Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

A great trip to Raystown lake. This has been the longest so far that I have hauled the boat but I am glad we did. Friday we had HUGE thunderstorms and hail. We bagged the tent and headed for a Dry Motel. A great inexpensive hotel if your not going to camp.

Huntingdon Motor Inn, Jct. Route 22 & 26, RD #1, Box 353, Huntingdon, PA 16652 (814) 643-1133

The lake was about 33 miles from one end to the other. Wow is it nice to be in fresh clear water that is deep. Almost every place we went it was over 90 feet deep. You can drive right up to shore and leave the motor down in the back it drops off fast. I kept the boat moored on shore every night near our camp ground. The lake was crowded memorial day but I expected that. Seven Points camp ground is a nice place to stay.

Make sure your tow vehicle is is good shape it will get a work out pulling that boat up those mountains.

Here is the Picture we were there!

raystownlake.jpg

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

We had a death in the family this past Sunday morning ,My wifes mother .She is being buried on Thursday. I sure wish we could have been at llyods creek this pasted weekend. I'm running about a month behind so far. I went to trade covers from the winter one to the summer one and broke the base of my stern light on my Bimity top. I'm going down tomorrow to see what I need to do. then this coming week I'm going to stock up the pontoon boat with all the safety gear.14 life jackets. I hide a camera in the woods to catch anyone who trys to take any of my gas. It's digital. I have to take the boat off of the trailer some time in the middle of the week to put those plastic covers on my bunks. Hows the water temp. in the upper bay.?

maxum2400sc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Whats up people. Its been a long time since ive been on here. Figured i'd drop in and say hi! Here are some pics from Monday with Caravellecaptain and skargo on the upper Bohemia.

Nick

249838_10150635283165147_504070146_18951009_2481337_n.jpg
250485_10150633991810147_504070146_18931663_5858782_n.jpg
254801_782747705478_31710405_39168576_400291_n.jpg
254520_10150635051390147_504070146_18947341_8018665_n.jpg

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

the marina is finally going to launch my sailboat!
I have been dying to get back out on the water.
I sold my powerboat, so now all i have is a 12 ft rowboat, and the sailboat.
But the marina was holding it hostage, because other boats were blocking it in.
But now i shouild be in the water by friday.

I think I am going to anchor it near the kayak ramp in HDG. So I don't hve to get a slip.
then row into the ramp.
I won't be using the boat too much anyway.
But this weekend I will be sailing her from chesapeke city over to hdg.

skargo

Banned

Wingnutt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi everybody,

Hopefully, I'll get to spend my time on the water this year instead of the bilge working on the 'ol gal. :p Like several others, I'm running about a month behind on getting the 'ol boat in the water. I'm hoping to splash her this weekend if the wind stays down and get a shakedown run in. Don't know if I'll get down to Lloyd's but I do need to burn some of that gas out, so if she's running right ya never know. :rolleyes: I'm hoping to put some faces to names this summer, so if ya see an old blue and white Bayliner cruiser with a blue bimini give a shout out for "Sundae Float". :D

skargo

Banned

http://tickets.piersixpavilion.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=106

I will be there tommoorw evening. Anyone elese going? I am going to be doing some grilling on the boat! I love going there and listening to concerts for free and cooking out. If you have not done this you really should before summer is over.

My wife got my tickets for STP there, it was the opening concert. My aunt works there too, she says when she dies she wants her ashes spread there hehehe.

03silvers

Seaman Apprentice

Going to hart miller island on Saturday. I'm sure 100 other boats have the same idea hahah

skargo

Banned

I'll be off the water for a few weeks. I need to replace my engine. I am thinking of a 383 stroker.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll be off the water for a few weeks. I need to replace my engine. I am thinking of a 383 stroker.

I'm sure you would win a few more of those "races" with that motor. Good luck, hope your back on the water again soon.

Billdc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has anybody been to the Nauti Goose this year? I'm not sure if I made it there last year, but the year before the food was not worth the trip. I've heard it changed hands last year and was not sure what happened over the winter. Just looking for a '11 food review.

skargo

Banned

Has anybody been to the Nauti Goose this year? I'm not sure if I made it there last year, but the year before the food was not worth the trip. I've heard it changed hands last year and was not sure what happened over the winter. Just looking for a '11 food review.

It changed hands 2 years ago. we go on a somewhat regular basis, even in the winter. We haven't had a bad meal there.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We were there a couple of weeks ago. The food was good; we had soup and salad bar. The Lobster bisque seemed thin at first but the flavor was good and there were chunks of lobster meat in it. The salad bar was well presented and included baby shrimp and cubed chicken.

We'd go again.

Silver Eagle

I saw a lot of grass hanging from a couple of boat trailers coming out at Elkview Shores yesterday. Thats above Stemmer's Run boat ramp across from Turkey Point Light House.

Silver Eagle

If everything goes as planned The Silver Eagle will be in the water this Saturday. So if you see a Diamond plated front on a 24ft Pontoon boat ,that's us. Hopefully Cabin John Cove and or LLoyds Creek.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

does anyone know when northeast fireworks are?

NeedaBiggerBoat

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Guys, My wife and I are looking to take a trip to Harvre De Grace MD and put in at the City Yacht Basin some time in the near future. I am about an hour away from the City Yacht Basin and live in Felton PA. I was interested in taking a trip to Fishing Battery Island. Unfortunately I don't have a traditional boat just a Seadoo PWC so I hope we can all get along as I am not a showoff or inconsiderate as the stereotype may lead many to believe. =o]

I have never been on the bay and would be greatfull of any information or tips you guys could give me. I will be using a GPS for navigating to and from the locations. Would it be a good idea to invest in a handheld VHF as well? I'm not sure but I doubt that there would be adequate or any cell coverage there.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to the forum!
I'd suggest you take a look at an area marine chart and plan your route. Use channel markers to navigate and pay particular attention to depths because there are many spots that are too shallow for any boat at low tide. I keep my boat at City Yacht Basin and watch people get stuck in the mud every day because they just see open water, not realizing it's only 6" deep.
Cell coverage these days is very good (with Verizon at least) but a VHF is always a good thing to have along.