Boating the Upper Chesapeake

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

My rectifier went bad on my motor once, out above the damn, and I drained the batery by trolling on it. So by 7 pm, I could not start the motor, and could not pull start it.

So I called the fire company. Water Winch came out in a pontoon boat, and gave me a jump. But the motor died after I took off, since it had no rectifer. I had launched at glen cove, and drove up to peach bottom. So they towed me to the peach bottom ramp, and gave me a ride in their boat back to my truck.

Then I drove up to peach bottom to get the boat.
I never would have thought of doing that, I thought they would have to tow my boat all the way back.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

My rectifier went bad on my motor once, out above the damn, and I drained the batery by trolling on it. So by 7 pm, I could not start the motor, and could not pull start it.

So I called the fire company. Water Winch came out in a pontoon boat, and gave me a jump. But the motor died after I took off, since it had no rectifer..

Yet another benefit to having a sailboat....don't have to worry about the motor not starting any more.....

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got my circulating pump installed last night. Fired up, sounds good and no leaks. Of course, look at the weather.:mad:

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd also like to know what BoatUS charged.. I went with Erie Insurance since all of my insurance policies are with them. I'd have to pay BoatUS up front and then they'll reimburse me. The policy cost less then BoatUS and had more coverage - the bummer is I have to pay upfront. The other thing I wonder is do they accept credit cards when they come out to help you?

skargo

Banned

I'd also like to know what BoatUS charged.. I went with Erie Insurance since all of my insurance policies are with them. I'd have to pay BoatUS up front and then they'll reimburse me. The policy cost less then BoatUS and had more coverage - the bummer is I have to pay upfront. The other thing I wonder is do they accept credit cards when they come out to help you?

I actually have BoatUS insurance since no one else would do an agreed value on my 32 year old boat. I was just curious what it would cost if I didn't have them...

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I can tell you one thing- it ain't cheap!! Their clock starts when they leave the dock.

Back when I was a Chesapeake noob, we had an outdrive failure about 2 miles southeast of Turkey point. At the time I didn't have towing insurance but called TowBoat/US anyway.
They were very professional and towed us to our trailer at Rogues Harbor (Elk Neck State Park) which was ony 4 miles from our breakdown. I was more than a little shocked when the bill was $340. Keep in mind, this was back in 1986 or 87. I'm sure the same tow would be double (or triple) these days!
Ever since, I've had TowBoat/US on-water towing insurance. It covers any boat I'm operating, even if I don't own it. I consider it cheap at $135/ year.
BTW- this insurance is completely different from regular hull/liability insurance. My 'regular' insurance for the boats is thru State Farm. They don't offer towing insurance for boats.

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My quote from BoatUS was $250 for all of the insurance coverages and included $250 towards towing, so I'm not sure what the unlimited towing would have added. My policy with Erie is $150 for the year and will reimburse me $500 toward towing on the water and $300 toward towing on the road, so it turned out to be a better deal for me.

skargo

Banned

I have on water towing, AND my regular insurance through BoatUS just to be clear, cheap peace of mind!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i never would have thought boat insurance was so cheap. i got it for 110 a year!
i thought it would be as expensive as car insurance.

btw, the fire company towed for free.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For all of you who are asking about the "uninsured" Boats US towing fee: the cost is about $200/hour dock-to-dock depending on location; that's from the time the towboat leaves it's dock to the time the towboat returns to it's dock.

I took a cautious approach to my first outing with my new-to-me boat this year and bought the unlimited towing plan the day before I went out. God thing, since the drive seized and I had to be towed back to the ramp. The insurance cost me $125. All I had to do was show my card to the towboat and sign the form, there was no out-of-pocket payment. I got a statement a week later showing the uninsured rate would have been $400!

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

For all of you who are asking about the "uninsured" Boats US towing fee: the cost is about $200/hour dock-to-dock depending on location; that's from the time the towboat leaves it's dock to the time the towboat returns to it's dock.

I took a cautious approach to my first outing with my new-to-me boat this year and bought the unlimited towing plan the day before I went out. God thing, since the drive seized and I had to be towed back to the ramp. The insurance cost me $125. All I had to do was show my card to the towboat and sign the form, there was no out-of-pocket payment. I got a statement a week later showing the uninsured rate would have been $400!

no doupt,
I payed around 190 I think I have the gold plan w/trailer assist. I get to the bay about 3 times a year i mostly stay in the susquahanna. I think its well worth it worry free if your towing your boat or on the water..
Denny

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

As far as boat insurance I have mine taged on to my home insurance co.. $50 extra bucks a year $200,000 property liability $1,000,000 injury/ $500.00 deductble, the only thing is damage to my boat is not covered,but that is not a big issue to me, Im more worried about taking care of the other guy and not getting my but sued off
Denny

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have my insurance from Boat US .I had State Farm on my last boat but the didn't cover all that Boat US does. Like $700,000.00 spill coverage. If I hit or get hit and fuel goes into the water I'm covered.State Farm didn't even know what I was talking about. And the cost is about the same .The deductiable is also a lot better .They cover lost or stolen fishing gear or equipment. $50 .00 deductiable. The trailer is also covered. 24 ft pontoon boat ,90 hp Merc engine and trailer $150.00 per year.

skargo

Banned

I have my insurance from Boat US .I had State Farm on my last boat but the didn't cover all that Boat US does. Like $700,000.00 spill coverage. If I hit or get hit and fuel goes into the water I'm covered.State Farm didn't even know what I was talking about. And the cost is about the same .The deductiable is also a lot better .They cover lost or stolen fishing gear or equipment. $50 .00 deductiable. The trailer is also covered. 24 ft pontoon boat ,90 hp Merc engine and trailer $150.00 per year.

Agreed, although the BoatUS covers you for $800K! ;)

Plus I want my boat repaired or replaced, in addition to liability.

skargo

Banned

Who's going out next Monday, memorial day? We are.

NoThanksDad

Seaman Apprentice

We'll be out Wednesday (Blue Angles) and then Friday - Monday with the kiddos.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

when do you typically start swiming in the water?

I remember having to wait till mid june till it got warm.
water temp was 68 today

Damifudo

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMG_5082.jpg

I think after the 90 degree days comming later this week the water will warm up and be ready for skiing and tubing this weekend. I went this weekend to the Bass Pro and met people from the power boat squadren. I would like to take the safe boaters course in the next few weeks. Is there anyone eles thinking about taking it this season? It would be more fun to take it with others from here. I need my daughter to take it also so she can pull me on water skis and tubes.

skargo

Banned

Great pic Damifudo!

I am going in the water this weekend. It was 70 degrees last week at the head of the North East river.