Boat was sunk ! need advise.

bill giffear

Seaman
Boat was sunk ! need advise.

My 18ft.fleetwing 90hp evin.was docked at a marina this weekend for enginework to be done,a bad wind storm blew up over night and sunk my boat.The marina manager said they are not responsible for my loss.It cost me $500 to have it salvaged by Towboat and the engine is shot,has anyone ever had a problem like this,I need some advice.thanks bill

sloopy

Commander
Re: Boat was sunk ! need advise.

get a lawyer involved!... But how the **** does an outboard boat sink?

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Its the marina's responsibility and covered by their insurance because it's in their care. Even if their not insured. To save a sunk engine the work has to be done as soon as it leaves the water or leave it there until you can.

hey mate how does a boat sink without a hole in it

martyscher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure how big the storms are in PA, but would a boat not sink if it was swamped by enough large waves?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I hope you got pitures too. They can really help you in court. <br />I am no lawyer, But hate seeing ssomeone get the short end....<br />If I left a boat at a marina in thier care, whateer happens is thier responsabiltiy, regarless of those "not responsable for theft or loss" signs. It was negligence on someone's part.And as you left it in thier care, the negligence is thiers.

my new fishmaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have them un sink it and give you a hand. The outboard could be salvaged get it out of the water. Take the plugs out slowly try and turn flywheel clockwise. Might want to squirt automatic tranny fluid in there. Let it dry for a couple week in the heat so the water if out of the eletrical parts. I bet with some work she will start again.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

My outboard sunk in SALT WATER. When I took it to the dealer, they just hosed it off, let it dry and fired it up. I couldn't believe my eyes, but it's still running fine two years later. I agree that you boat was in the care and custody of the yard and they are responsible. Good luck.

when i say sunk i mean sunk i had a 12ft aluminum boat now check i had a trolling motor,gas out board 10hp,all my gear,lanterns,5gal gas,and two over wheight guys on board.we were fighting at night drunker than a skunk and i got up to strech and triped on something well let tell you we took on some pretty good water to the point of looking like two men in a tub. i mean the boat was filled to the top. with all the floatation devises a boat has it still floated we bailed and bailed then went home :) :cool: