Boat VS Kaboat? Need to decide

ReelSlow72

Seaman Apprentice
Hello fellas! I had been a part of an old thread but I may be the only one :blue: I was hoping to find some insight as to which boat is better for my needs. I had liked the kaboat that Saturn makes but am not able to find out any real user pro's and con's other than a rant or rave - can someone offer me some guidance. I dont have any dealers around me and am not a big fan of buying sight unseen so any advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks! C. Greene

Re: Boat VS Kaboat? Need to decide

Hello fellas! I had been a part of an old thread but I may be the only one :blue: I was hoping to find some insight as to which boat is better for my needs. I had liked the kaboat that Saturn makes but am not able to find out any real user pro's and con's other than a rant or rave - can someone offer me some guidance. I dont have any dealers around me and am not a big fan of buying sight unseen so any advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks! C. Greene

Ive always been a fan of the kaboat myself - I prefer the air floor and functionality of the kayak like design. Some people prefer the wider models but I've never been a fan tho

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class

The best way to see if one will fulfill your needs is to buy one. They sell for $700 -800, so it is not like buying a large inflatable and finding that you don't like it. At the worst you would lose only a few hundred dollars if it did not satisfy you.

You are right in that posters either like them or do not want anything to do with one. What you personally want out of a boat is most important, not what satisfies someone else.

There are enough you tubes available to give you a taste for what they do or do not do well.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Saturn products are fine. They're not great, but they're fine. Most of the "rants" you've seen probably come from people calling them out for deceptive marketing. It just rankles me (and plenty of others) that every time a Saturn thread is initiated anywhere on the WWW there are suddenly new forum members posting for the first time to extoll the virtues of their transcendent new Saturn. Anywho, I digress. What are your needs? Unless you articulated them somewhere else we can't be of much help without that info.:)

ReelSlow72

Seaman Apprentice

The best way to see if one will fulfill your needs is to buy one. They sell for $700 -800, so it is not like buying a large inflatable and finding that you don't like it. At the worst you would lose only a few hundred dollars if it did not satisfy you.

You are right in that posters either like them or do not want anything to do with one. What you personally want out of a boat is most important, not what satisfies someone else.

There are enough you tubes available to give you a taste for what they do or do not do well.

Tis very true. It wont break the bank but its still a mighty investment. I been watching this here fellas youtube videos where he uses his kaboat in whitewater. I dont think I'll be all that adventurous but its nice to see what they can hold up against.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_462woPVMKE&list=UUsZDd4ptZ5mCcSFUEEtUXAg

Saturn products are fine. They're not great, but they're fine. Most of the "rants" you've seen probably come from people calling them out for deceptive marketing. It just rankles me (and plenty of others) that every time a Saturn thread is initiated anywhere on the WWW there are suddenly new forum members posting for the first time to extoll the virtues of their transcendent new Saturn. Anywho, I digress. What are your needs? Unless you articulated them somewhere else we can't be of much help without that info.:)

I can appreciate that and thank you for that feedback. I found a few of those there threads myself and unfortunately they didnt offer me much more than a distraction.

I am looking for a boat I can use mainly on the lakes I visit throughout the year while I am on the road. I essentially would like to be able to move the darn thing myself and not need a massive motor to get her underway. Something 12+ footer would be nice - Ideally I'd like to be able to bring me grandkids out for some fishin. They some youngsters that frankly dont weigh all that much. I had seen the Saturns listed for some great prices I wasn't able to find the competitors able to come close to. It sparked my interest but also made me wanna find out what I could about these here folks before I go sending over my SS check :lol::facepalm:

Thank you kindly for your help gentleman. I appreciate the feedback

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice

Tis very true. It wont break the bank but its still a mighty investment. I been watching this here fellas youtube videos where he uses his kaboat in whitewater. I dont think I'll be all that adventurous but its nice to see what they can hold up against.

I can appreciate that and thank you for that feedback. I found a few of those there threads myself and unfortunately they didnt offer me much more than a distraction.

I am looking for a boat I can use mainly on the lakes I visit throughout the year while I am on the road. I essentially would like to be able to move the darn thing myself and not need a massive motor to get her underway. Something 12+ footer would be nice - Ideally I'd like to be able to bring me grandkids out for some fishin. They some youngsters that frankly dont weigh all that much. I had seen the Saturns listed for some great prices I wasn't able to find the competitors able to come close to. It sparked my interest but also made me wanna find out what I could about these here folks before I go sending over my SS check :lol::facepalm:

Buddy all you need for what you describe IS JUST THAT, ALL YOU NEED. I would love to have a KaBoat, i currently have an M4 and a Seahawk 4 as my backup hull. I WANT, WANT, WANT a KaBoat. But even if i was with no boat right now- i could not justify the price of the KaBoat, the M4 is the correct choice for what you describe. (Heck if you made a floor and bought planks to span the hull sides of the Seahawk 4 it would be more than adequate as well.

On the M4, keep an eye on Amazon, you can get the N4 and the composite motor mount around $270 to your door. Niw listen, once mid May gets here add $85 to that- no lie.

On the Seahawk 4, low for those with no motor mount is $80,- keep watching it, sometimes they drop into the mid $60's for three days or so. (Don't bother with Seahawk unless you are willing to make a floor, which is no big deal) also, the vinyl on the Seahawk 4, not 2, not 3.. But the Seahawk 4... It it quite thick and very robust, holds up to a lot)

If you buy the M4 you are DONE, first try with zero regrets- i promise- youll dig it!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Can't compare the water performance of a Saturn against a Seahawk water toy, invest well or repent forever.

Happy Boating

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice

Sea Rider- where in the description of what he is looking for does a well equipped S4 not fulfill his needs? (This being his first inflatable to boot?)

Its a cool site other than the occasional snobbish comment.

(And i believe i suggested the M4 there big chief)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Most of us have begun our boating experience with a first entry sib including myself. At that time there weren't too much alterrnatives to choose from. Now if I would need to buy a first entry sib would go straight to the more pro ones. The reason is simple, material thickness and construction method, pleated welded seams against overlapped glued or thermo welded.. It's comparing a Fiat 500 against a SUV.

Both will take you there, the second with a motor much better and faster....

Happy Boating

Last edited:

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do not believe anyone can tell another person what he will be satisfied with. You can point out basic differences, but it is up to the other fellow what he wants.

Personally if the boat is made of unsupported fabric, I would not want it, but some do enjoy them. Unsupported fabric cannot be inflated to the point that it is rigid, therefor it is limited to very low power propulsion systems. Note that many who own them spend time attempting to make them rigid with floorboards which is an acknowledgement that they are basically floppy craft. Due to the low power acceptable, they darn sure are not safe in swift waters. They are basically balloons shaped like watercraft and meant to be used as toys.

Craft with supported fabric can usually be inflated to the point that they are firm which overcomes the inadequacy of unsupported craft. These can vary from minimum duty to heavy duty craft and are much, much safer. They are more expensive but are suitable for much harder service.

As far as long and narrow or short and beamy, that is a decision for the buyer. The water it is suitable for varies with the design.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Okay, so given what you've said I don't think you'd be happy with a Kaboat. IMO you need something bigger and beamier. Looks like you can get a Saturn SD 330W, which is an eleven foot extra wide dinghy with inflatable floor, for a grand plus $129 shipping. Or, you can get the SD365, which is a twelve foot dinghy with inflatable floor, for $1050 plus $119 shipping. Either of these should serve you well for at least ten years provided you store it properly and don't abuse it. A small outboard (9.9 or so) should be sufficient for either, and the inflatable floor means no plywood or other rigid floor material to deal with. Now the caveat. Saturn rafts are a relatively cheap way to get on the water with something that's a step above the pool toy lines (Intex, Sevylor, Coleman, etc.) and you'd probably be happy with one. I would have no qualms taking my precious cargo out in one. Just know that the company is still an unknown so you may or may not get the warranty support you need should you have an issue. Not saying you won't, just saying it's something you need to consider before you pull the trigger. I'm not trying to sell you on a Saturn. There are definitely better brands out there, but if after careful consideration you decide that's what you want I don't think you'll regret the choice. Take that, haters.:lol:

fbpooler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe I am slow, but none of the posts appear to be from haters.

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice

It was a joke,

Scroll up and you will see smiley faces, around here that means (Stripes reference) "Lighten up Francis"

And again- first boat/ traveling retiree, handling the boat solo, Intex Mariner M4 from Amazon, with motor mount $270. An "investment"?... NOPE- thats the point, this is his FIRST INFLATABLE.

For freshwater fishing go with a shortshaft 55lb MinnKota. If you insist on gas Tohatsu 3.5 horse.

:)

(Smiley face)

;)

Last edited:

stilesp

Seaman Apprentice

Guys he already owns a SD330W and SD385. I think he is looking for something smaller and packable. I own the 12ft Kaboat which was my entry boat 2yrs ago that I got off ebay used for cheap. It has been a great boat "for me" but obviously now that I know I dig inflatables I've upgraded but you already have bigger boats and you know Saturn is decent quality for what you pay. Do you want to buy my 12fter? LOL

Brian B.

Seaman Apprentice

He does already own two? I missed that somewhere. How much does the smallest KaBoat weigh? They do look very well built, just kinda narrow.

stilesp

Seaman Apprentice

It was in past threads I just remembered he posted a nice pic of SD385.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Guys he already owns a SD330W and SD385. I think he is looking for something smaller and packable. I own the 12ft Kaboat which was my entry boat 2yrs ago that I got off ebay used for cheap. It has been a great boat "for me" but obviously now that I know I dig inflatables I've upgraded but you already have bigger boats and you know Saturn is decent quality for what you pay. Do you want to buy my 12fter? LOL

You know, you really should PM him if you think you might want to sell him your kaboat. I still don't think it's ideal for him, but if you bought it cheap and could sell it to him cheap it might meet his needs.

stilesp

Seaman Apprentice

I'm only half joking about selling my Kaboat. I'd try to sell it local before I'd go through the hassle of shipping it somewhere.

Sinistre1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just for grins and giggles.... where IS local?? lol.