Boating Etiquette Questions

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Need some advice and thoughts on boating etiquette?

All questions reference operating on a River of about 400 ? 600 feet in width. I normally run at about 30 ? 35 mph with a 23 foot cuddy sport boat. During any of these scenarios is it proper to slow down or come off plane? I would have a good 200 feet of clearance in each scenario.

1 ? Approaching a family that is stopped on the side getting ready to do some tubing or skiing but have not begun (no one in the water).

2- Approaching a family that is already tubing or skiing and is picking up someone and is stopped (can clearly see the skier / tuber).

3 ? Fisherman in a small boat who is standing up.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boating Etiquette Questions

You are creating less waves by staying on a plane on top of the water. Unless of course you have a mess of water maggots (jet skis) jumping your wake; then, just stop the boat completely!

QC

Supreme Mariner

The only thing I will say is that if I am not in a hurry in a similar situation to #1 and #2 but with a wakeboarder or skier, I may simply stop and let them get glassy water if there is some. I have a friend who I boat with that is so clueless he will mess up my water . . . I've even told him and he simply doesn't get it. Doh!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It?s hard to say without being there in person to see the situation first hand but my first thought is why is someone participating in water sports in a waterway that narrow in the first place.

How much traffic is on the river? Surly, no one should expect to nor can they legally impede traffic because they decide to take up skiing in the middle of a water way.

As for the guy in the small boat, I?m somewhat sympathetic because I too am a fisherman but the reality of it is if ?normal? traffic and wave conditions are not conducive to their activity then they play at your own risk

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

I fish the Illinois river in my 14' Lund. Sometimes anchored,sometimes drifting.
It would be unrealistic to expect everyone who goes by to worry about their wake. And if I were standing when a large wake comes my way,maybe I should sit down??
I do appreciate that most people stay a decent distance away,though,when boating past me. And I stay as far away as possible when I pass stopped boats.

RobDar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I typically slow when passing as a courtesy.

...and someone said "you create less wake when on plane". As a tournamant fisherman who spends alot of time on the water...let me say that it is much better when someone SLOWS DOWN than if they fly by at speed. There is a big difference in the impact of a slow moving spread out wake from a slow moving boat and the wake of a boat that roared by.

The wake may actually be taller on a slow moving...but its slower speed and larger surface area make for a MUCH MORE GENTLE impact. This is also why alot of places have speed limits and no wake zones. The slower moving, drawn out wake has less physical impact against stationary objects. Do an experiment sometime....has someone fly through an area with moored boats...and then have someone go through at a slow speed...you will immediately see a dramtic difference in the way the moored boats behave in each situation. People who think they are doing others a favor by speeding by are fooling themselves...ask any physics professor.

If you want to be polite and try to make others on the water more comfortable, slow down.

bekosh

Lieutenant

I typically slow when passing as a courtesy.

...and someone said "you create less wake when on plane". As a tournamant fisherman who spends alot of time on the water...let me say that it is much better when someone SLOWS DOWN than if they fly by at speed. There is a big difference in the impact of a slow moving spread out wake from a slow moving boat and the wake of a boat that roared by.

The wake may actually be taller on a slow moving...but its slower speed and larger surface area make for a MUCH MORE GENTLE impact. This is also why alot of places have speed limits and no wake zones. The slower moving, drawn out wake has less physical impact against stationary objects. Do an experiment sometime....has someone fly through an area with moored boats...and then have someone go through at a slow speed...you will immediately see a dramtic difference in the way the moored boats behave in each situation. People who think they are doing others a favor by speeding by are fooling themselves...ask any physics professor.

If you want to be polite and try to make others on the water more comfortable, slow down.
If by 'slow down' you mean no wake speed you are correct.
Otherwise, maybe, maybe not. If I go by you at 50mph in my boat, you would barely notice the wake. As my speed drops, the wake gets larger. If I slow down to 25mph, you get a 3ft high breaker over your boat because I am just barely hanging on plane.

Unless you are going to come completly down to no wake speed, you are better off staying fully on plane. Less boat in the water=Less wake.