Boating the Upper Chesapeake

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boating the Upper Chesapeake

Hopefully somewhere around the same time for us too. Although, I hope to be getting it ready to sell and get that Wellcraft I was looking at last year!

Was thinking about that over the weekend and was wondering what was going on. I hope it works out.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

There's a twin to Scott's boat for sale up here. I thought it was neat. Here's the ad: http://allentown.craigslist.org/boa/1622145355.html

Did you say you wanted twins, Scott?

Anyway, my boat comes out of storage on April 10th, I won't be on the water before then, obviously. However, if someone doesn't mind a passenger.......I'll be glad to play tour guide for a day....or two.:)
I'm also good as a lookout, anchor dropperer and lifterer, etc....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That one's been for sale for a while. I think I sent it scott a month or two ago. Price doesn't seem too out of line unless he's firm on it.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

That one's been for sale for a while. I think I sent it scott a month or two ago. Price doesn't seem too out of line unless he's firm on it.
Yeah, it has been on a while, I haven't looked at it, but's it's close by so if anyone is interested, I could take a first look for them....let them know if it's even worth looking at.

skargo

Banned

I notice he has a silver stripe between the blue and white, other than that and the bowrail, they look the same!

I paid less for mine, and I'd bet it's in better shape too, just going off of the very attentive previous, original owner.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I e-mailed that guy when it first came up on Craigslist. He told me it that "all it needs" are exhaust manifolds and a starter.
Yeah, sure. For 4500 clams it oughta be pristine- like Skargo's!

skargo

Banned

I e-mailed that guy when it first came up on Craigslist. He told me it that "all it needs" are exhaust manifolds and a starter.
Yeah, sure. For 4500 clams it oughta be pristine- like Skargo's!

Does it have closed cooling? Are you looking for another Nova? Thanks for the compliment on Twice As Nice ;)

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Awesome, so the deal is still a go? We'll have to start a Wellcraft chapter :D

Was thinking about that over the weekend and was wondering what was going on. I hope it works out.

Thanks guys. Hoping to get it all wrapped up as soon as the weather stays nice enough to not have to worry about winterizing again after a test ride. Mid April!!!

* Keeps fingers crossed *

See you guys on the water soon!

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Does it have closed cooling? Are you looking for another Nova? Thanks for the compliment on Twice As Nice ;)

Don't know about closed cooling- I didn't get that far in discussion.

I'm ALWAYS on my toes for another Nova. The hard part will be if I find one I like- it'll be really hard to justify the purchase because I'm not ready to sell "Winter Dream" yet.

Twice As Nice is VERY worthy of the compliment.
Now you've got the 'burden' of continuing it's excellent care! :D

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

rob,
how do you like having the big boat, compared to something like scotts boat, that is faster and more manuverable?
I guess you still have that lowe with the evinrude on it, when you and to drive something small.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I love the big boat for what it is (a comfortable floating condo with a view) but yeah, I do miss the ability to blast down to places like Stillpond in 30 minutes. The same trip in "Winter Dream" would take 2 - 3 hours. That Nova was almost the perfect boat for this area- big enough to sleep in and handle the 'Chesapeake Chop', but small enough to trailer and dock easily. I could run it hard all day for 50-60 bucks in gas. I owned mine for 18 years.
We did take a couple extended cruises with the Silverton the first 2 years, but they proved very expensive. Our trip to Cape May in 2005 burned $600 in fuel. We can drive a car there and back for $40 for cryin' out loud! While it was a pleasant experience, it just doesn't make economic sense to run a big boat that far for vacation IMO.
As far as the little jonboat, it allows me to run around the calmer (and shallower) areas of the upper bay. It's no speed demon but I find it lots of fun. It's a different kind of boat.

After 28 years on the Chesapeake, I guess the only way I'll be completely happy is with a little boat, a mid-size cuddy, and a big, honkin' cruiser! :D
DAMN this is an expensive hobby!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

lol, yea, throw a few of those boats my way while your at it.
what kinda of range does winter dream have? how much fuel can you hold? like could you take ti out in the open ocean?

A dream of mine was to go explore desert islands in the ocean. or even dive ship wrecks off ocean city.
you would really need a sail boat for that. something where you can be self suffient for weeks, away from land.

P.S. i was real nice to go into your "condo" at that raft-up. It was like, "am i still on a boat?"

skargo

Banned

lol, yea, throw a few of those boats my way while your at it.
what kinda of range does winter dream have? how much fuel can you hold? like could you take ti out in the open ocean?

A dream of mine was to go explore desert islands in the ocean. or even dive ship wrecks off ocean city.
you would really need a sail boat for that. something where you can be self suffient for weeks, away from land.

P.S. i was real nice to go into your "condo" at that raft-up. It was like, "am i still on a boat?"

I thought the same, it was nice to have a floatel at our raft up!

arks

Lieutenant Commander

It has twin 150 gallon tanks. She runs 18 MPH at 2600 RPM and burns 18-20 gallons per hour, so she's got a useable range of 140 miles.
Silvertons are considered 'near-coastal' cruisers, which means they're suitable for ocean use in good weather. They aren't built to take the punishment of a true bluewater machine like a Hatteras or Ocean yacht.
When I brought her up from Southport NC in 2004 I was tempted to run offshore but, since the boat was new to me, I wanted to be close to services if a problem came up (none did, TG).

Big sailing yachts are the way to go for total self-sufficiency, but there are some great motorsailors that give you benefits of both power and sail. For me, a big power cat would be ideal. They have incredible space and sip fuel.
If you want to experience the cruising lifestyle without buying a big boat, chartering is the way to go. Island-hopping in the Virgins is popular. Come on, who WOULDN'T want to do this? Here's an example:
http://www.escape-bvi.com/PowerCharters.aspx

skargo

Banned

Just a heads up. Last year I bought the 2008 Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay for $7, as it was a year out of date. They are $40 for the brand new ones.
I just purchased the 2009 version for $5.65 NEW from Amazon.

I'll pass my 2008 guide on to one of my lucky, Upper Chesapeake friends when I see you guys next ;)

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i kinda wanna learn how to sail. so i could get a decent sized sail boat, and then i could really go anywhere i want. just need food and water on board.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Arks, I'm laughing, you sound just like me. I started out with a 17' Rinker that I restored that had a 85 horse Evinrude on the back...reliable as all get out....we even took it to the fireworks a couple of years....but as is always the case...had to get bigger, soo the 21' wellcraft bowrider with a 4.3 I/O.....ran that for a couple of years and then wanted something we could run down the Bay faster and more comfortably so we bought the Nova III.....only....now it costs a hell of a lot more to ski,tube and wakeboard. (Oh, you haven't really done any of those things until you've done them behind my boat). Soo now I'm looking for a 17-19' runabout with an outboard to fish and ski with the kids....had a 16' Checkmate with a 150 hp outboard but that was a little small by the time you got all the crap on board.......

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

One way to solve everyone's problem would be to create a boat co-op. Everyone has a different size boat and swap around.:D