Boating Salvage database? Windshields?

bstarved

Cadet
I posted on 4/16 regarding my 2000 FourWinns horizon 180
my windshield was destroyed
some history: FourWinns refered me to Taylor-Made
I contacted Taylor -Made's Indiana Plant and New York Corporate office
both informed me that they do not make this windshield any longer.
someone here suggested the Iboats windshield replacement link
which I called, only to be refered to Taylor-Made Systems, albeit different
from Taylor-Made, under the same company umbrella.
once again i was informed that it is not possible to match this windshield
through Taylor-Made systems(because it is a curved windshield with an unusual wing,mounted on an uneven windshield deck)
I contacted FourWinns in Michigan and they mentioned possibly WaterBonnet in Fla has a replacement as they were the original manufacturer before
Taylor Made, I called WaterBonnet and although I havent recieved a callback yet, I'm discouraged as WaterBonnets voicemail system answers as "Waterbonnet- A Division Of Taylor Made Systems"
which brings me to my question for the people in the know here
Is there a national database for salvage boats and parts that I can access
there must be a 2000 FourWinns horizon 180 out there somewhere that has major damage to the hull/structure that makes the windshield on that boat useless to its owner/boatyard.
I'm pretty dismayed at FourWinns customer service, they are indifferent about this, on a boat just 8yrs old, they're kind of like "Oh Well"
sucky customer support IMHO
keep that in mind before you drop 14k for a new boat
any suggestions, help greatly appreciated

bhammer

Ensign
Re: Boating Salvage database? Windshields?

Sounds like you are in a tough situation. This doesn't answer your original question but may give you more ideas. Several years ago, I had to work directly with a glass maker to make a custom peice of glass. It cost about three times as much as a normal peice would. This was not for a boat, but it did have some serious compund curves in it and weighed in just over 150 Lbs. I was able to use some existing track material to mount the glass in. I found the glass place through a yacht yard that did custom interiors. Go figure....

If you go that route, might buy a couple extra. ;)

You might want to look into an acrylic one as well as there are places that can do custom molds for them. It wont last as long but may be cheaper.

I hope this helps.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the problem being, is that it is safety glass, that has to be molded, not just heated and bent. it is too costly for the plants to keep old molds. and the cost would be astronomical, for them the do a single set up, if they even had the mold.

i wish there was a national registry, like auto parts. but in all my years i have never found one.

if you have the frame, and it is intact, you can have a lexan panel made.

http://www.marconlq.biz/

boatnbuddy

Recruit

try calling shane at lanier marine liquidators. (770) -888-boat. This is a large boat salvage co.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

There are companies out there who do this type of work, typically for the street rod -custom type crowd, and for restorations where the stock glass is NLA. They can fabricate any type of windshield or window in any shape.
I have a good friend who works for such a auto restoration/custom business
(Pebble Beach concours type cars).
I phoned him to see who they use....it's http://www.procurveglass.com/

BTW, this is another one of the many reasons to have full coverage insurance on a boat .....this repair is NOT cheap.

bhammer

Ensign

The ones I had done were heat treated and tempered. It was 3 ply laminate so it wouldn't break. We did this for a custom rail car that was to be set up on display. We would have gone with lexan or some other acrylic but it wouldn't hold up to the rubs and bumps it was going to get over the year. I wish I had pictures but cannot find them.

I don't remeber the cost but think it was right around a grand. But again, it was a huge peice of glass, about 3 times the amount you would have for your boat. I know it is possible to do, just a thought if you go with glass. Acrylic might be a viable option and you could always apply the clear (UV) tint to protect it.

texomatom

Seaman

Was your entire windshield destroyed?
I have a 98 VIP with a broken starboard side windshield. I think we're looking for the same part(s):
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/texomatom/Boat Pictures/
I've spent the entire off season trying to locate a replacement. I just shipped my frame to an acrylic supply and manufacturing company for fabrication of a replacment. I found the glass on several boats. But we're trying to find parts off of boats that are still usable - not salvagable. It is frustrating .... I have one last hope and if it doesn't pan out, I'm going with plexi-glass or acrylic.
Good luck.....
Tom

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is going to be a pretty common boat, I'd keep digging in terms of salvage.
The alternative is a custom made deal or adapting one that you can get your hands on at a reasonable price.

I've had similar problems with a Glastron - the companies that build the parts (in my case cuddy cabin rollers) - they don't want to sell directly, Glastron won't support a boat more than 5-6 years old, no one wants to play nice.

The industry solution is to buy a new boat at least every 5 years...

bstarved

Cadet

Update:
texmatom: I think our windshields are identical,dont know if they share the same taylor made part number though
i've found a place in Miami called Ocean Dynamics they said they can make 3/16 tempered glass for the corners(windshield) and walk-thru, they said that they can make curved acylic panels for the wings. I emailed them pics of my bent frame and they say they can straighten it
search for this company and send them your photobucket pics, they called me back the next day, the wings are the most expensive parts to replace. I think the guy said the corner pieces were $200 per pane tempered.plus shipping obviously.
I'm still checking all over the internet and salvage yards,I'd like to find an original replacement

bekosh

Lieutenant

Try greatlakesskipper.com aka kendormarine.com, they have a pretty good selection of OEM parts. They are in Franklin WI.

texomatom

Seaman

bstarved,

Are you in need of the entire assembly?
I ask because I may have found a Manta Ray boat that is being parted out. I haven't verified yet, but I believe it has the same windshield. I only need the front, starboard windshied. If you need any other part of it, I'd be glad to put you in touch with the seller.
Let me know....
Tom

texomatom

Seaman
Update for bstarved - found one!

Update for bstarved - found one!

bstarved,

I have located a replacment water bonnet windshield for my VIP. I only need the starboard, front. Do you need the port side?

Tom