Boating the Upper Chesapeake

skargo

Banned
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

And wear his mickey mouse ears.

How did I miss this? You can thank my wife. Don't I look pleased?

24158_10150149519450652_554955651_11365351_4933524_n.jpg

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

a 19 inch pitch prop seems a little small for that size engine. My 70 hp engine came with a 19 on it, but i changed it to a 15.

skargo

Banned

a 19 inch pitch prop seems a little small for that size engine. My 70 hp engine came with a 19 on it, but i changed it to a 15.
I have a 19p on my boat too Kyle, I think it is more than about just HP for determining pitch.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

my engine must have higher gear ratios in the lower unit.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are many different factors that determine the pitch you need to run such as prop diameter, hp, weight of the boat, and desired WOT rpm.

If you were running a 19 pitch your 70 hp outboard it would most likely have been like a 13 1/2" diameter. I know it wouldn't fit the motor but for example if you tried to run a 15 1/4" prop at the same pitch the motor would't want to do it.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

There are many different factors that determine the pitch you need to run such as prop diameter, hp, weight of the boat, and desired WOT rpm.

If you were running a 19 pitch your 70 hp outboard it would most likely have been like a 13 1/2" diameter. I know it wouldn't fit the motor but for example if you tried to run a 15 1/4" prop at the same pitch the motor would't want to do it.
Very good info Capt. Hook...you're gonna fit in nicely here.....well spoken too. I'm impressed.....not that that means much...lol

skargo

Banned

Sonofa...it's supposed to get down to 23? tomorrow night, and perhaps some snow! WTF, it was 70?, and I started my boat up last weekend. Thank goodness for closed cooling, but I will still have to drain some water from the raw side, just in case.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

If your boat was in the water you wouldn't have to worry about it Scott!
I had some spare time today and was able to get both engines and the HVAC system up and running on "Winter Dream". The marina just got fresh gas yesterday, too.
The season's going to start early for me this year. It makes up for my LATE start last spring!

skargo

Banned

If your boat was in the water you wouldn't have to worry about it Scott!
I had some spare time today and was able to get both engines and the HVAC system up and running on "Winter Dream". The marina just got fresh gas yesterday, too.
The season's going to start early for me this year. It makes up for my LATE start last spring!

I hear ya, but then I'd have to put bottom paint on her for the first time in her life!

I'm glad you are starting early! If you ever come down during the week for a shakedown run, give me a call, I'm sure the boss could be bribed into fiving me some personal time :D

I hear ya, but then I'd have to put bottom paint on her for the first time in her life!

I'm glad you are starting early! If you ever come down during the week for a shakedown run, give me a call, I'm sure the boss could be bribed into fiving me some personal time :D

Is bottom paint something I should look into?? I don't know much about bottom paint and haven't heard too many people in this thread mention it so I never looked into getting it..

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Great news Rob!! Glad to hear that everything is off to a good start.

skargo

Banned

Is bottom paint something I should look into?? I don't know much about bottom paint and haven't heard too many people in this thread mention it so I never looked into getting it..

If she's in the water all season, you need it. If it's in dry storage or on a trailer it's not.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am pretty sure freezing is over. I wouldn't worry about draining anything!!! It is not going near 23 degrees anywhere on the chesapeake.

Or at least I really hope not. I just turned to water on and got the beach house up and running this week.

skargo

Banned

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

So rob, do you have to winterize you engines? Would you if it was out of the water? If you have closed cooling then you don't have to winterize?

Btw, It was sleeting at 10 AM today (friday). And i think I saw a few snow flakes mixed in. But the water temp is 53, so that may help keep temps above freezing at the marina.

But the forecast is for 24 tonight.

skargo

Banned

Closed cooling is super easy to winterize, just drain the raw side. In fact, and I know it's frowned on here, but I might just stick a portable heather in my bilge tonight.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never said you were a liar......I am just really hopefull that all of the winter weather is done and gone!!!!

The forecast for me in the Crystal Beach/Earleville area does say low of 29 tonight. I really don't think it is going to stay that low long enough for any problems.

At least again, I hope not!!!

arks

Lieutenant Commander

So rob, do you have to winterize you engines? Would you if it was out of the water? If you have closed cooling then you don't have to winterize?

Yes I have closed cooling and winterize every year- in or out of the water. The engines are too expensive to take the chance.
With the hull in the water, the engines are much less likely to freeze because the water acts as insulation. Out of the water, any cold air will surround the hull and make it as cold
as the air.

Scott- What about the water trapped in your outdrive? You might want to run some pink thru.