Boat with about 40 gallons of 2 or 3 year old gas? Should I use seafoam and run it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aviator79

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Boat with about 40 gallons of 2 or 3 year old gas? Should I use seafoam and run

I have 20 gallons of mixed gas I need to get rid of. There is a recycle center in Beacon falls but it is only for Beacon Falls,Bethlehem,Middlebury,Naugatuck,Oxford,Southbury,Thomaston,Waterbury,Watertown,Woodbury and I live in Seymour. Put an add in CL, but doubt that will work. I just need to sell the boat and want to show that the engine runs. PITA.

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat with about 40 gallons of 2 or 3 year old gas? Should I use seafoam and run

When I purchased my boat it had been sitting on land for 5 years. The owner insisted the fuel tank had been emptied and cleaned. I'm unsure when at some point it was refueled, but sure enough after 25 gallons of fresh gas, the tank was full. It never smelled bad, and with 200+ gallons, I took my chances. The boat ran alright through that tank. The screens on the carbs got gummed up at one point, and the starboard motor had a slight stumbled when getting on plane. After A 190 gallon refuel mid summer, she never gummed the screens again, and the stumble almost went completely away.

I'm not sure if the gas was 5 years old or not, but the boat ran half a season on it, although not perfectly.

We have already run 25 gallons of 3-year old gas out of our 1992 Celebrity 200 Cuddy. We could only get the boat, on plane, up to 28 mph and that is a 5.7L Mercruiser I/O V-8 350 Chevy engine. We know the boat can go somewhat faster than that, but with the gas that's in it and the prop that's on it, 28 mph was tops.

We still have around 25 gallons of the 3-year old gas in the tank yet and have no way to drain the tank or anyplace to dispose of it. So, want to do more circles around local lake at 28 mph and use as much of the old gas as possible. After we get as much as possible of the gas out, we will fill with premium gas and add a ethanol treatment to it, before winterizing.

Really hate running this gas thru the engine, but simply don't have any other choice.

mr 88

Commander
We have already run 25 gallons of 3-year old gas out of our 1992 Celebrity 200 Cuddy. We could only get the boat, on plane, up to 28 mph and that is a 5.7L Mercruiser I/O V-8 350 Chevy engine. We know the boat can go somewhat faster than that, but with the gas that's in it and the prop that's on it, 28 mph was tops.

We still have around 25 gallons of the 3-year old gas in the tank yet and have no way to drain the tank or anyplace to dispose of it. So, want to do more circles around local lake at 28 mph and use as much of the old gas as possible. After we get as much as possible of the gas out, we will fill with premium gas and add a ethanol treatment to it, before winterizing.

Really hate running this gas thru the engine, but simply don't have any other choice.

This is a 8 year old post , talk about beating a dead horse to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.