Somebody here at work stated it very succinctly about people who's boats sit in their slips too much....."That's not Boating, that's just Floating". I thought that was pretty funny and worth sharing......

I also like the run home at night, if you wait until all the people have left and the water calms down, the Bay gets smooth as mirror-glass sometimes and all you can hear is the shushing of the water coming off your hull......it's a beautiful thing that most daylight only boaters never get to experience. Of course you have to be willing and able to boat at night, which a lot of people aren't comfortable with.....

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I also like the run home at night, if you wait until all the people have left and the water calms down, the Bay gets smooth as mirror-glass sometimes and all you can hear is the shushing of the water coming off your hull......it's a beautiful thing that most daylight only boaters never get to experience. Of course you have to be willing and able to boat at night, which a lot of people aren't comfortable with.....

That's a beautiful sentiment and I agree completely. I love the solitude of night boating. You do need to be extra careful about idiots boating at night without proper lighting.
An added bonus is that if you're far enough from shore there aren't many bugs.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

That's a beautiful sentiment and I agree completely. I love the solitude of night boating. You do need to be extra careful about idiots boating at night without proper lighting.
Thanks.... and the bug thing is sooo true..lol

reefrunner7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like my aft cruisair isn't so cold anymore might need a charge anybody know a mechanic in the northeast or elkton area to give me a charge?

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like my aft cruisair isn't so cold anymore might need a charge anybody know a mechanic in the northeast or elkton area to give me a charge?

Derek Grebinger, 717/575/3626 is a local mobile boat mechanic. If he can't help you I'm sure he knows someone local that can.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Agreed, I love being on the water at night!! Just need to be extra cautious and aware of everything around you.

And I would rather be out on the water then at the dock and I would rather be at the dock then at home :D

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Agreed, I love being on the water at night!! Just need to be extra cautious and aware of everything around you.

And I would rather be out on the water then at the dock and I would rather be at the dock then at home :D
Absolutely agree!! I only run at night as fast as I can see ahead of me, which at my age usually means under 15 mph or so on a good night. Unless the moon is out and full and the water is dead flat...then I can't resist planing off, it's just so cool. The only channel that gives me a little concern is the Northeast River channel when you have nothing but nuns and cans. I know the channel so going aground isn't an issue, but running even slow, those unlit markers can come up fast and unnervingly close sometimes.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I was out in the middle of the bay one day, and somewhere near the bush river, a million nats came swarming the boat. I mean it was crazy. the boat turned black with these little bugs. then maybe a mile later, they went away. it was weird, since we were a mile or so from land.

And as far as the lighting on my sailboat goes, I have white lights mounted below the sails, so even if the sails were up, you can see a white light from every direction.

but I read that saliboats are only supposed to run a white light in the back, while underway. They are not supposed to have a 360 white light on, while underway.

But that makes no sense to me, since powerboats fly a 360 white while underway. what is the difference? the white light on my stern is a 155 degree light i believe. I ran 2 leds into that light, instead of messing with bulbs. I bought these led's from advance auto, they are wires with an led on the end. pretty cool.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

And as far as the lighting on my sailboat goes, I have white lights mounted below the sails, so even if the sails were up, you can see a white light from every direction.

but I read that saliboats are only supposed to run a white light in the back, while underway. They are not supposed to have a 360 white light on, while underway.

But that makes no sense to me, since powerboats fly a 360 white while underway. what is the difference? the white light on my stern is a 155 degree light i believe. I ran 2 leds into that light, instead of messing with bulbs. I bought these led's from advance auto, they are wires with an led on the end. pretty cool.
http://nyss.com/federal#3G
Here is a link to the Federal guidelines for recreational boat lighting requirements, maybe it'll help clarify things for you.

The main reason for different types of vessels to run different navigational lights is to make it easier to identify vessel types at night, I believe. If you were running under sail your lighting is different than when you are running under power, even if you are a sailboat, I think.

Yea, I hang out there all the time. Have my boat docked in frog mortor creek, up in middle river.

i am usuall up there every other weekend me and the old lady we hang out at miami beach that a little beach right out side of sencia creek i think its called if your at heart miller island you can see two stacks just right of bowleys marina you cant mis me im a old 70s grady white outboard blue biminy top and it says "still floatin" on the side we meet there with a buddy we met jsut driving up and talking to people

but im always up for meeting new people to hang out with and i seen a beer thing in this post im ny experience you dont have to have beer everytime i shop up there are other boats saying hey want a beer lol really friendly people. only problem ive came across out on the water was comercial crabbers cause they thing they own the water and try to intimidate the residential crabbers. and then you start too much at the women on another boat!!!!!! lol but to my defence she took her top of so thats fair game. the guy operating toe boat got a little testy with me but when i pulled up to his boat and asked if there was a problem and stood up 6'2" 300 solid pounds he kinda rethought the situation and i simply said hey if there out in the open there are fair game to look at. and is she dosent want people looking she wouldnt have taken her top off. but I have to admidt i may have stared a little to much but i was 18 and the was nice !!!!! lol thats always a sore subject specially when alcohol is involved but yea i jsut started to hanng o ut on the middle rivver so if theres any one on here up that way let me know when your going to be there and well maybee get a chance to tie up and hang out for a few

see yall on the water

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i followed you for most of that story, kinda jumped around a litttle bit thou.

Yea, we will have to meet up sometime. I keep my boat at MD marina, on frog mortor creek.

DBreskin

see yall on the water

Silverado, welcome to iBoats.

Look on your keyboard, next to the letter "A". There's a key there labeled "Shift". If you can use it occasionally, as well as a few more periods, we'll have a much easier time reading your posts.

See ya on the water!

lol . sorry Guys I know where the caps button is. Im just forget to use it . I got a limited time to use it here, the darned smart phone has all kind of things that mess me up. I will put more effort to proof read before i post !!

pole position

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just got in from vacation on the boat.Stopped at Lloyds creek on sunday and on tuesday morning,the tree for the swing was being cut down.100_1389.jpg100_1383.jpg

DBreskin

What exactly happened? Let go of the rope too soon? Rope break?

Did a little searching and couldn't find any info.

Thanks,
Austin
The rope did not break. I think she let go too soon, or just couldn't hold on.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

What exactly happened? Let go of the rope too soon? Rope break?

Did a little searching and couldn't find any info.

Thanks,
Austin

I got the impression she fell off the platform before she started to swing. My daughter used the swing the week before the accident and said the scariest part was pulling the swing up to the platform.