Boating now illegal!!!

crunch

Commander
Re: Boating now illegal!!!

This judge probably owns water front property but not a boat... can't stand the noise or doesn’t want his view disturbed

Can't see any of the cops around here trying to enforce that ruling... most of them own boats like 90% of everyone else around here 8)

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

We have the ight to bear arms, right? And we have the right to use them, right?

Just kidding.

When it says other navicable waterways across the US which rivers are being included?

rwise

Captain

well looks like I'll be breaken the law this weekend! So if it's now illegal to boat/fish/etc why tag 'em, whats next we can't drive on the interstate because it belongs to the military? Hang him high!:/

Ron G

Commander

i'll be breaking the law every weekend for the next month,saturday i'll be flipping docksd:)in a creek armd:)

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

This is a call to arms my boating brothers!

It is time to write every elected official in your state. I can not believe that this guy came to this opinion. I will gladly be arrested for fishing my local waterway just to bring this to public light. I do not live very far from the Mighty Mississip, and will start fishing there with signs all over my boat indicated I am breaking the laws of our great nation!
Oh there goes the BP again
110500.gif

D

DJ

I think the judge is protecting the rights of waterfront landowners. Going overboard (pun intended) yes, However, I think he is trying to protect land owners from discourteous boaters that may use the law to use a landowners property.

Also, Louisiana is under the Napolianic Code of law. They are unique, in that aspect. NC law is not always accepted, federally.

tommays

Admiral

The wealthy have been passing laws aroung here for a long time to keep you from anchoring in areas they dont want the common folk :)

Tommays

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I'm with danpemby. At the first sign of attempted enforcement let's mobilize the nation's fleet and have a mass float-in demonstration.

In my state, before the "honorable" Robert "Jesse" James got hold of it, public waters include any river stream creek whatever with with at least x (can't remember exactly maybe half mile) consecutive distance of 15 ft width between the normal hi-water bank, even if its dry at the time. Including the water around and under private boat docks or piers. Although in some cases municipalities can enforce ordinances regarding lakes that fall within their jurisdiction.

With some exceptions for waters flowing through properties that were deeded by the Spanish government when it (that particular parcel) was a possession of Spain. Water flowing through land deeded by the governments of France, Mexico, United States, the State of Texas, or the Republic of Texas are public waters.

D

DJ

"Mobilize". Get serious. We can't get 50% of the eligible voters, in this country, to vote for, or against, anything.

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

Response from my State Senator, The question I posed was "Who should I contact to make sure this type of law is opposed?"

Besides contacting me, you should contact your state representative,
Governor, and US congress people and make them aware of this and share your
concerns.

With the little bit of information you gave me, I would be happy to oppose
this if we see it in Missouri.

Thanks for writing.

Senator Kevin Engler

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

"Mobilize". Get serious. We can't get 50% of the eligible voters, in this country, to vote for, or against, anything.
Because we are dealing with politics. Im sure 50% of the people here either own boats, want to own boats, have freinds that own boats that they use or just like boats in general. Plus, most people that dont, wouldn't really care so they wouldn't waste their time voting against that.
Weve got a winning battle here.

D

DJ

Weve got a winning battle here.

Maybe so, yet firing off e-mails does nothing.

If you want results, use your printer and buy a stamp. Want even better results? Send it registered-signature required. That effort is very difficult for politicians to ignore. Those efforts prove you are serious.

E-mails are too easily-DELETED.

crunch

Commander

Here is what Fedreal law says about who owns what:

"There are two separate legal doctrines under which (name your State) gained ownership of waterway lands at statehood: one is called "navigability," the other is called "tidality." Under the Equal Footing Doctrine, federal courts have held that states entering the Union have the same rights as did the original thirteen states. When the original thirteen states took sovereignty of their land from the British after the American Revolution, those states became owners of the land underlying what are termed "navigable" waters as well as the land underlying tidal waters. Therefore, when (name your State) was admitted to the Union in (year), it became the owner of all land underlying both the navigable waterways and tidal waters within its borders as a part of its sovereignty. To date, public ownership based on navigability has been more uncertain and controversial than public ownership based on tidality."

Tests for "NAVIGABLE WATERS:

Federal court decisions have developed the following test to determine whether a waterway is "navigable" for "title" (that is, public ownership) purposes. The elements of the test are whether the waterway:
At the time of (name your State) statehood in (year of Statehood);
Was used or was susceptible to being used;
In its natural and ordinary condition;
As a highway of commerce;
Over which trade and travel were, or could have been conducted;
By a mode of trade and travel on water that was customary in (year of Statehood).
The federal courts have examined numerous waterways in the United States. Those cases outline some of the ways that a waterway may meet the criteria of the test. For instance, a waterway may be proven to have been navigable-in-fact by evidence of the actual use at the time of a state's adminission to the Union, or by evidence that the waterway was susceptible to use at that time, or evidence of both actual use and susceptibility to use then.

"Susceptible of being used" is an issue of capability (a focus on the characteristics of the waterway), and not one of probability (not a focus on the likelihood of whether it was or will be used). The federal courts have long held that the possibilities of growth and future use are not to be ignored when determining whether a waterway belongs to a state. This is particularly true where, as in (name your State), pioneer settlement did not occur in much of the state until after statehood. The question is one of fact as to the capacity of the waterway in its ordinary condition to meet the needs of commerce into the future, as populations and activities increase and natural resources are developed.

The test does not require the use of any particular mode of trade or travel, nor does it depend on the use of any particular type of vessel as long as they were "customary" - in this case in (year) at the time of (your States) statehood. Log drives may be one such mode of travel in a region. Such drives may be done with difficulty. However, the waterway should be able to facilitate such a use on more than an occasional basis for that purpose. Canoes may be one such type of vessel in a region. The use of the vessel on the waterway may be difficult and it need not be extensive.

The courts have held that the use need not be long and continuous, and may be of a seasonal nature. Recreation and fishing are considered by the courts to be forms of commerce. A waterway will not fail the test simply because the region was not explored or settled before statehood. A waterway will also not fail the test if there are no federal land survey riverside meander lines. These lines were used by the federal government in calculating the price that must be paid for the upland by the grantee of a federal land patent.

The federal courts have also addressed the types of factual information or evidence that is, or is not, important for the test. Evidence regarding the waterway's susceptibility of being used is most often emphasized when there is little or no evidence that the waterway was actually used. Evidence of actual use is sometimes more persuasive, partly because it is the easiest to present and interpret, but it is not essential. Particularly where conditions of exploration and settlement explain the infrequency or limited nature of actual uses of the waterway, the susceptibility to use may still be satisfactorily proved. That susceptibility--capacity--may be shown by physical characteristics and experimentation.

Evidence of current use by drift boats, rafts, canoes, kayaks and other recreational watercraft is persuasive where it is also demonstrated that vessels that were used at the time of statehood required similar depths of water, or that similar modes of travel were customary at that time. Evidence of historical flow rates and channel conditions are important to prove that the physical characteristics of the waterway have not changed appreciably since statehood.

If you skipped most of the above (shame on you... what will you have to say?) at least read the last paragraph... kindda iffy on the Missippi.

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

In 1664 the colony of Massachusetts enacted laws which affirmed the rights to 'fish and fowl' i.e. fishing and bird hunting. Colonial laws like these are still considered valid precedent-setters for state law. These particular laws were used about 15 years ago as the basis by the now-state to repeal a number of local ordinances being enforced which banned duck hunting within 1000 yards of their community. Would be interesting to know how laws like these enacted by the original colonies before 1787 applied to federal cases, particularly to moronic rulings like this one.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

ZmOz said:
Yep, that's exactly what I'm doing on the river. Can you imagine paying all those bucks for riverfront property and then having me show up with permits? :^ d:)

Yes I can.
I can also imagine that your boat my drift away and sink some dark night. :%

ZmOz

Captain

roscoe said:
Yes I can.
I can also imagine that your boat my drift away and sink some dark night. :%

That's what flood lights and cameras are for.d:)

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

Naa, Flood lights and cameras are for Skinny Dippers. Nightvision and 30-06 are what your needing. :devil: