Boating in Florida

thunder219

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to Jacksonville Fl. in a week or so and was wandering what I need as far as any permits for the water and a specific license. I have a boaters ed card from Indiana. I think we are going to go on St. Johns river. I also have never had my boat on salt water so I don't know if its worth taking with a painted trailer. I know it will only be a few days and I will wash it down every time, just don't know how much damage it will do. Thank you for any help.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boating in Florida

Non resident fresh water one year license for this year is $47.50 and if i remember right a seven day permit was like $35.00. Non resident Salt water for three day is $17.50 i don't know what a year salt water is. If your taking your boat and stay in fresh water you wont need any thing different that what we need in Ohio and Indiana. I believe If you go to salt water you will need ship to shore radio flairs and the rest of your standard equipment.

Make sure you check the local limit regulations. And obey the Manatee no wake zones on the river. They are enforced strictly. Also the river is channel marked so pay attention to the markers. I only say that encase your not familiar with river markings. Just remember RED ON RIGHT WHEN RETURNING UP RIVER. GREEN ON RIGHT WHEN TRAVELING DOWN RIVER.

Also some of the biggest gaiters Ive ever seen where in that river so i would stay in the boat.

TilliamWe

Banned

If you really do launch in the salty part of the St. Johns, you won't do any damage if you wash the trailer down. Try to wash it down right after you launch the boat, don't let it sit there with the salt on it.
St. Johns River is a great place to go boating. Hontoon Island State Park, Silver Glen are both worth checking out.
Just remember, unlike most rivers you are probably familiar with, the St. John's flows north, toward Jacksonville and the Atlantic Ocean.
As far as the gators, I wouldn't worry about them in the heat of the day. But toward dusk and near dawn, don't be around the riverbanks!

thunder219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. I am just going to down to see some friends and maybe hang out on the water. I wont be doing any fishing while I am there. I think it was Sarasota where I rented jet skis and I remember all the manatee areas. I know I need to get flares because mine are now expired but as far as a radio, will a hand held work since I will be in the river only?
As far as the trailer, do most ramps have a wash down area? I can give it a good wash when I get out of the water at my friends but leaving the trailer sit with salt all day is what makes me nervous. I live in Indiana and know what the salt on the road does to my truck so I can imagine being submerged in it.

bustermin

Banned

some of the ramps provide a fresh water rinse area while others do not. as far as your trailer goes you should check your wiring really good, once the salt hits it you may not have working lights. i just bought a set of "submersable" lights took it out one time and even after washing it really well the next day the light bulb sockets were rusted so bad i couldnt get the bulbs out, and one light wasnt working. i now have led lights and they seem to be working ok so far, but i made sure there was no place for water to get to the wiring. i normally go in the salt water to boat or fish but when im done i go to a fresh water ramp and back down the ramp as if im going to launch and start the motor and let it run for about 15-20 mins. this rinses the trailer and the motor for me and then when i get home i usually wash the boat and trailer again but it helps give me a little extra time in case somthing happens and i cant get to it right away when i get home. obviously this is done at a ramp when it is not busy. good luck

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

You don't need a license of any kind if your not fishing, if you were it's not the water type your fishing in it's the species you catch.

I haven't seen any hoses at public ramps just at marinas and private ramps.

If your that worried about it maybe bring a five gallon bucket with some soapy water in it and a deck brush and give your trailer a quick bath after unloading.

The painted trailer is all I'd worry about.

Also you don't need any special equipment just what you should have for that size boat.

thunder219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again. After reading the salt water post I decided its worth taking the boat with me. My trailer does not have any exposed wiring and has leds already in it, and I think that I will just do the bucket of water thing after launching the boat.
So I do not need any kind of radio for the river then? I have looked and haven't found anything about that. Because if I have to have one I am running out of time to get it mounted and ready to go.

bustermin

Banned

if you are staying on the river a hand held radio will be fine if you know someone that will loan one to you if you dont normally use one, although i think it should be required on every vessel, you will be inshore enough to where distance should not be an issue. i know plenty of people that use a hand held unit only because they do not go off shore. good luck

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Worry about the painted trailer. Its almost impossible to get the salt out of all the areas it will get into. Once the salt has gotten in it will start doing what it does best. BEFORE YOU GO--- treat the trailer with some of the good corrosion proofing products that are out there to head off any salt intrusion that's possible. Between trailer springs, hardware, wheel nuts, shackles, bunk staples, wire connectors, axle u bolts, just to name a few items. Then after you get back spend some time washing it down, let it dry completely and re spray it with the corrosion/rust proofing products.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would be more worried about the salt in my motor than on my trailer there are some good points above. What I don't get is if your going to FL and bringing the boat I can't see not going fishing. Some of the biggest largemouth bass in the country, not to mention the access to either coast. Do your homwork, bring your poles and have fun.

TilliamWe

Banned

Fishon, I lived in Florida for 3 years,a nd did more boating in that time than I had done in the prior 22 years of my life. And at NO time did I ever feel like fishing. It's not for everyone, you know? Too much to do and see in FL, not sit in the HOT HOT HOT sun, waiting for fish to bite. No thanks.

thunder219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't fish much but when I do, I go out with my buddy that has a fishing boat. My boat is just an open bow ski boat and not set up at all for it. I knew I was going to Florida but yesterday I figured if I was driving this time I might as well take my boat because I have only had it out once this year because of my kids baseball games.
As far as the radio I boat with a lot of people around the lakes here and I only know of one person that has a radio. I always said I was going to get one but thought it would be a waste of money around here because of no one having one. Might be a good excuse to get one now just for this trip because I would rather spend a 100 bucks and never use it rather than need it and not have it.

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can concede its not for everyone then again theres no accounting for taste. That all aside early morning and late in the evening are great fishing times. In the salt play the tides and fish at night, wouldnt do it in fresh mosquitoes would carry you away. And your right there is alot to do when it gets hot go diving, snorkleing, skiing, sightseeing or go to a good resaurant but than its back to fishing

TilliamWe

Banned

thunder, having a handheld VHF radio is a great idea, period. No matter where you are. Go buy one, and don't be sorry for a second.