Boating Etiquette for 2002

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Boating Etiquette for 2002

What was woven into your last post was that in your opinion a great ski boat costs more than a great fishing boat, and ski gear cost more than lures. Thus skiing is more important than fishing or other recreational water activities? Investment = right-of-way? You are more than partially biased toward skiing, and for some nauseatingly arrogant reasons. :rolleyes:

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jeez... I never said that investment = right of way - Captain ultra is the one that implied that point. If I wanted to say this, I would have expicitely stated it. Do not put words in my mouth!<br /><br />What I did say was that I did not agree with the statement made by Capt Ultra stating that fishermen spent more than recreational boaters - I even stated I did not know the figures! <br /><br />Try re-reading the last paragraph of my last post. Everyone should be able to get along, but courtesy and education is the key to it... Until then, all we can do is state our opinions.

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

You must be kidding if you want to go from comparable small boats (bass & runabouts) try an offshore fishing boat. Give me the best ski boat MENT for skiing and I can top it with the best pleasure fishing boat.<br /><br />Even on a bass boat one good down rigger would cost as much as your skies, Add a good rod and real and times that by four and the boat is partially rigged. 3500.00 and I don't even have a hook, line or bait.<br /><br />I own a rod anf reel that costs as much as one of your skies.<br /><br />How many motors do you have on your boat, The boat I am currently outfitting will have three.<br /><br />Electronics<br /><br />lures<br /><br />nets<br /><br />All sorts of tackel and boxes<br /><br />And Of course we don't need USCG safety equip.<br /><br />If you say you are trying to make an honest point, can't you concide an avid fisherman spends more every year than an avid skier.<br /><br />And there is the ski trip vs the fishing trip. $$$<br /><br />Neither is cheap and it was not my point, you missed my point. It was manors, perpetrators, cause, effect and results.<br /><br />There is room in my pond for you but the way you came off not even a mention of the fisherman. Is there room in your pond (on the "smoothest" water)? And wanting the PWC's to find the dam? No comment!<br /><br />Best wishes

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Capt U, <br /><br />You cant exactly compare offshore fishing vessels to a competition ski boat, it makes no sense - of course the offshore would win. Either way, they are both expensive. <br /><br />However, the topic here is not who spends more money on their sport but about courtesy on the water. <br /><br />The comments stated regarding PWCs and tubers were meant in a humorous manner, which I stated several times in subsequent posts. <br /><br />Today in fact, we were the 1st boat on the lake, and when we were joined by fisherman, we respectufuly drew a line where we stopped skiing in either direction to not disturb them with our rollers. <br /><br />How's that for courtesy?

letsbarbq

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boating is suppose to be fun and stress free.<br /><br />Whats wrong with letting those little things go. Who out there can say that they are a perfect and courteous boater all the time. I know i try to be. But sometimes i get excited and take off and do donuts in the middle of the river with other boats around. Or sometime I run all close to fishers or stop in the middle of the river. Point is, heck i see it too. But i dont let it get to me. Man, I have plenty of other stress in my life already so, when i am on the water i don't want to be more stressed !<br /><br />Its a big water and it'll pass. I'm from down south too and like everywhere and everything in life. There's always a bad apple. <br /><br />Like my psychologist (ex-girl-friend) said, wow, you're so tense. You seem like you have lot on your mind. Why don't you tell me what's wrong. <br /><br />point is - to all boaters. take a chill pill.

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I said both were expensive and was not trying to debate who spends more.<br /><br />I gave a real life example of what happens when things get out of hand and what can happen.<br /><br />If I didn't give background on the money no one would have understood why lakes turn to fishing when pushed to make a choice.<br /><br />And I pointed out where I (my opinion) think the manors issue should be directed.<br /><br />I was posting about situations I know of, although the facts are as yet anecdotal it did happen, can happen and will happen.<br /><br />Best wishes

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BBQ,<br /><br />I wish I could say there were 'only' a few bad apples, but here in N Texas, it seems someone shook the tree and the bad ones fell into all the Dallas Area lakes. <br /><br />I am by no means perfect of course, but I try to maintain a level of courteousness that I wish would be contageous... <br /><br />By the way, what river do you use near port arthur, and is it all fresh water, or partially salt?

Chum Slick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have both a 18 ft ski boat that I pull the boys around on skis and tubes. I also have a 24 ft Mako that I fish. I have been checked numerous times by the local DNR as to current fishing license but have never had a DNR officer want to see my ski or tube pulling license. I use the water for many reasons, fist is the fact that I love being on the water and have been all of my life. I have witnessed far more inconsiderate behaviour from skiers and tubers than from fishermen/women. As far as the financial aspect, I believe that fishing is still the number one rated recreational sport in the country as far as bringing in revenue to the states.<br /><br /><br />Keep the bait in the Slick.....

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chum,<br /><br />It's probably because there are more people involved with fishing, not necessarily because it costs more.

Raghauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Interesting conversation... I can't resist jumping in.<br /><br /><sarcasm on><br /><br />As my name implies, I am a (insert expletive here) sailor... I was here first, hundreds of years before you stink potters came around... it's my water, so stay off it!<br /><br /><sarcasm off><br /><br />Really, courtesy is the word to live by when boating, both to those on board your vessel and to those aboard vessels around you. That rule has been in place since the beginning of pleasure boating and fishing... long before the advent of planing hulls and water skiing. Let's all do our part in maintaining that important rule.<br /><br />I think debating this issue here is a bit like preaching to the chior. If each one of us has the time and interest to visit this community BB, then it is probable that we all know and abide by the ROR, mutual courtesty, etc. It is the weekend warriors who do not take boating safety seriously who need this sermon. PWC's have made access to the water very affordable to a whole new genre of captain, many of which don't take the time to become somewhat educated before trailering from the dealer directly to the boat ramp. We become the teachers applying lessons in the field to these idiots... let's not immediately stoop to their level when they screw up. Always apply courtesy first.<br /><br />If that fails and the opposing skipper does not return a courteous attitude, then by all means, turn the carrier into the wind, fire a warning shot across their bow, and prepare to defend your actions. I've been there, and will be again I suppose, but we all need to get along or else land lubber politicians are going to move in and and scrap with all of us, skiers, fisherman PWC'ers and raghaulers alike. :mad:

letsbarbq

Petty Officer 1st Class

30 posts...way to go riverrat. good topic. You ever taking up day time show biz.. like "gerry springer". <br /><br />i'm here in the Neches River all nasty muddy water and it leads straight out to the gulf of mexice. where its salty and muddy too.<br /><br />we go cruisin sometimes on lake san rayburn. thats fresh. and has alot of UN-courteous college kids and young bucks. but its a lake so i move on. Plus did i also say that i am one of those young bucks. but with "ettiquette 2002"

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd like to add one more breach of the etiquette rules.<br />I find here in NZ you can be anchored up a long way away from any heavely used boating area, minding your own buisiness fishing, when one of those huge gin palaces comes up and usus you as a bouy to turn around. Result, wet,wet,wet!<br />And No! our coastguard are voluntary and not a part the military, they don't give out tickets - although I think they should.<br />Ross

Toontime

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like some freshwater bull sharks and alligators would cure a lot of problems in Texas!

Ranger354

Petty Officer 1st Class

I noticed the Game Warden on the lake a lot more last year then in years past. We actually need 3. 2 on the water in boats and 1 at the ramp. Back some years ago the State of Texas limited the hours a GW could work in a week. As I understand it they can only work 40 hours, so if they spend any weekdays on the water that limits the weekend days on the water.<br /><br />I would be very much be in support of a boating license. It would generate more Rev for the Wardens. That is, after the politicians got their cut. <br /><br />The only trouble with this post is that Joe Idiot is not going to read it. And if he does he won't know that we are talking about HIM!

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Ebbtide, <br /><br />Actually, North Texas is home of one Lake Lewisville, notorious for the idiot factor. It has been noted as one of the most dangerous lakes in the country, with rumors (note: i said RUMORS) that Dennis Rodman even purposely ran over some girls in a runabout after they snubbed him, permanently disfiguring one of them. I think the case remains unsolved... I used to boat/ski there, but on the "old" part of the lake before drought drove me away...<br /><br />Toontime, Some fisherman actually caught a pirahna in Lake Lewisville! There was a picture in the paper of it.<br /><br />Ranger, I agree that more game wardens are needed or other lake patrols.

D

DJ

No question-there are alot of knuckleheads out there.<br /><br />However, I find it just as dangerous to be anywhere in the vicinity of a teenage girl with a cell phone behind the wheel of a red (graduation present) Honda.

ebbtide176

Commander

how bout this: we become the official board of water passes, you know, ya hafta have a pass to get on the inland water... :D <br /><br />i'm jesting of course

skopje

Recruit

For those PWCers that want to buzz the boat, I keep a rod & reel rigged with 20# fireline and a 2oz topwater bait with lots of trebble hooks. If the firwire doesn't cut a deep groove, the topwater will.<br /><br />Gee offcer, I was just fishing and minding my own business, and this guy just came up so fast I misjudged where he would be. Do you think they can sew his arm back on?<br /><br />Skopje

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Skopje,<br /><br />Personally, I'd rather see someone shoot a potato gun at an obnoxious boater. At least we'd get a good laugh out of it...<br /><br />I thought everyone would find this statistics page interesting... it looks like recreational boating has taken dips each year since 1999, in categories such as waterskiing, PWCs and sailboats... It looks like the # of outboards has risen steadily in each of thre last 3 years which MAY (notice i said MAY) imply the # of fishermen has risen (either that or barefoot skiiers which I doubt). <br /> http://www.nmma.org/facts/boatingstats/2001/files/populationestimates.asp